Ibanez Barrel Jack Socket- Alternatives for..

rprrpr Frets: 309
Yeah that useless, feckin' thing that Ibanez fit to their guitars for no benefit that I can see. Mines is on the way out and i was wondering if i use a Switchcraft socket-intended for 335 style guitars- without any need to drill or route- instead? I do have a new barrel socket here, however it looks a bit longer than the fitted one and the cavity is a bit crammed as it is.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    You can't usually fit a standard open-frame jack in place of a barrel jack, the thickness of wood it has to pass through is too great. If it's one of those Ibanez recessed ones it's not possible to bore it out easily either, unless you want to cover it with a Strat-style plate. (Seen that done…)

I totally agree with you about how crap barrel jacks are and they should never be used on any instrument if there's an alternative, which is basically always true apart from acoustic guitar endpin jacks. Why they have become popular on some high-end guitars I have no idea, unless it's because people who buy high-end guitars shouldn't have a problem paying a tenner for a new jack every couple of years...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom