Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Unbelievable eBay bargains - am I missing something?

What's Hot
I've just had a casual browse on eBay for some of my favourite amps, like the 6505, classic 50, and some Laney amps.

Laney amps are CHEAP.  I'm not in any way connected to these listings, but check these out:

So cheep!

Am I missing something?  As far as I know, they're fairly well built and reliable amps, though I've heard cab construction is a bit of a pain and the tolex peels (not a big deal for me personally, but might pee off a repairman!).  My old LH50R was a stunner, but didn't have quite enough gain - bit too classic. For these prices, a VH100 could be on the cards next year!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    I love both the VH100 and the GH50 and the prices they go for are very, very attractive.  I've never really dug the TT series and those who own the seem to value them much higher than the other two.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited October 2013
    I've never used a TT, but I have tried the GH which were AMAZING but lack the clean channel that I really would need for gigging...

The VH I've never tried, but I have seen several bands using them live and frankly, they sounded huge.  I can only imagine they're either out of fashion, or unreliable, or... Something else? 

In any case, I'm keeping an eye out for a VC50 (iirc, that's a VH50 amp in a combo format).  If I see one, I'll flog my amp and cab and get it.

EDIT: I remember Paul Gilbert used the VC50 for a long time, and I know Dragonforce (laugh all you like, they were hilariously fun at Download...) used to use them...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The Laney VH100R is a great amp. Probably the most reliable amp I've EVER had - EVER. Never had any worries with the one I bought, and the other Tacoma guitarist bought it off me and has no problems either. Great amps.

The second one I bought, once it was serviced, also no problems.

They are quite noisy though. You definitely do need a gate, ideally one that you can enable only for the distortion channels.

Only reason I sold mine was because I was bored and wanted a change - thus began my hunt, until I ended up eventually going Marshall! Can't really go back to the Laney in this current band, so I sold my second VH100R to a mate. I'd get one again though if I was after an amp.
  • The VC50 is a pretty awesome combo.  I had seen a few go for less than £200 but were collection only and miles away.

I think all Laneys drop in value pretty quick because they don't have many big name endorsers besides the obvious few so don't seem as cool as a Marshall stack.  Pound for pound on the used market a lot of Laneys or some Peaveys are brilliant value.

• Yeah it's pretty crazy depreciation! The vh looks bloody amazing. Switchable bias, too!
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    It would put me off buying a new Laney though.
  • I had a VH100R...my only complaint with is was that it was so bloody heavy. I never had a huge amount of luck with getting a big distorted rhythm sound, but I also didn't have a bloody clue what I was doing back then.

If it weren't for the weight, it'd be the perfect amp for a pedal-based setup from my experience. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably be able to get a lot more out of it as-is...

No. I don't need another amp. Stop talking. STOP TALKING...
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscream;61111" said:
    I had a VH100R...my only complaint with is was that it was so bloody heavy. I never had a huge amount of luck with getting a big distorted rhythm sound, but I also didn't have a bloody clue what I was doing back then.

If it weren't for the weight, it'd be the perfect amp for a pedal-based setup from my experience. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably be able to get a lot more out of it as-is...

No. I don't need another amp. Stop talking. STOP TALKING...
    DO IT.

Then pass it on to me for a reduced cost ;)

Seriously, I have no idea what I'd do with an enormous amp like that. But I'd have a right laugh finding out...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10341
    tFB Trader
    I would never be parted from my Laney LC30 Mk 2. I got it silly cheap and it can sound absolutely brilliant. The caveat is that you have to know how to set it up to best advantage ... otherwise the drive channel can sound muddy at lower gain or tizzy at high gain.
    I bought my son a LC30 Mk 1 a couple of weeks before I got my own for only a hair over £100 ... and that's been great for him too.
    The only problems have been when a ham footed band mate bust a jack socket.
    Laney don't have the glam factor of other makes, but the sound is there ... at lest to my ears.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I had a Laney Chrome O Zone combo for a few years, sounded great but was very unreliable. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    They're not Marshall or Vox, it's as simple as that. Never mind that they're often better sounding, better looking and cheaper, even from new. I love the VC15- it's a brilliant bit of kit.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deijavoo said:
    I had a Laney Chrome O Zone combo for a few years, sounded great but was very unreliable. 
    Heard of those, funky looking things.  Also heard about reliability issues... Shame, seems like a well spec'd amp.  

I was half expecting the VH100r to come back as unreliable because of the price, but...
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    It sounded lovely indeed. Quite rare now too, it was £999 back in the mid 90s. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    When I bought my Laney VH originally they were £799, from Richtone. They're now closer to a grand :(
  • Deijavoo said:
    It sounded lovely indeed. Quite rare now too, it was £999 back in the mid 90s. 
    Always wondered about the Chrome O Zone.  They pop up on EBay every now and again but I've never tried one. 
  • Just remembered the other shite thing about Laney...

They used AWFUL HH speakers.  I have a gs210 cab with 10" drivers, and it's not as bad as the 12" ones but they're dull and lifeless compared to many others.  Which is a shame, because the cab seems solidly built, so it would be a great candidate for a speaker upgrade.

I shouldn't trash because I'll probably try and sell it on here at some point, and it is a fine cab - but seriously, Laney let themselves down on the speaker front... Newer versions of this cab come with C10q's which are better, or celestion 7080's. 

• Those 'specially designed for Laney' ones?  I remember reading somewhere that when one of the HH factories shut, Laney bought up a load of old stock speakers and stickered them up, then whacked them in everything as 'special design' speakers.  They are indeed dog turd.
  • That's them.  I'm guessing they were the primary reason the amps never cost the earth.  

Deer lawd, I need to stop looking.  I'm just a couple of weeks away from giving a sum of wonga away to a man with wood.

Read into that as you will, I'm just waiting for him to email me back...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    The odd thing about the speakers is that the Lionheart cabs come with Heritage G12H-30 speakers, which I would almost class as 'unnecessarily expensive', and make the cabs look overpriced.

I really don't think they do themselves any favours with the cosmetics either - they just look cheap. It's not just the crap vinyl - the corner protectors and even just the screws look more B&Q than they do something which belongs on a decent quality guitar amp. The logo is dull too. It would cost almost nothing to improve this sort of thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, the corner protectors on my LH50 did rust a bit, too.  These are things I don't care about at all, but you're right - it wouldn't cost a great deal...

How are the innards?  Have you ever worked on a VH100, VC50 etc?  General consensus on t'internet is that they're okay.  I reckon, for around £450, a VH100r and a Harley Benton 2x12 is a pretty bargaintastic sounding rig for rock, metal and (judging from clean demos) country and funk.  It might need a bit of help with a drive or boost pedal for the really heavy stuff...