Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Unbelievable eBay bargains - am I missing something?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72264
    They're not bad - they have cut corners, but usually not in ways that cause problems. They did have a run of dreadful valve sockets that needed re-tensioning or replacing after one valve change on some of the models though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    ICBM said:
    (a) The odd thing about the speakers is that the Lionheart cabs come with Heritage G12H-30 speakers, which I would almost class as 'unnecessarily expensive', and make the cabs look overpriced.

(b) I really don't think they do themselves any favours with the cosmetics either - they just look cheap. It's not just the crap vinyl - the corner protectors and even just the screws look more B&Q than they do something which belongs on a decent quality guitar amp. The logo is dull too. It would cost almost nothing to improve this sort of thing.
    (a) Yeah. I got a good deal on mine, and they do sound great to be fair, but no way I'd have paid the the usual going rate.

(b) Yeah :))

On some of the models I'd say the sound is maybe a little bit generic. But I'd still say even those ones sound "good". And some of them sound great (if a little noisy sometimes). No idea on how well they're built, of course, but as weasel says, the sound's there. In my opinion, anyway.

^ Didn't some of the 80s models have a problem with the tube sockets? I seem to remember someone on another forum saying that. The AOR, maybe?
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013

Dave_Mc said:
      On some of the models I'd say the sound is maybe a little bit generic. But I'd still say even those ones sound "good". And some of them sound great (if a little noisy sometimes). No idea on how well they're built, of course, but as weasel says, the sound's there. In my opinion, anyway.
    I agree with you there, although even the generic sounding ones do make great pedal platform amps.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72264
    Dave_Mc said:
    Didn't some of the 80s models have a problem with the tube sockets? I seem to remember someone on another forum saying that. The AOR, maybe?
    Yes. Ongoing problem... although to be fair, a lot of other makers have had the same sort of issues.

Marshall DSLs just arc through the circuit board instead :)).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

^ :))

When you say "ongoing", do you mean even with current models?
    Dave_Mc said:
    I agree with you there, although even the generic sounding ones do make great pedal platform amps.
    Possibly, I've only tried them in shops, without pedals (the more generic-sounding ones, I mean- I have a GH50L which sounds very good IMO). Those ones also tended to have the more, er, economical stock speakers so that probably wasn't helping, either.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Some amps just don't seem that fashionable. Peavey Valvekings and Windsors go cheaply too, and they're both (largely) brilliant.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I didn't like the Valveking. Too mushy sounding, maybe a TS would tighten it up. The Peavey Classic was pretty decent though!
    Admittedly, I have that issue with most 6L6-based amps. But at under £200 for a 100w head, I could get around it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Brett Kingman - the Antipodean who does some of the PGS demos is a great Laney fan

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

A mate still has it and it sounds glorious. In fact... I could be tempted again, y'know.. <scuttles off to ebay>
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2013
    They are great sounding. Reliable, too, or mine was, but @icbm has said they can have some shabby cosmetics (poor tolex, sometimes poor cabs made from mdf). But if you pick up a vh100r for 400 quid, you have a pro quality touring amp for... Well, 400 quid! My old one (lh50) was a cracker, and my mate has a vc50 (50 watt combo of the vh100 that Paul Gilbert is famous for using) that is fecking awesome, lovely cleans, crunch and epic high gain stuff.

They also do, in my opinion, the best sounding clean amp there is - the lionheart l50h. 5xel34s (!) running is something that is probably closer to class a than a regular class a amp.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    ICBM said:
    I really don't think they do themselves any favours with the cosmetics either - they just look cheap. It's not just the crap vinyl - the corner protectors and even just the screws look more B&Q than they do something which belongs on a decent quality guitar amp. The logo is dull too. It would cost almost nothing to improve this sort of thing.
    Not sure how to come up with a different way to write Laney. The logo looks OK to me.  And who, apart from guitar players, would even notice that the guitarist was using a Laney amp/combo let alone the poor quality of the corner protectors......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    On the Laney front, if anyone's in Sussex this runs the risk of being a bit of a bargain (if you're already watching it and cursing my name now, drop me a message and I'll pull the link ;))...

A VC30 212 just ended at £77, just down the road from me. Annoying really, my max bid was £75. Not a bad price for a £550 amp brand new!
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Seems I didn't jinx it after all then - you'd struggle to find a better amp bargain :o 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Cheap Roland GA112 here. Like most I know nothing about them other than they've flopped rather sharpish:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-GA-112-Amplifier-/181279983324?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2a352106dc
    Bidley said:
    A VC30 212 just ended at £77, just down the road from me. Annoying really, my max bid was £75. Not a bad price for a £550 amp brand new!
    That's crazy value, surely? I'm guessing people don't like a 2x12 as it's heavy (plus they have mediocre stock speakers, I think, so you'd ideally need to budget for a swap)...

Actually the main reason is probably collection only. I don't keep too close of an eye on ebay prices, but that's the one thing that really seems to keep prices way down.
  • Another vote for Laney amps here. I have a VC30 112 which has served me well over the years. It mainly gets used as a backup/small venue amp these days but it's a pretty good sounding and reliable amp. You can pick them up for amzingly cheap prices, even compared to the likes of the Classic 30 which very much keeps it's value.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I have a VH100, its great but it sits the basement because its so heavy.
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    I think Opeth had an endorsement with laney , they never had a bad guitar sound .
    Flown the nest .