Unexpected rig change

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
I love my little Zoom B3 - it's very versatile, sounds good and has a lot of useful features, and it seems to sound pretty much the same into any amp. Great for the sort of gigs I'm likely to do where there is usually a house bass amp. I was genuinely happy with it and not looking for anything else.

Then the guitarist in my band decided to sell a fuzz pedal - I thought it would give me a sound I wanted for guitar, which was the signature tone of a band I like. But I made fatal mistake... out of a sense of idle curiosity I tried it for bass.

Oh dear. I'm going to need to re-think my entire set-up, because this

http://www.wattson-fx.com/gallery.html

produces the most epic bass tone in the history of epic bass things. Actually, two of them - the two tone switch settings are very different, but each is absolutely fantastic, and broadly replace my two main sounds from the Zoom (Rat and Bass Muff models - which I had compared to the real pedals and are close), except that each is *far* better.

It's a modern clone of the Shin-Ei FY-6, which was also sold as the Univox Superfuzz and several other brand names, and is the fuzz part of the Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz-Wah as used (for guitar) by the Jesus And Mary Chain.

Tone 1 is a middy, fairly standard fuzz but rather more dynamic and responsive to playing than normal. Tone 2 is a huge scooped synthy, slightly octaved fuzz which is the most powerful sound I've ever used on bass.

I've tried cloning the sounds with the Zoom and I can't even get close - it just sounds too restrained and dull, even on the most aggressive settings - and it's not that the Superfuzz is harsh either, it's just far more dynamic and 'present'.

Problems... first, although it's very quiet when used on a battery, it's very noisy on a power supply. Probably not a big issue since the current draw is pretty low and it will be fine to run it on a battery, although the Boss TU-2 I will need as well if I'm not using the Zoom draws a bit more. Second... it kills amplifiers. Probably. Or at least, when I unwisely turned up a bit too far at band practice, the studio's Trace Elliot AH500 produced the most unmusical, broken-sounding distortion I've ever heard out of an amp, and I stopped immediately for fear of blowing either the amp or the speakers. So this could be a problem at provided-amp gigs. (My Peavey handles it just fine, but weighs as much as a small car so I was hoping to avoid using it.)

Oh well... I think I'll just have to find a way round it, because I'm not going to not use this thing!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Hahahaha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    @timhulio of Fredric FX may be the expert here. IIRC he has worked on the originals owned by TJAMC and does an FY-2 clone and a switchable FY-2 to FY-6 pedal, both ( I think) with some level boost to overcome the low level output of the originals.
    quick mooch on YouTube couldn't bring up anyone using any of the variations on bass.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the mention! I think he means noise when you're not playing though. The FY-6, unlike the FY-2, has no shortage of volume in stock configuration. Ours differs very slightly in that there's a touch of RF and noise filtering (and power filtering, but I can't imagine the Wattson doesn't have this) as to whether there's enough filtering for your taste I don't know. If you want to try one and can get to London I think Regent Sounds have some (possibly Vint & Rare in Bath too, but check first).

This is the FY-2/FY-6 combo pedal:
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    timhulio said:
    Thanks for the mention! I think he means noise when you're not playing though. The FY-6, unlike the FY-2, has no shortage of volume in stock configuration. Ours differs very slightly in that there's a touch of RF and noise filtering (and power filtering, but I can't imagine the Wattson doesn't have this) as to whether there's enough filtering for your taste I don't know. If you want to try one and can get to London I think Regent Sounds have some (possibly Vint & Rare in Bath too, but check first).

This is the FY-2/FY-6 combo pedal:
    Yes, noise when not playing. It seems prone to induced noise via the power supply when other heavier-draw pedals are connected, so I think it's simply a filtering issue. To my surprise it does *not* appear to have any more filtering than the original battery-only circuit (a single 10uF cap), and no reverse-polarity protection either. Being a faithful clone of the original circuit is a good thing - not adding sensible precautions for the modern world is not so much.

@timhulio  - that Super Unpleasant Companion looks like fun… what does the FY-2 sound like for bass? :D

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Quite good really. Not massive like the FY-6, but I sell lots of FY-2s to bassists because the bassist from The Radioheads used an FY-2 on one of their songs.

Bass sound at about 3:00

Hmmm… interesting, but probably not really my thing. Much prefer the FY-6.

Aha! And now I discover that the Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz is based on the FY-6 :). I thought it sounded similar...

It also has EQ - even more bass boost, if you want - and a volume boost mode, and best of all proper reliable and silent buffered switching. I've borrowed one and it can sound pretty similar, although not exactly the same. But maybe a better choice for gigging. I hate 3PDTs.