An Old Valve Radio...

What's Hot
RoxRox Frets: 2147
I picked up an old valve radio at the boot sale at the weekend.  I really liked the look of it, and it was really just to use the case to house a newer speaker for playing music through.

But then I wonder whether the innards are worth doing anything with?  Perhaps they can be used to make an old fashioned amp of some kind?

So, the type I bought is a Barker 88. Looks like this one:

Or is it too old?

What's the best way to test it?  Not really keen on just plugging it in (mind you, there's no power cord)

There are some innard pictures on this page here...

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/barker_barker_88.html

If there's anything that could be done, it could be a fun project.  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    A quick google says the '88' stands for 8 valves, 8 watts. The output is stage is 2 x 6v6 so you might be able to hack it into something useful if you had the inclination.

R.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    @robinbowes - plenty of enthusiasm and inclination... but guidance absolutely required...  :D
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    as a teenager I used an old valve radio as a bedroom amp. It had some sort of aux input on the back panel and all I needed to make it work was an adaptor. The sound was clean, perfectly fine at low volume (obviously the speakers were a limitation). 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It's AC power only - hence has a transformer power supply instead of the direct-rectified "AC/DC" type which was once common - so it would be possible to convert it into a guitar amp fairly easily, but it's still quite a lot of work.

Don't just plug it in though, even if you can find a power cable. It needs to be thoroughly checked by someone who knows what they're doing and preferably powered up slowly with test metering in place to spot any problems before the magic smoke comes out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I'm not advising you do this but I used to use a radio amp to overdrive the input to my old Ferrograph tape recorder and get some great sounds. I think that was before the word "overdrive" was ever thought of. Not claiming I pioneered it, but, you know...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

Oooo! That takes me back! Never seen that particular radio but it is much the same as the ones I worked on 50 or more years ago.

As ICBM has said, you MUST get it checked for safety. First thing I would do is "tack in" a mains lead and PAT it. If the transformer is "leaky" to chassis it is really not worth going any further.

But! The radio might just be quite valuable. Contact The Antique Radio Society of Great Britain. You might get enough for a 6V6 amp kit!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2015
    Thanks guys.  :)

@ecc83 - the last one on ebay went for £6.50, so I shan't be retiring on proceeds if I sold it.  ;)  I bought it for the outer shell really...  My initial idea was to get a little amp and site it inside this case for a retro looking amp - especially if the other half could plug her iPhone into it (she's got lots of retro music on there and the thought of it coming out of this cabinet is fun.

@ICBM - I suspect getting it checked out will be more than the thing cost me to start with.  :D
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Give us a shout if you need any parts, I've got some bits for sale. But I'd be happy to post you some bits gratis. To get you started.
    edited May 2015

" suspect getting it checked out will be more than the thing cost me to start with.  :D"

If you are up to wiring in a modern coded mains lead fitted with a 3A fused plug, do that but DON'T plug it in just get it PAT tested . If the transformer is sound you have the basis for a decent amp. Be a shame to junk the chassis and transformers.

Can you post a readable schematic? I am not joining yet ANOTHER site just for one circuit!

Dave.

PM me the site has gone screwy.
    I did PM, @ecc83 - don't know if you got it or not...  :)

I'm going to post some pics in a little while - got the back off it, and although dusty, quite tidy overall.

All the valves are present, and there's a Mullard GZ32 in there... looks like that's an expensive valve!

Pics to follow...

That all looks SO familiar! I was fixing radios just like that for 10 years. Many had a similar mains transformer in them and I cannot recall ever having one fail. OPTraff now and VERY rare again. Their longevity was due in part I suspect because of the extreme toughness of the 6V6? Even when the grid coupling cap shorted and the valve got red got they did not short and eventually a fuse blew or the set was switched off. Usually the valve was none the worse for the experience!

GZ32s were a bit feeble in amps IIRC? The 34 is better and a drop in (heater current is higher but since you would be loosing the RF valves the mains traff won't mind, doubt it would anyway!

Did not get a PM AFAIK?

Dave.

@ecc83 - I'll try sending another PM...  Done.

Whenever I have these hairbrained schemes to mod something, I hit a wall of conscience that won't allow me to butcher a vintage piece of equipment... even if it isn't actually worth anything.

Part of me wants to hear it work as a radio, part of me is intrigued about using it as a basis for an amp, and another part wants to use the case as a carcass to house an MP3/ipod dock (or even just to plug in a 3.5mm audio jack)!

Rox said:
    @ecc83 - I'll try sending another PM...  Done.

Whenever I have these hairbrained schemes to mod something, I hit a wall of conscience that won't allow me to butcher a vintage piece of equipment... even if it isn't actually worth anything.

Part of me wants to hear it work as a radio, part of me is intrigued about using it as a basis for an amp, and another part wants to use the case as a carcass to house an MP3/ipod dock (or even just to plug in a 3.5mm audio jack)!

Does the wavechange switch have a "gram" or "phono" position? If so you CAN have the best of both worlds. If you can get the radio going you can still use the power amp stage as a guitar amp. You will need more gain so you could build an outboard booster or incorporate another valve inside. An MP3 docking station powered from rectified heater AC is also feasible. Just depends on how much work you want to do!

Dave.

@ecc83 - Thanks Dave.

I have no idea, don't even know what I'm looking at, but, here's a technical document from the 40's - I've no idea what it means, but perhaps it will give you an idea of the components...

http://www.doctsf.com//documents/schematheques/radio_anglais/BARKER/88.PDF

Assuming the specs didn't change much between 1945 and the 50's (I think mine is 50's - the speaker is marked 8/49)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Don't be tempted to even hook it up to test it without a very thorough check that it's safe to do so. Aside from the old lamp cord power cable and lack of earth (or fusing), it's quite likely that any rubber wiring insulation has perished, there could be enough dust to cause arcing, and it's probable some of the caps will have failed. At the very least you could damage what's left of the functioning components, even if it doesn't actually catch fire or electrocute you :).

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about completely gutting and rebuilding a radio like that - most 50s plywood case ones aren't worth a lot. If it doesn't have FM it's almost useless as an actual radio these days anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Oh don't fret @ICBM - I have no intention of just plugging it in.  :D

It'd be lovely to get some use out of this radio one way or another.  :)

Yes!! It is a given that you MUST get the chassis checked for safety before you even think of working on it.

IF it is safe you could gut it but retain the power amp stage, stripped back to just valve bases and traffs and either duplicate the circuitry with modern components or build a 6v6 rip off.

I am sure a small FM or DAB radio module could be found? (can't get jack on DAB at chez Dave BTW!)

Dave.