G&L guitar - opinions and where can I try a good selection? - now with NGD content

What's Hot
gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
edited December 2013 in Guitar
Hi guys, I'm looking for your opinions on this brand, in particular the US models. I've just been to a gig (Baroness) where the guitarist played an ASAT with the big MFD pickups and it sounded huge. Also if you know where there's a decent selection that I could try I'd like to know. I recently tried a suhr so (for me) it's got to stack up to that. Cheers in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited October 2013
    Richards guitars
    http://www.rguitars.co.uk/collections/g-l-tribute
    People on here gave him a lot of stick recently for "Spam" Emails. 
    But as a shop, he's great. full set up to your spec on sale, with 6 and 12 month free check ups. 
    you can talk to him on his live help thing at almost any time of day, and he is stupidly friendly. 
    located in Stratford upon Avon I believe, I'd call and tell him you are coming beforehand if you are popping in, He'll make sure that the models you want to try and in stock, and out for you to play. You can take in your amp :) 

He also rejects guitars that have mis-matched grain etc. 
    Here is a G&L he sent back because of the grain: http://www.rguitars.co.uk/blogs/richards-guitars/6940598-an-example-of-a-cosmetic-reject-during-quality-control-g-l-tribute-legacy

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    The very few I've tried were very nice guitars, but the price difference between here and the USA is eye-watering, if you ask me. I'm willing to pay a bit more than the USA to account for VAT and the like, but when something is twice as much...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I've got one they are excellent guitars, better than US Fenders in terms of build quality. 

If you buy a US ASAT buy one secondhand as new ones depreciate quite a bit. 

I'd be prepared to part with mine at the right price. 
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

I've just bought a Tribute ASAT Special ... and I'm so happy I'd buy another ...

@ monquixote  ... maybe even yours  ;) .... though I like wood grain and yours is black

tFB Trader
    close2u said:

I've just bought a Tribute ASAT Special ... and I'm so happy I'd buy another ...

@ monquixote  ... maybe even yours  ;) .... though I like wood grain and yours is black

It's got a chip in it where you can see some wood grain :D

In terms of what they sound like they do sound absolutely massive. It's somewhere between a tele with P90s and a Jazzmaster. The pickups are absolutely crazy hot because of the massive poles and very bright. As a result they are brilliant for getting loads of different tones with the volume and tone knob. 

The bridge is very chunky which I think helps the sustain. 

They are semi customshop which means you get them in almost any configuration, but weirdly they don't usually come with the standard 9.5"radius boards and either 7" or 12" are typical, though the 7" typically have massive frets so they don't feel too retro. 

If you are anywhere near Suffolk you are welcome to have a look at mine. 
    If you buy a US ASAT buy one secondhand as new ones depreciate quite a bit. 
    Yeah that's another way round the very high new prices here.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I love the ASATs. Really nice guitars to play. Someone on the bay was selling three ASAT specials a while back for £250 each. I didn't have the money at the time and missed them. I was most upset.
    tFB Trader
    DeeTee said:
    I love the ASATs. Really nice guitars to play. Someone on the bay was selling three ASAT specials a while back for £250 each. I didn't have the money at the time and missed them. I was most upset.
    I'm assuming they were Tributes?
    They weren't listed as such, but I assumed so. Still a good price for them though.
    tFB Trader
    DeeTee said:
    They weren't listed as such, but I assumed so. Still a good price for them though.
    Yeah that's an excellent price for a Tribute or a barking mad one for a US
    ^ Yeah. I've never tried the tributes but £250 would have been low enough that I'd have thought about it.
    I don't think any of them sold. It was painful to watch.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

Recently having never had a strat I bought a G&L Tribute Legacy and a Fret King Super 60 on the used market, and had them both professionally setup with fret work, intonation and all the rest.

I think they're both great, but both myself and my tech agreed that the Fret King just has more tone coming through.  He thinks it is to do with the weight of the bridge - but it surprised me I must say.  The G&L does still have a really nice woody twang, and IMO has a ever so slightly nicer neck, and also is looks a bit nicer to me.  The Fret King is a bit lighter, and sits really nicely against your body.  I suppose if someone said that they were looking at getting a G&L Tribute, I'd have to say they should also check out a Fret King too.

Having said that, I also have a US ASAT, and the same tech reckons it is in a different league to either of those two guitars I mentioned.  Certainly it is built like a rock, and also has a lovely thick tone.  Its a proper guitar.

I think most people would prefer to have a Fender, but I have to say I really like the G&L's.

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    cheers guys, I get the point about pricing and if I like them when I try one out I'll definitely consider the second hand market. I've got a fender strat its not quite a "proper" one though - Bill Corgan sig, hard tail with dimarzio rails that I like the feel of but there was something about that fat tele almost p90 sound from the G&L that really appealed to me. 
    @monquixote you mention the 7" radius doesnt feel too vintage, thats good because I've not been able to get on with them with skinny frets (Choking out when bending strings), I tend to prefer the 10-12" range radius on my other guitars
    tFB Trader
    What I always say is that I have a G&L which is 7" with massive frets and a Gretsch with a 12" radius and skinny frets and it's the Gretsch that feels retro. 
    DeeTee said:
    I don't think any of them sold. It was painful to watch.
    :))
    wordy said:

Recently having never had a strat I bought a G&L Tribute Legacy and a Fret King Super 60 on the used market, and had them both professionally setup with fret work, intonation and all the rest.

I think they're both great, but both myself and my tech agreed that the Fret King just has more tone coming through.  He thinks it is to do with the weight of the bridge - but it surprised me I must say.  The G&L does still have a really nice woody twang, and IMO has a ever so slightly nicer neck, and also is looks a bit nicer to me.  The Fret King is a bit lighter, and sits really nicely against your body.  I suppose if someone said that they were looking at getting a G&L Tribute, I'd have to say they should also check out a Fret King too.

Yeah I have a couple of Blue Label Fretkings (the p90 strat one and the tele/strat hybrid) and they're nice guitars. I imagine, as you said, a USA G&L would be in another league, though.
    there is a USA G&L S500 in the classifieds - just out of my price range - it looks good ... may be some number of pages down
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    close2u said:
    there is a USA G&L S500 in the classifieds - just out of my price range - it looks good ... may be some number of pages down
    Mines currently not for sale - but may be becoming available again in a few weeks with a slightly more tempting price depending how other things turn out.
    :)
    tFB Trader
    There are Fret Kings and there are Fret Kings. 

The Black, Blue and Green label are all quite different in build and price.
    horse said:
    close2u said:
    Mines currently not for sale - but may be becoming available again in a few weeks with a slightly more tempting price depending how other things turn out.
    :)

Yes - it was yours I had in mind ... :)