Nuts and radiuses and nut suppliers

What's Hot
redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
edited May 2015 in Making & Modding
I'm gonna get me some nut files and start learning how to cut nuts. While the files aren't cheap, over time I'll probably save as much on the cost of getting them made. A couple of quick questions though: 

1. Radiusing the bottom. How does one do this? I think I read somewhere about a technique involving sanding with some sandpaper on the fretboard, so the sanding surface will have the correct radius. However that would mean sanding between a couple of frets - which would surely take forever. Is that the only way? 

2. Suppliers. Who's good for nut blanks in the UK? I may order some from Stewmac if I get their files (undecided yet) but I am counting on ballsing up quite a bit, so may need a supplier closer to home! In particular do any UK suppliers do pre-radiused blanks? Cheers all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    AllParts supply pre-radiused nut blanks to suit Fender guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any work on making a new nut takes a certain amount of time, it's not a job that can be rushed if done properly, good luck and have fun :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Remember to cut the string slots at an angle that follows the string break angle over the nut.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Or a sharper angle.