Band name help...

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
Now I know I'm asking for trouble here (in a comic sense), but I'd like your suggestions.

We've started a wedding / function band, the drummer had the idea of naming the band with the singer at the forefront, given that is probably the most important part of the band from a clients perspective.

He came up with "Sarah and the Soundwaves" - I like the concept, but the Soundwaves bit not so much.

I can only seem to think of daft names, so any suggestions welcomed! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    I don't see the importance of naming the band after the singer? That would be the first thing I would change, tbh

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I don't see the importance of naming the band after the singer? That would be the first thing I would change, tbh

Is that why your band isn't called "Rock'n'RollDave and the Davettes"?

Kind of agree though.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    If you're a wedding band you need something about strictly only playing 80's Joel.

It can be anything, I don't like bands named after the lead singer.

Just come up with something safe and exciting like urm seatbelt skydivers ahaha I dunno. Cloverband bah. No wonder I wasn't allowed to name my band.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    And Sarah leaves but you carry on? I guess it gives a story - ' we are Sarah and the Sasquatches but none of us are called Sarah or are Sasquatches.'

So, err, Sarah and the Sasquatches. 

Function Junction

The Allstar Players

Dr Teeth 

The iFunction

The Allstar Party Band

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I would say don't hang too much importance on the band name tbh, I've spent ages in the past with other band members trying to come up with names but its really not that important. Just pick something you all agree on, nobody's gonna book you because you have an awesome name :) Good luck
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Sarah and the Sonic Death Monkey? ;-) (High Fidelity reference)

I'd say that if you're a function band then you need a name which is fairly short and catchy, otherwise you'll have people saying "I heard this great band play at my friend's wedding they were called Susie and the... no Sasha and the... or was it something about a dead monkey etc etc". And they wouldn't have luck trying to find your band by googling if they only remember part of a long name.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    For various reasons which I won't go into here (none of which are dodgy, just a bit odd) my band has been out over the last few years under a variety of names. SEVEN, in fact...and those are just the ones I can remember..

Point being, aside from really bad names (e.g. sexually explicit or scatological) it really doesn't matter that much. All I would say is try and get one this is punchy and catchy, which "someone and the somethings " very rarely is..For a start you have to remember the name.."Was it Sally and the...or was it Suzi and the...or was it Sara...Ah shoot, I forget..."

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited May 2015
    ftumch said:
    I would say don't hang too much importance on the band name tbh, I've spent ages in the past with other band members trying to come up with names but its really not that important. Just pick something you all agree on, nobody's gonna book you because you have an awesome name :) Good luck
    I totally agree with this. I mean, 'beetles' with an 'a'? How naff is that? And yet, they were quite good. And became quite famous. And the name seems quite acceptable.

My own take is that band names should be a single word - the only exception being that two words are ok so long as one of the words is 'the'.
    ;)

Oh, and make sure the name is pronouncable and legible. I once went to a small local rock/metal gig in the 80s. We'd seen posters for the gig around town and one of the bands had a short 4-letter name in a totally indecipherable hand-written gothic script (very 'metal'). My mates and I had a discussion over what their name could be and eventually decided it might be 'Cnok'. When we got to the gig we found out that they were actually called 'Taor'.
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ftumch said:
    I totally agree with this. I mean, 'beetles' with an 'a'? How naff is that? And yet, they were quite good. And became quite famous. And the name seems quite acceptable.

Might be something to do with them being a 'beat' band originally .... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Fretwired said:
    ftumch said:

Might be something to do with them being a 'beat' band originally .... ;-)
    Still naff.
    ;)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    'Till Death Do You Rock !
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Band of Gold.  I actually used to own this URL at one time, but I bet it's gone to some other wedding supplier by now.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    The Allstar Unionists
    Eyes Sis
    The Green Peas
    Gus Tarpo and the Stasis

Are all names I would not recommend having unless you really know your crowd

How about:

The Civil Ceremonies
    Up the Function (if you do any Squeeze covers maybe)
    The Sarah Desserts
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

Just named our newly formed girl fronted cover band as "Cover Girl" 

I quite like it :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    Awaiting the spin off solo project Centrefold ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I don't suppose one of you is called Lee?

"Sara, Lee and the Gateau's"   would be nice if you bring cakes as well as tunes ;-)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Awaiting the spin off solo project Centrefold ;)
    lol yeah I look forward to that as well :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk