Ampeg svt-2 pro

What's Hot
MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
Hey all 

After a nightmare with a Heritage svt-cl I am looking around at options and came across a Svt-2 pro on gumtree for £1100.

What do you guys think of this amp?  Price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    In the end, I went a 2001 USA Ampeg SVT-CL head.

Should have it by Wednesday.  Can't wait.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Was just going to pop in to say that I work with an Ampeg artist who has had no end of reliability issues with his SVT2 Pro heads.  He's had replacements sent from Ampeg that have failed or been DOA.  On a recent tour I ended up lending him my Genz Benz Shuttle and he's since used it for a few festivals and loved it.  He was going to jump to using Genz Benz gear but with Fender killing the brand off he's picked up an Aguilar TH500 instead and loves it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24200
    The Hartke Kilo is effectively a 'tribute' to the SVT

Ampeg artists have been moving over to Hartke by the dozen over the last few years. Many seem to be citing reliability as a big issue.

Yeah I am hoping that the head that I have just received is still from a Golden Age of Ampeg.

It's a 2001 so a St. Louis Musical Company model.   With new tubes.

Can't wait to plug it in tonight.  Fingers crossed it will all work!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    One of the main issues with the SVT-II is inadequate rack mounting.

The amp is very heavy, but I still see it mounted simply using the 4 bolts at the front without any support of the chassis.

The weight of the amp deforms the chassis casing problems, for example the controls are mounted to the front panel, but the PCB is mounted to the chasis, so I often see broken solder joints along the controls. 

If you take care of the mounting, them the SVTII is no more or less reliable in my view than any other of the modern SVTs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Just working on one this morning.

The weight is not a joke, it's one of the few amps (chassis only) which is hazardous to lift on your own.

This one is in a tightly-fitting rack sleeve so it's not under too much stress, but I agree about the inadequate support if it's in a larger case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

jpfamps said:

The amp is very heavy, but I still see it mounted simply using the 4 bolts at the front without any support of the chassis.

The weight of the amp deforms the chassis casing problems, for example the controls are mounted to the front panel, but the PCB is mounted to the chasis, so I often see broken solder joints along the controls. 

If you take care of the mounting, them the SVTII is no more or less reliable in my view than any other of the modern SVTs.

Hey Frank!  I didn't know you looked at these boards!  Good to see you bud.  Federico
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Mosfed said:
    jpfamps said:

Hey Frank!  I didn't know you looked at these boards!  Good to see you bud.  Federico
    It is indeed I.

I used to post on the now defunct Music Radar forum, from which this forum arose.

Took me a few weeks to find it though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom