The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    85 all out!

Watch the highlights on youtube, the Aussies seem unable to bat if the ball deviates even slightly off the pitch.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    scrumhalf said:
    85 all out!

Watch the highlights on youtube, the Aussies seem unable to bat if the ball deviates even slightly off the pitch.
    Only problem with those highlights is having to listen to Mark Nicholas.

Nice to see the Aussies get rolled though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    85 all out!

Maybe, but for 85 all out I could probably stand Ricky Gervaise doing the commentary.
    Australia losing in less than 7 sessions of play :D
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    scrumhalf said:
    crunchman said:
    scrumhalf said:
    85 all out!

Maybe, but for 85 all out I could probably stand Ricky Gervaise doing the commentary.

He still makes cricket sound like an episode of Survivor.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Survivor schmurvivor.

"Australia have lost by an innings and 80 runs" sounds good when said by pretty much anyone.
    Courtesy of Dale Steyn:

Beaten with the bat.
    Beaten with the ball.
    Beaten in the field.
    Mentally stronger.

Here's a idea, let's blame it on a lollipop :-)

There's a TMS podcast of an interview Aggers did with Jim Maxwell. Good to hear that he's on the mend.
  • Gassage said:
    Courtesy of Dale Steyn:

Beaten with the bat.
    Beaten with the ball.
    Beaten in the field.
    Mentally stronger.

Can't wait to see those words repeated back to him when the Saffers next choke in a semi-final. 

Is there a case for England sticking with Ali at 5 and a 6 bowler line up at home?  The fast bowlers seem to that bit more menacing when they aren't worn out.  Anderson has been clocked at 89mph this morning, and Broad at 88mph when I've been watching.
    Absolutely delighted for Matt Renshaw making debut for Australia.

played against Matt at Arundel Castle where he helped himself to 120 against a very good attack including Richard Stemp and some minor county seamers when he was on the MCC GRoundstaff as a Young Pro.

fantastic player, bats long, old school approach. He'll be an excellent foil for Warner's fireworks.

@pj310 was an MCC Young Pro at the same time Renners was and is a good friend of Matt I believe.

• pj310pj310 Frets: 41
    Gassage said:

played against Matt at Arundel Castle where he helped himself to 120 against a very good attack including Richard Stemp and some minor county seamers when he was on the MCC GRoundstaff as a Young Pro.

fantastic player, bats long, old school approach. He'll be an excellent foil for Warner's fireworks.

@pj310 was an MCC Young Pro at the same time Renners was and is a good friend of Matt I believe.

He's a talented cricketer that's for sure! Really hope he does well. We roomed together the last away game of that season, he must have picked up a thing or two haha!
  • crunchman said:
    Is there a case for England sticking with Ali at 5 and a 6 bowler line up at home?  The fast bowlers seem to that bit more menacing when they aren't worn out.  Anderson has been clocked at 89mph this morning, and Broad at 88mph when I've been watching.
    Sometimes you have to stick to your strengths. Rather than having the three spinner attack, have an extra seamer instead. Zafar Ansari wasn't fully fit for the last Test and thus far hasn't done anything exceptional in his short career whilst Rashid actually bowled well. Drop Ansari, bring back Woakes if he is fit, have Moeen and Ali as the two main spinners. 

And never ever pick Gareth Batty for anything ever again involving England. 

• Gassage said:

It's an interesting approach by Australia to jettison so many on the batting front yet go back to someone in Bird who looked really pedestrian playing for Notts this year. 

The fun part of Oz-SA is going to be watching Shamsi bowl. 

edited November 2016
    Forgot to mention- @pj310 got a little 4 fer in that game too I seem to recall. Palash?

Modest flower I am, I also recall some old fucker called Gassage bunting a former England seamer (Mark Alleyne) for 20 off 5 balls, all through extra cover in that game, which resulted in "You can't bowl there mate." from me.

• pj310pj310 Frets: 41
    @Gassage you just remember me with rose tinted spectacles matey! Haha. Gotta back the last part of that statement however, definitely got a hold of Coach Alleyne that over! Watched it all from mid on
    You got poles the follwoing year then? Can't recall!

• Buttler in for Duckett. Moeen up to 4, Bairstow at 5, Stokes at 6, Buttler at 7. Moeen once again the man to change around. 

Broad and Ansari are out. Confirmed that Woakes will come in for Broad. Mohali is cracked already. If this goes beyond four days, I will be surprised. Gareth Batty, your time may not be up... 

Buttler in for Duckett. Moeen up to 4, Bairstow at 5, Stokes at 6, Buttler at 7. Moeen once again the man to change around. 

Broad and Ansari are out. Confirmed that Woakes will come in for Broad. Mohali is cracked already. If this goes beyond four days, I will be surprised. Gareth Batty, your time may not be up... 
    It's a bit much to expect Bairstow to bat 5 and keep wicket.  They should have had Foster on the tour.  If you look back up the thread, I'm sure I've said that ad nauseam.
    Or they could have had a keeper/batsman with recent experience of playing in India - Sam Billings.