Boss SD-2

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

A quick review of the Boss SD-2 (C/O Drew_FX)

I got home this evening (after a bit of a shit day - see elsewhere) and was greeted with a Boss SD-2.

I've only had a quick play, but I'm impressed.

So far I've only put everything to half-way, into a clean amp.

I like the crunch-lead mode, which gives a nice, not-quite AC/DC type gain (again I'm sure I'll find one before long), and changing to lead gives an almost early-Metallica type sound.

Using the crunch side, and rolling the volume back a touch cleans things up fairly nicely, although still a bit of drive.

This pedal could, effectively, be a crunch/lead amp back-up safely.

The only thing is in the crunch/lead mode you can't turn it off for a completely clean amp, not a great issue for me, but someone who wanted clean/light drive/heavy drive sound in one song could be a little stumped. I've tried this with High-output and medium-output 'buckers, not yet Single coils.

Further investigations over the next few days. And a drive pedal shoot out....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I always liked these. You can get clean/crunch/lead operation with an external footswitch in the Remote jack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I havn't got an external footswitch connected, but shall certainly consider using one for even more versamatility.

I shall have a proper play, probably tomorrow as I got the day off, and probably do a proper pedal shoot out.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I only ever used it for the crunch mode, and I always had it set low. This was back when I was using the Fryette Sig X and I was trying to control the ice-picky nature of the clean channel on that amp. I was effectively using the SD-2 as a saturation circuit to smooth out the transients from my guitar before they hit the amp. Worked quite well, but wasn't necessary when I went from the Sig X to the Orange Rockerverb, and nor was it necessary when I got my JVM, so it just sat around on my shelf!

Glad you're digging it Mike!
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    I had one for a while - underrated pedal, especially as a back up