Can you please help me draw some comparisons between these guitars I have been offered for trade ...

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited October 2013 in Guitar

I've got a guitar advertised for sale / trade.  I have several trade offers and each has merit and is tempting.
Offer 1 :  A USA Highway 1 Strat plus cash
Offer 2 :  A Korean Lite Ash Stratocaster plus more cash
Offer 3 :  A Korean Lite Ash Telecaster plus same cash as Offer 2

This is what they tell me about their guitars.

Highway 1 Strat (I have seen a few pics).  Thin nitro finish rubbed back with some t-cut to take the layer of matt laquer off, now it looks just like the original shiney variety. There is a small indentation on the front top edge and a very small mark on the front.  This deal involves mutual P&P due to distances.

Korean Ash Strat (I haven't seen any pics yet).  Made in 2007. Seymour Duncan pups, swamp ash body birds eye v neck, 2 point trem, I excellent condition. Minor fret wear, fairly light in weight. bought 7 years ago for £499. Comes with padded gig bag.  We live close enough to meet up but the man hasn't got the cash together just yet.

Korean Ash Tele (I have seen pics).  Iin excellent condition with no dings or scratches to body, neck, headstock. There are the absolute microscopic scratches you would see in lacquer but not what I call damage scratches. One mark on the scratch plate from removing a sticker with something slightly abrasive. The chrome areas have very small little spots of corrosion. Hard case included - has vinyl rips but is 13 years old. Neck and headstock have a lovely pippy look and the fretboard has pearloid inlays.  This deal would involve mutual P&P or a meet up involving a round trip of approx 180 miles.

Many thanks

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    This is not necessarily helpful, but I would always pick a tele over a strat. And my snobbery would make me choose a MIA over a MIK.
    To muddle things further a guitar that is close by is always tempting.

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

Thanks jaygtr ... so, you would choose Offer 3, er no ...... Offer 1, er no ...... Offer 2

;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013
    Err I think I would pick no3 1st, then number 1. ;)
    It's not an easy decision, if they were all lined up in front of me it would be easy to choose I suspect, but they are not. The first thing to decide is to you want a strat or tele , because at least that narrows it down a bit :-?

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Are the Korean ones the 'Lite Ash' series?

• Those lite ashes go for about £250. Nice guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891

I have a Korean Lite Ash strat. It is made as well as my USA standard strat, they go for about £400 used I think

Quite a pronounced V neck. You will soon know whether you like this or not

Better pickups than normal fender stuff, birds eye maple fingerboard + headstock veneer

Given the price of the Highway 1 new, I very much doubt that it comes near the quality of the Lite Ash, which was after all made to have "Fender" written on the front of the headstock. Most people will be confused, because they never heard of a Korean premium Fender guitar before

strat vs tele with hard case + postage? I'd say strat, but I love strats. Easier to bail out on a short journey if the guitar has issues too

edited October 2013

Yes - both are lite ash with seymour duncans etc. Stock so far as I have been told.

How do the pups compare between MIK lite ash (seymour duncan) and Highway 1?

Neither are 'standard' tele/strat pups are they?

Re Tele vs Strat

I've had a couple of MIA strats before and couldn't get on with them ... went back to humbuckers. I'm now looking to play in a band with much more clean tone (soul, r&b, motown, funk etc) so a Strat / Tele type appeals. I haven't ever lived with a Tele.  I've just got a Tribute ASAT Special and suddenly clean, single-coil tone is pleasing me.  So, I would happily trade for another G&L but haven't been offered one.

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited October 2013
    ToneControl;63151" said:
    I have a Korean Lite Ash strat. It is made as well as my USA standard strat, they go for about £400 used I thinkQuite a pronounced V neck. You will soon know whether you like this or notBetter pickups than normal fender stuff, birds eye maple fingerboard + headstock veneer
    Agree with all this except the price.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-lite-ash-stratocaster/2389

Make sure you keep that in mind!

I think, on balance, I'd go for the USA one. I am a believer in thin finishes (converted by my wudtone jazzmaster) and the newer ones have a steel bridge rather than zinc. Definitely find out the year of production!

Here is a review that might make you choose the Lite Ash though - http://m.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-highway-one-stratocasterthe

The bridge was off centre! That's bloody awful. The ones I've seen have been fine though.

Edit: just reread distance info. Try the closest one to you!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I'd go and see the Korean Strat in person, then decide if you want to wait for him to come up with the cash. If you let him try the Les Paul and he likes it, and then take it away again, he may suddenly find he has the money ;).

I wouldn't spend money on P&P to try guitars you aren't sure you want, even if it means getting some extra cash towards your guitar - that will make it less of a good deal for you if you don't like what you get.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    edited October 2013
    Difficult to say without some pix, but I'd probably go for the highway of those three.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891

the fact that GAK chucked the last few Lite Ash ones out cheap doesn't fully determine it's resale value. For the quality they were cheap for £500 new, same as the Fender squire 51s that went for $99 and are now worth double

As I say, I own one, it's better than MIM, definitely Jap/USA quality level. Given that the USA made standards list at £1100 and only match this quality, I don't expect the Highway 1s, selling at £700 to be the same , I haven't tried one though

Mine came with an EMG set , so I can't tell you about the original pickups

Teles are too uncomfy for me, I need a "rib" contour unless I lose some weight. Strats are more flexible, you can evaluate this at your local shop though

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    What's your guitar you're trading? Seems to be a crucial bit of info, apologies if it's in the thread somewhere and I missed it.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/

I have it in classifieds ... Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute Goldtop

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/3801/ft-or-sale-gibson-les-paul-studio-60s-tribute-goldtop

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    edited October 2013
    close2u said:

I have it in classifieds ... Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute Goldtop

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/3801/ft-or-sale-gibson-les-paul-studio-60s-tribute-goldtop

Ah right, didn't realise we were supposed to look there and work out what you were trading!   :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ToneControl;63410" said:
    the fact that GAK chucked the last few Lite Ash ones out cheap doesn't fully determine it's resale value. For the quality they were cheap for £500 new, same as the Fender squire 51s that went for $99 and are now worth doubleAs I say, I own one, it's better than MIM, definitely Jap/USA quality level. Given that the USA made standards list at £1100 and only match this quality, I don't expect the Highway 1s, selling at £700 to be the same , I haven't tried one thoughMine came with an EMG set , so I can't tell you about the original pickupsTeles are too uncomfy for me, I need a "rib" contour unless I lose some weight. Strats are more flexible, you can evaluate this at your local shop though 
    The only Korean one I've tried was a tele with a pair of Duncan pickups (jb and jazz) and a carved heel.

You are right - it is a Mexico beater (though one mex strat I've played was possibly the finest strat I've ever played). They're made in the same factory as the Ltd deluxe range, which also features the carved neck heel (I own one, she's a beaut!). Sadly, these have no effect on value, as people will always associate Korean with budget...

The Lite Ash ones do look amazing, frankly. But if he's thinking of that one, he might well be able to trade it direct to gak for a new one. Probably not quite, but it's a worthwhile consideration.

Ah right, didn't realise we were supposed to look there and work out what you were trading!   :)
    Of course - I want your expertise and to make your work for it  :)
    he might well be able to trade it direct to gak for a new one. Probably not quite, but it's a worthwhile consideration.
    Raises an interesting point ... I haven't even thought about ... does anyone have any idea what sort of deal I might be offered from a retail outlet for part-ex?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304

close2u said:
    Raises an interesting point ... I haven't even thought about ... does anyone have any idea what sort of deal I might be offered from a retail outlet for part-ex?
    Probably about half its second hand retail value, up to two thirds if you're trading something expensive against something even more expensive with a fairly large cash adjustment and the shop is feeling generous.

There really isn't much in it for the shop otherwise once you deduct all the costs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

A new offer has come in to the mix ...

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat ... I haven't been given an indication of the cash difference yet ... local enough to meet up in person