zz top bargain

What's Hot
JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
5 album box set for a tenner on amazon includes Tres Hombre (which i havent got and was recommended on here and Eliminator (gimme all your loving, legs, sharp dressed man.) Bargain.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013

Link?

IIRC post Eliminator they remasterd some of the earlier albums with those now dated drum sounds. Don't suspose you know if it's those versions?...anyway I'll have a look

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited October 2013
    Found it. Without double checking those aren't the first 5 albums so it is a slightly random collection and a glance at the reviews suggests it is the horrible remix versions.

The Complete Studio albums boxset has the proper mixes restored, apparently, and whilst it is £28 that's only £2.80 per album.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    if Eliminator is the most recent one in the set,  worth having.  If not,  then its not.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    ive ordered it so the proof will be in the puddings hands about sat morn. 

I'm not sure Eliminator has stood the test of time. The songs off that and that period get regularly played on the radio and I can't get very excited; maybe just over familiarity ( my girlfriend at the time had a ZZ Top themed 21st birthday party). On the other hand I think every album since has basically been a couple of good songs and then filler. So it is worth investigating the earlier stuff, some of which is surprisingly off the wall. 
    Having read a review.
    Tres Hombre
    Fandango
    Deguello
    Eliminator all original.
    (Rio Grand mud has been 80d with reverb)
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Damn you. Off I go to iTunes to get 'Recycler'

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059

"ZZ Tops First Album" has some of the finest LP tone ever committed to tape imo.  

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Complete Studio albums boxset has the proper mixes restored, apparently, and whilst it is £28 that's only £2.80 per album.   
    Hmmm, that might just be added to my christmas list. I've only got a Best of Compilation and the early stuff on that is excellent.
    while ive got my purse out! Ive just bought the Essential blues box set !!  a FLIM! thats a fiver! depending on where your from. could be a tea and a scone!
    Received the Cds Yesterday ZZ top as well as Privateering Mark Knopfler
    and Essential blues CD. Well pleased with them all.
    Next will be The 10.OOO Maniacs box set 5 albums for a tenner.In my tribe is worth that alone imo

• Leaving aside Recycler and Afterburner, they've done some good albums since their heyday, IMO.

Mescalero is a favourite, but there is a good smattering of decent tracks on most of the others too.

but there is a good smattering of decent tracks on most of the others too.
    ...but I think that is the problem with them. They all have some good tracks but also a lot of tracks that sound quite a lot like the good tracks. They got into this pattern of making themed albums where a single sound runs throughout. Not that other people don't do this but their earlier albums tended to be a bit more varied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LukeageLukeage Frets: 35
    I think of the more recent ZZ releases... Mescalero, Rhythmeen and La Futura are all great. Never got into XXX. I think aside from XXX I would say I like all of ZZ's back catalog. If Classic Rock did one of their buyers guides on ZZ Top and I wrote it, XXX would be my 'Avoid' album.