Would you be put off a band if you had to provide a video or audio demo?

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
Just starting a new band project, got a great drummer and a fantastic singer, we are only practicing once a month, so the practice time is fairly precious. 

We are looking for a second vocalist who can also play guitar or keys. We've had some interest from and advert I posted, but it quickly fizzled out when I asked if they could send a clip over of the singing. 

Is that an unreasonable request? Wouldn't phase me personally, the hope is it would cut down on the whole awkward audition process. Not after a fresh clip or anything. 

What say you guys?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2015
    I think it's a perfectly reasonable request. In the past I could understand people saying that they didn't have or could record anything but now virtually everyone has the facility to record something, even just on your phone. I would make it clear that you aren't judging the quality of the recording itself and beyond that I think it's a perfectly legitimate request. 

If we get someone in for a project (baring in mind my wife has a habit of meeting random people who say they are singers or songwriters etc and wanting to help them out) I always ask for a rough recording upfront as I ultimately consider it probably politer than me making a piss poor attempt to look enthused two hours into a doomed recording session.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    It depends if you want someone with experience or you're willing to go through the pain of auditions...    

I'd expect someone with any experience of gigging to either have some clips they've done in the past.    When I've looked for singers in the past, if I don't already know of them then it's been one of the first things I ask for.     If they can't provide something for you to hear then they need something that makes you want to try them.

(probably obvious but don't rely on a a great clip to mean they sound good onstage or even in rehearsals ;-) )
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1260

Was asked for some recorded stuff before an audition some 20 years ago.......would have thought that a fairly regular request these days.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I find it worrying when musicians have nothing they can show me of their playing.
    Especially these days, it takes 5 mins to throw together a solo camera phone demo.

There are only a couple of reasons for it and none of them inspire confidence.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    If they cant be arsed to record a clip then I doubt they will be arsed to learn the material personally.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It 'sounds' reasonable, but clearly people don't like it.

Labour found the same reaction when they voted Ed for leader
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    If they're too nervous to send something then they're the wrong person.

If they don't have anything and can't be bothered to record something on a smartphone then they're the wrong person.

If they don't have a smartphone/laptop/tablet with which to record then tbh they're probably the wrong person as learning anything new will be a pain.

Whenever I've talked to any band about playing I always lead with a clip or video or whatever, purely to show I'm proactive and not shit!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    At the level I am at, and the type of player I am, yes it would put me off.

I'm a very 'stream of consciousness' guitar (and even bass) player, and I rely on the live feel with other musicians - without that it's very difficult to play something that shows accurately what I do… I don't get that in a self-recorded demo, even with a backing track. If that's not the kind of player you want, I'm not the right one for your band anyway.

Different if you're at a more professional level or you play more structured music.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1260
    Actually I guess the point would be that some video/audio of you playing with real musicians in a real situation might be a lot more useful in getting the gig than just a recording of widdling over a backing track. I suspect most bands would rather have someone who knows how to play and interact with other musicians than someone skilled in the art of self gratification :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26465
    I think it's very useful for getting a feel for somebody's competence and confidence levels. Perfectly reasonable request IMO.

ICBM said:
    At the level I am at, and the type of player I am, yes it would put me off.

I'm a very 'stream of consciousness' guitar (and even bass) player, and I rely on the live feel with other musicians - without that it's very difficult to play something that shows accurately what I do… I don't get that in a self-recorded demo, even with a backing track. If that's not the kind of player you want, I'm not the right one for your band anyway.

Different if you're at a more professional level or you play more structured music.
    In that context, there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't stick a mic in the corner and grab a few of your mates for an impromptu band session.
    <space for hire>
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Cheers all.

It's for a covers function band, wouldn't be after anything specifically, just a clip of them singing, previous band video would be perfect. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    In my mind if someone purports to be a semi professional musician in the year of our lord 2015 and they've never recorded themselves playing they're not worth your time.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I've never recorded 'myself' for anything other than a reminder the next day of summat I've thought up when pissed and strumming.

Wouldn't bother me a jot though, I have to say.

I'd rather turn up with minimal kit, give it some, and see if I 'got on' with the other folk really. If people don't get on there's little point to it. Band dynamics and that.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2217
    edited May 2015
    I personally dont bother auditioning for bands that ask for evidence, I dont expect any and as previously stated one is not playing with the other musicians. Operating an instrument is such a small part of being in a band I want the whole package. 

I can understand why a band would do this if they have a lot of people applying, they have a good reputation in the area etc. 

Also the last two drummers I played with were not great technically but they had a good feel, dialogue and were nice blokes. Watching a video often doesnt show if the person is a knobhead. 

PS my current band consists of 4 guitarists who double and all a good friends. 

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I've been asked to provide a vid of me playing for a band I have applied to. I'm also in the middle of my A levels and I have things going on around me right now. I simply can't find the time to record, but I play fine live. I'd rather have an audtion. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited May 2015
    ICBM said:
    In that context, there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't stick a mic in the corner and grab a few of your mates for an impromptu band session.
    Not really, because…

jd0272 said:
    I'd rather turn up with minimal kit, give it some, and see if I 'got on' with the other folk really. If people don't get on there's little point to it. Band dynamics and that.
    That's a better way of saying what I meant :). It's the interaction with the *other musicians* that's important. Whether or not I can interact with a different group of other musicians is slightly beside the point.

I know, I'm very old school on this. I just see little point in recording myself playing when it's what happens when I get in a room with the intended band that matters far more, and the assumption that doing so would be part of the audition process is likely to mean that the band and I have totally different goals and approaches, and hence would put me off.

In exactly the same way as a band sending me a tape of themselves and asking if I can play the parts exactly the same as the former member who I would be replacing. The answer would be no, that's not what I do. If that makes me unsuitable for the band then we've just avoided wasting each others' time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I think that if I had sent recordings of myself to my current band they would have concluded that I can play. But that wouldn't have told them whether I could play with them. So when I explained on the phone to Mr Bandleader what my experience & expertise was, he invited me over to play with the band, and when that happened and we got on OK, they invited me to join. I think being invited to join a band depends on whether you can play with them, and do they like you. No recording or demo can decide that, but it may filter out chancers who can't really play ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I get the point people are making about a 'fit', but I can still see why people would want to see/hear a little bit of someone first before sorting an audition, just to check you're not shit/totally different to what they want and waste everyone's time at an audition.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    I don't think it's at all unreasonable, particularly when you're looking for a singer where it's less about 'feel' or fitting in the groove with other musicians. Checking beforehand that they can sing in tune and with a tone that will fit the band is more like checking that a guitarist has a tuner and isn't going to turn up to a guitar audition with a mandolin.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Could always put in an ad, 'If yer shit, don't bother yer arse'.

It wouldn't work of course.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."