Netflix/Lovefilm - opinions?

What's Hot
I'm looking at going for one or both of these, for films and tv shows (not sure which ones, because I don't really know what I've missed), especially the stuff that gets shown on Sky/Virgin, as I have neither.  Does anyone have any experience/advice?  Is one better than the other or are they much the same, or is it worth having both?

Thanks.
You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11872

Netflix has the edge, there are many comparisons https://www.google.co.uk/#psj=1&q=netflix+vs+lovefilm+uk

I wouldn't get both

They do free trials anyway

Check the gadget you use is compatible

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17554
    tFB Trader
    I've had both. 

Netflix is probably better, but I have Lovefilm because I got it on a good deal with Amazon Prime 

Lovefilm doesn't work on Android because Amazon have a competing product. 
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 103
    Another vote for Netflix. I'm currently on the free trial but will be continuing with it. I initially signed up for LoveFilm but cancelled the free trial after a couple of days. No Breaking Bad on LoveFilm! 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Netflix.

Amazon picture quality is pathetic. And Netflix has Breaking Bad.
  • Netflix all day long, Lovefilm menu system blows
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Netflix here too - primarily on the Xbox 360 for living room use, also gets used on the laptops for when the kids want to watch something in their rooms and occasionally on my phone to get kids stuff on for the toddler if he's overly bored when we're out and about. Worth it for instant access to Thomas The Tank Engine!

Rumour mill says Virgin Media TiVo boxes will get a Netflix app in the near future too, so worth considering that if you're a Virgin telly customer already.

I've changed the network addresses on the Xbox to spoof my way into the US version of Netflix too, there's even more stuff on there. They seem to have closed the loophole I was using this week so need to find another way in - although there's paid-for options that are more reliable you can usually find a free way if you're happy to do some internet digging.

So yeah, we're happy with it. It gets more than enough use across the family to justify the spend and recent additions like individual user profiles within one account (for recommendations, favourites, recently watched etc) are just making it better. Love that I can open it with my son's profile and it instantly lines up the shows he loves, then flip to my own and get all the stuff the better half wants!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24169
    I'm on the netflix free trial and I'm going to keep it.

I've been surprised by the picture quality as out in the sticks my web speed is pretty crap, but it seems better than some SD sky broadcasts!

So I'm working through Breaking Bad, and watched the 1st half of season 1 of Dexter as I discovered it halfway through.

It's also excellent when I tether my phone to my ipad - so when I take the kids to swimming lessons I can sit in the cafe and watch some telly.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Netflix.

Amazon sucks.
  • Thanks for the feedback/Google stuff, everyone - Netflix looks like a clear winner - will give their free trial a go.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Having tried both, Netflix, definitely.

Plus, if you want to shell out a little extra, it's dead easy to register with Unblock-Us (or something similar), which then lets you switch your Netflix region to USA/Canada/Wherever.  Works very well for me.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My V key is broken
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24169
    holnrew said:
    Is that good then?

I am naturally suspicious of free things!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472

holnrew said:
    Is that good then?

As Am I. I've been using erm...another one that I can't remember the name of, which is a plug in for Firefox, which works sometimes and not others! But always on the look out for others to use!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5442
    I used Lovefilm (DVD rental) for years and soon ran out of decent titles to pick.

Moved over to Netflix via XBox Live and cancelled Lovefilm soon after.
    Not the greatest choice of films but plenty of box sets to gorge on! I have codes to let me access the US Netflix which has better films and a few more boxsets not on the UK version such as Walking Dead.

Netflix, without a doubt. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    holnrew said:
    Is that good then?

I haven't been able to use it recently due to not having Netflix. I think there are issues on the PS3, but it's the same with other DNS dodging. There's a solution to block certain IP addresses on your router, but I couldn't access the options on my EE branded one.

There's another one that I used for it says you need to pay for it, but it still worked on PS3 because of not being able to check.
    My V key is broken
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    I used to pay for lovefilm and have had both on free trial in recent times. For me the lack of recent films makes them pointless. I have had cable tv for years so there is also very little tv wise on there ( and Breaking Bad comes on FX eventually) worth looking at either. Still, if you haven't seen any tv in 20 years and want to catch up Netflix does work very well.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Signed up for Netflix recently so that I didn't have to keep buying Breaking Bad box sets. Worth it for that alone.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16630
    I cancelled sky and signed up for netflix.  no regrets, it has enough to keep me going for a while and I tend to download other stuff still

I have my laptop set up  with a hola plugin for chrome to access the US catalogue. not had any issues with it so far and apparently netflix don't really care.

mostly i just go through a roku box which has the worst netflix app and can't be fooled into opening up the US catalogue - but it works well enough for the money

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Netflix has a good selection, though there are odd gaps in the collections...

For instance when really bored I fancied watching the Resident Evil movies (I was very bored) They have 1, 3, and 4. Not 2.
    Children of the Corn... 1, 6, 7 and on. Wait... where are the middle ones?

I've spotted sequels without the original on the list which just seems lazy.

But mostly the lack of very recent stuff, or certain classics (wanted to watch Blade Runner the other day... not there) rankle and mean that it's not a replacement for certain alternatives.
  • Thanks again for all the responses.

I signed up to Netflix last night, had a quick look round - for the moment at least, it looks like there'll be enough to justify six quid a month.