Played to (apparently) 6,000 people on Saturday

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
edited June 2015 in Live
At Witney Music Festival. It was a really nice day, free festival in a park so I guess everyone and their dog turned up. Most surprising. Biggest crowd I've played to by a factor of 20. I think the 6,000 figure is optimistic, I'd have guessed 2-3.

It did confirm one thing I've always suspected - the bigger the crowd, the less nervous I feel.

Oh, and the band on after us "didn't realise there weren't amps provided". :D
2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

Well done dude, 6K is a lot but even 2 or 3 is amazing
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Congratulations.  Makes the 250-300 we played to at a festival last year seem fairly insignificant!

I'm with you on being less nervous with bigger crowds.  A sea of faces is much easier to play to than a handful of punters.  Being able to pick out the guy in the corner who'd rather be somewhere else leaves me feeling very exposed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I've played to 150,000 people and live national TV :).

Only accidentally and for a very short time, but it was a lot of fun. I didn't even know about the TV until afterwards either!

The most for real is a couple of thousand I think - I don't know for sure since it was also at festivals and it's difficult to tell how many there are out there. I agree about it being easier to play to thousands than half a dozen. It also helps that these are generally big stages where you're well above the crowd level so you don't have some passive-aggressive punter standing in front of your monitor trying to stare you out during the song...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    We've played to 2 people in a pub, both of whom were behind the bar. It was awkward.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Lol!!!

Nice one, guys - I'm well envious! :)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    Had a mate who was there said you were amazing! Actually they were ther and said it was a great day.

Most I've played to is 4.6 million viewers but in reality it was one camera man and his dog ( I mean the producer!) for the TV program Champions which no one remembers an inter town Its a knock out in the 90's.

I have however mixed bands for large numbers of people and the nerves can be quite the same. less so for smaller gigs
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    sweet..well jealous!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404

In 2008 we were hired by Portsmouth City Council as the band to play at their big FA Cup winners parade. They expected about 30, 000 people but on the day over 120, 000 showed up. I took this photo on my phone when I walked onstage, all I could see was a sea of people in front of me and the noise was incredible

You can just about see our FOH guy in the raised mix tent. He mixed it on a Yam PM5D which he hadn't used before so it was nerves for him as well. The jenny gave out after one song and they had to re jig spurs to make more power available to the PA

The following gig a week later was in a pub to about 120 people :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    Cirrus said:

It did confirm one thing I've always suspected - the bigger the crowd, the less nervous I feel.
    :D

This. Im never nervous at any gig, but the bigger the easier. Maybe that the sound is better managed etc also. The only thing that bothers me is knowing family friends etc are present in said crowd.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Nicely done!! Have you a shot of the crowd/your view ala Danny1969?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited June 2015
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdzgsv5b8mavpik/20150530_194637.jpg?dl=0

Alas, only this one from a bit later when it had clouded over. Hopefully we'll get a video soon.

Tomorrow we're playing in leicester and TBH I'd be amazed if anyone other than the other bands were there... and even they might have buggered off by the time we're on.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Looks like a great set up.  Congrats
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    This is all awesome :)

I think the biggest crowd we've played to is probably about 500, when we opened for Pelican in 2012. Most of the time it's 70 people in a sweaty venue! I love playing small pubs, to 20 people, where you're down and dirty in the crowd. No stage, no barriers. It's a great feeling!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    viz said:
    We've played to 2 people in a pub, both of whom were behind the bar. It was awkward.
    I've been there too. Actually, the club owner was also in there (not behind the bar), he enjoyed us and told us we were well tight, and found it hard to believe it was our first gig. IIRC 'twas at The Old Trout in Windsor, spring 1989.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Excellent work!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1