New Very Old Amp Day!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• This thing is just begging for a slide and a trem pedal.............. ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    As far as I know all direct-rectified equipment does. It should be a fairly simple job to rewire them for parallel when fitting the mains transformer though - assuming they're all 6.3V types.
    Those KT33C have 26v heaters @ 300mA, I've got one (Marconi) spare that I pulled from a radio and haven't had anything to put it into, let me know if you need it.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72261
    Ah, I didn't know that - I assumed they were like other KT series valves. That makes things a bit more complicated.

The best thing might be to rebuild it for standard 6.3V types like 6V6s. If you do want to keep the original valves, it may be easiest to use a simple 240V-240V isolation transformer - it would be horribly inefficient to use the resistive voltage dropper but it probably doesn't matter that much!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

"As far as I know all direct-rectified equipment does. It should be a fairly simple job to rewire them for parallel when fitting the mains transformer though - assuming they're all 6.3V types. "

As you have now discovered IC, AC/DC kit has a variety of heater VOLTAGES but the same current.

Rather than go to the great trouble and expense of rewiring the amp I would just get it working with  a standard 1:1 workshop mains isolation traff then fit a smaller (50VAish?) isolator and earth the chassis. This then keeps the amp working almost as it would have done when dangerous! One thing alone will probably affect the sound and that is the half wave rectification. Technically very bad now of course but going to be very "saggy" I bet!

The only reservation I have is whether equipment so modified is still legal? If it passes a PAT test I cannot see why not but then I am not a technical lawyer!......I would certainly not sell the thing!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72261
    ecc83 said:

As you have now discovered IC, AC/DC kit has a variety of heater VOLTAGES but the same current.

Yes, that makes sense. Obvious when I thought about it! Doh :).

ecc83 said:

The only reservation I have is whether equipment so modified is still legal? If it passes a PAT test I cannot see why not but then I am not a technical lawyer!......I would certainly not sell the thing!

Nor me. I recently refused a job on an old DIY-built amp for exactly this reason - not because it wasn't safe or couldn't be made so, just that I felt it was unwise to personally guarantee it. The owner wanted it fixed up to sell it - I suggested he simply sold it as-is and let the buyer worry about it. It probably ended up about the same in money terms - to him anyway, not to me, but I can live without the risk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Well she's in with the amp surgeon for a make over... He's going to check her yet and impossible resurrect her and if possible make one of the inputs a line in. Should be fun to mess around with. Fingers x'd she's rescuable! I'll update the thread when I have her back and if it's serviceable will do a video...... Cheers!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2098
    Can people please learn how to use the HTML link in photobucket to embed the pictures into the thread.

It's no extra work than pasting the link from the address bar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 850
    edited November 2015
    ? All pictures show up here.... On iPad anyway....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12351
    Photobucket links are awful if you're browsing on iPhone. I usually refuse to click on them as it usually takes an age to load, then diverts to umpteen pop ups (and worse). I got tempted this time though, but all the links above come up as the same pic of a Hiwatt head. :(
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 850
    edited September 2016
    Update! 
    Looking for a U31  and some 6BR7 (ef86 swappable?)????
    Can anybody help a (paying) brother out??
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I might have a spare 6BR7, I'll have a look tonight.  there are currently GEC and Marconi U31's on Ebay for £20 approx.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Anthony Matthews at Tube Distinctions might be able to help... www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't have a spare 6BR7, I'm afraid.
  • Ah thanks a lot for looking!
  • Very Nice! 

Good luck with the restoration! 
    Ah thanks a lot for looking!

There are a couple of Brimar's on eBay just now, but they are auctions.  Langrex are showing 608 (!) in stock.   He's not the cheapest, but very good and his NOS really are NOS ie unused!  You need to call or email for a price.

http://www.langrex.co.uk/stocklist.html

• I hope it smells suitably vintage too!
    :+1:  
  • Well shes up and running! A couple of teething problems getting spare valves etc but shes finally working and sounds fantastic =)
    Ive just come away from a session with the TV15 and my Matchless Chieftain in a stereo spread with a few delay and mod pedals....  What an amazing sound - love the 2 amp thing =)
    Ill try and record a video for s+g's =)