What drives / boosts for already driven amp?

What's Hot
photekphotek Frets: 1463
edited August 2013 in FX
I have had well over 100 od pedals but am back to using amp drive and have sold all the pedals. To save me going on the hunt again can anyone suggest some drives or boosts for an already overdriven EL34 amp.

So far I have tried and like: CAE boost, SHO and an EQ pedal.

Tried and didn't like: TS9, ZVEX distortron, klone, BB pre. 

I don't like the saggy farty sound on the low notes that happens with the BB pre and distortron. Suggestions please!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Prince of tone!
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Oh yes forgot about those, had a KOT a while back that I should have bloody kept!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Suhr Koko boost, KOT, RC Booster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Like the idea of a koko boost, I have a greenhouse effects middle man boost on the way but having a 2 in one would be cool. Checking out vids now...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    +1 for the Suhr Koko Boost
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2013

@photek

As you're local to myself (I believe near Huntingdon), you're more than welcome to try any of my drive pedals.

Take your pick from

Boss SD-1

Boss SD-2

MXR Distortion 3

MXR Zakk Wylde

MXR Microamp

For something to try before you decide what you do/don't like

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I was going to get the Koko but for after a bit of thinking, went for an MXR EQ. Pair that with an EP booster and your golden. Less money and more versatile. Also more pedals for the board!
    mike_l said:

@photek

As you're local to myself (I believe near Huntingdon), you're more than welcome to try any of my drive pedals.

Take your pick from

Boss SD-1

Boss SD-2

MXR Distortion 3

MXR Zakk Wylde

MXR Microamp

For something to try before you decide what you do/don't like

Sounds like a good excuse for a jam Mike. I am in Huntingdon so will PM you to catch up. Thanks man.
  • +1 for the Suhr Koko Boost

+2
  • TC Spark Boost?

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    timmy, sd1 (might be too close to ts)
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Lazy J Cruiser Deuce, transparent and versatile. I love mine!

The Timmy is also an excellent choice, theres one for sale in the classifieds as well :-)
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850

Keeley Katana sounds good. Some Lovepedal model I've heard sounds great too, can't remember the exact one though.

I have to agree with the Koko as well.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @photek, for sure, sounds like a plan.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Has anybody compared a Suhr koko against a klon(e) type pedal?

If so, please share
  • Catthan said:
    Has anybody compared a Suhr koko against a klon(e) type pedal?

If so, please share
    It's not a straight comparison really: Koko is a totally clean boost (with an internally switchable buffer) with a selectable lo-mid/mid-mid/hi-mid boost on top...no gain control, just gobs of volume.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    With an already overdriven amp you really need a cleanish boost otherwise it will all get too muddy, unless you want loads of dirt, but you might well just compress tto much and not cut through.

I use an RC Boost, or the boost circuit on my Menatone TBIAC
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    What hywel said  about using clean(ish)

RC or AC boost  -  or a cleaner setting of something like a Boiling Point (which I love, and I know ICBM doesnt )  or a DLS
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    The sounds I have liked so far have been from clean boosts which goes along with what you guys are saying for sure. I am seriously thinking about a koko boost so I have the option of a mid boost as well and once the middle man boost arrives that should give me a good idea of if I like mid boosts.
    I guess my next questions is can you have too much mid? I use a mid heavy sound as it is and sometimes wonder if by adding too many mids I go past the point where my sound cuts.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    edited August 2013
    bertie said:
    What hywel said  about using clean(ish)

RC or AC boost  -  or a cleaner setting of something like a Boiling Point (which I love, and I know ICBM doesnt )
    I don't know if I love it or not! Never tried one. I do know it's an overhyped TS derivative though... it might be good - although still overhyped :).

The Boss SD-1 is definitely a TS-type too, but it seems to work better with Marshall-type amps for some reason. It's also far cheaper than a (real) TS, let alone any fancy copy. It still works well as a boost even when both the amp and the pedal are quite dirty.
    photek said:
    The sounds I have liked so far have been from clean boosts which goes along with what you guys are saying for sure. I am seriously thinking about a koko boost so I have the option of a mid boost as well and once the middle man boost arrives that should give me a good idea of if I like mid boosts.
    I guess my next questions is can you have too much mid? I use a mid heavy sound as it is and sometimes wonder if by adding too many mids I go past the point where my sound cuts.
    I don't think you lose cut, just that the sound can get very nasal if you overdo the mids.

Clean boosts with an upper-mid edge or bass cut will work, but the cleaner (ie the less effect it has on the tone) the boost the less effective since it will be trying to boost the whole frequency spectrum, and that's when it turns the amp to mush without boosting the volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein