What drives / boosts for already driven amp?

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@photek,  MXR Micro amp could very well be the way to go. I'll bring mine when you do your testing. BTW I forgot to mention the Bad Monkey, which will also be coming, with the other pedals...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    mike_l said:

@photek,  MXR Micro amp could very well be the way to go. I'll bring mine when you do your testing. BTW I forgot to mention the Bad Monkey, which will also be coming, with the other pedals...

All systems go for a meet tomorrow by the way. Should really take some sort of video camera and post the results however my Flip camera is broken :(

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    ICBM said:
     I do know it's an overhyped TS derivative though...
    only 1/2 of it..............it does asymmetrical clipping as well   
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited August 2013
    bertie said:
    ICBM said:
    So it's an overhyped SD-1 derivative too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    *lol or facepalm*.................mmmm decisions....................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@photek, just tell me when and where.

I'll bring all the drive pedals, the DSL and a couple of guitars, so there'll be plenty to try......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• T Rex Twin Boost. ;)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    ICBM said:

The Boss SD-1 is definitely a TS-type too, but it seems to work better with Marshall-type amps for some reason. It's also far cheaper than a (real) TS, let alone any fancy copy. It still works well as a boost even when both the amp and the pedal are quite dirty.
    I wonder does it work better with Marshalls because it suits them better, or because it suits the tone most people want out of Marshalls better? They probably are a little less middy than a ts which probably helps, but they're also quite fizzy which i'm guessing Marshall guys also want.
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:
    ICBM said:
    So it's an overhyped SD-1 derivative too :).
    LOL excellent :D
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    Cmatmods signa drive, really versatile.
    ftumch said:

Good call, had the super signa for a while and it was ace.
    photek said:
    ftumch said:

Good call, had the super signa for a while and it was ace.

Aye I've been through a few, nowhere near the hundred though but that's seems to be what I've settled on. For now at least :D I had a fulltone plimsoul too that was really good, maybe worth a look, although I think that's probably more suited to the 'more gain' type stuff, it still does low gain but kinda gritty, in a good way.
  • Just started using a mojo fx rook for just such a job. Also like mt jam pedals td58 just thickens the sound.
    Just started using a mojo fx rook for just such a job. Also like mt jam pedals td58 just thickens the sound.

I was after one of those for a while, meant to be a nice alternative to a klon with extra switchyness?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    ftumch said:
    Aye I've been through a few, nowhere near the hundred though but that's seems to be what I've settled on. For now at least :D I had a fulltone plimsoul too that was really good, maybe worth a look, although I think that's probably more suited to the 'more gain' type stuff, it still does low gain but kinda gritty, in a good way.
    The Plimsoul is great, but it's a high gain distortion not a boost. 
    ftumch said:
    The Plimsoul is great, but it's a high gain distortion not a boost. 

It is indeed, but with the gain right down and volume up any dirt pedal will act as a boost won't it? It probably has too much gain for photeks needs though your right.
    tFB Trader
    ftumch said: 
    It is indeed, but with the gain right down and volume up any dirt pedal will act as a boost won't it? It probably has too much gain for photeks needs though your right.
    Some will, but the Plimsoul is very filthy indeed so it's quite dirty even when turned down. I think it really excels into a clean amp. 
    ftumch said: 
    Some will, but the Plimsoul is very filthy indeed so it's quite dirty even when turned down. I think it really excels into a clean amp. 

I thought It did the low gain thing brill, tis what I used it for anyway. That's what's great about this sort of stuff I guess we all hear different things from the same gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ftumch said:
    I thought It did the low gain thing brill, tis what I used it for anyway. That's what's great about this sort of stuff I guess we all hear different things from the same gear.
    It does do good low gain sounds, but unlike say a TS it's still quite dirty even when turned down. I don't think it really does a true clean boost. It also sounded quite muddy if I used it to push the dirty channel on my Supersonic. Awesome into the clean channel (shouldn't have sold it) 
    ftumch said:
    It does do good low gain sounds, but unlike say a TS it's still quite dirty even when turned down. I don't think it really does a true clean boost. It also sounded quite muddy if I used it to push the dirty channel on my Supersonic. Awesome into the clean channel (shouldn't have sold it) 

God no it's not a clean boost, not in a million yrs but he asked for drives and boosts, that's the only reason I mentioned it. I used to use it on low gain settings to boost the dirty channel of my Rivera and it sounded good to my cloth ears anyway ;)
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    The DOD YJM308 (Yngwie sig) pedal is designed to be used into a dirty amp, so that may be worth a look. Other than that the MXR Distortion + is another classic for this sort of use.