New Pedalboard - Smorg's gone Metal!

What's Hot
My rather unhealthy obsession with making pedalboards continues.........

Some of you may have seen, or even tried, the traditional birch ply core Pedalboards that I make from time to time.

Well, if you can't beat them, join them - Smorg has gone METAL (ahem, as in material, as in Aluminium)

The idea is a sort of hybrid of a full surface board and a ped**ltr**n type rail board. I've never personally been a fan of pedals hovering over rails (and the wires being visible underneath, but can see the value in the power supply being underneath. This idea is to give a clear, full space for pedals and allow a small gap at the top of each row for jack plug / power leads to pass through.
This also give more surface area underneath to attach cables and power supplies to.

Anyway, just having a play with them, a few things still to work through, but any initial feedback welcome. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Both look great! Any idea/rough guide on pricing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited June 2015
    Both look great! Any idea/rough guide on pricing?
    Thanks! Price wise, well I can't compete with Chinese manufacture unfortunately, and haven't done any thorough maths, but board only prices would be around £35 mark for the smaller one (which is 400mm total length, 350mm Velcro length, and £55 for the larger one (which is 450mm total length, 400mm Velcro length). That's including loop and hook Velcro, cable ties and bases.

The real interesting thing with the way they are constructed is that custom sizes could be pretty easily accommodated, quite unique for a metal board, maybe 15% more on top of a similar sized standard board.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Look good how would you secure a Cioks DC10?
    capo4th said:
    Look good how would you secure a Cioks DC10?
    At the moment, 3M dual lock tape! Mounting brackets etc I haven't got to yet.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Nice work again D. They look good. Will cases be extra?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Here's a curious idea...the problem I've always had with PT-style boards is that the back row are hard to stomp on without catching the knobs on the front row pedals.

How about a hybrid board? Front row low and parallel to the ground, back row raised and angled?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Both look great! Any idea/rough guide on pricing?
    Thanks! Price wise, well I can't compete with Chinese manufacture unfortunately, and haven't done any thorough maths, but board only prices would be around £35 mark for the smaller one (which is 400mm total length, 350mm Velcro length, and £55 for the larger one (which is 450mm total length, 400mm Velcro length). That's including loop and hook Velcro, cable ties and bases.

The real interesting thing with the way they are constructed is that custom sizes could be pretty easily accommodated, quite unique for a metal board, maybe 15% more on top of a similar sized standard board.

Decent!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7160
    @digitalscream the Pedaltrain risers allow just that. They're angled. I use theirs for back row, and the non angled risers by diago for middle row, then nothing on the front.
    GavHaus said:
    @digitalscream the Pedaltrain risers allow just that. They're angled. I use theirs for back row, and the non angled risers by diago for middle row, then nothing on the front.
    True enough, but I don't like having my front pedals that far off the ground - although I can see how I'm probably a bit more finicky than most about these things ;)
    <space for hire>
    How about a hybrid board? Front row low and parallel to the ground, back row raised and angled?

That's a rather good idea!
    Kebabkid said:
    Nice work again D. They look good. Will cases be extra?
    Yes, looking at soft case options at the moment.
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    So much want.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Where do we sign up?!
    Where do we sign up?!

Well a few things to work through since I've had these up and running, but the smaller one is very close.

The annodised black front and back frame I will likely change to the same silver Alu finish as the sides as it's just not proving hard wearing enough to withstand the manufacturing process or onward use (abuse).

I'm experimenting with the rubber feet to hopefully give enough room underneath the small board to take a Cioks Adam.

Also looking at a cost effective soft case option.

I reckon I can get to having the first 5 or so of the "Nano" boards (I think I will call it "Grab" Board) with case option within 4 weeks.

Meanwhile I'll fine tune the larger wedge one (in a couple of sizes).

So if anyone's interested (no commitment at this stage just interest) in taking one of the first 5 "Grab" boards let me know.

I usually do a small discount for first few to the wild as I actively ask for feedback on these.

Weight for the smaller board BTW is 2 lb. Total dims are 400mm x 190mm, velcro'd area 350mm x 125mm but you can overhang onto the frame or the gap no problem. It will comfortably take a large Strymon Pedal (Timeline etc).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Count me in for road-testing a Grab, looks like one would be the perfect size either for my bass 'board or my planned 'slot in the back of the combo' guitar 'board... :)
    IanSavage said:
    Count me in for road-testing a Grab, looks like one would be the perfect size either for my bass 'board or my planned 'slot in the back of the combo' guitar 'board... :)

First in. Thanks!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    As a former Diago, and now PT user, these look like an excellent half-way option. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

I like @digitalscream 's idea - if the side bars were flat then stepped up for the back row it'd be neat - but it'd mean welding and also you'd be left with the inverse problem - you'd need a riser on the front row to accommodate wah pedals :)

or am I missing something.

by the way I love those boards :)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    They look awesome!
    frankus said:

I like @digitalscream 's idea - if the side bars were flat then stepped up for the back row it'd be neat - but it'd mean welding and also you'd be left with the inverse problem - you'd need a riser on the front row to accommodate wah pedals :)

No, you're not missing anything. I just don't care about wah pedals ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:

by the way I love those boards :)

Yeah, it's definately worthy of some thought, which is why I'm going to take a bit more time over the larger boards.

There's a few immidiate options - the board can be flat with a partial riser at the back for wah users, still giving space underneath the board for cabaleing and under the riser for power.

There's also an option also of have the lower shelf sunken by 10mm or so to get the first tier closer to the floor and give the second tier more space without increasing overall height.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom