New Pedalboard - Smorg's gone Metal!

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Deffo up for one of these once I've got cash !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd be interested. Would be a good size for the bass board i'm building.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    A few pics of the Grab populated (though not wired for power yet).

Also what a large flat board with riser (enough underneath for a PP2) and wah / volume space could look like (excuse the sock!)

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'm interested in a Grab board too! 
    Trying to plan out a small board to go with an acoustic rig I'm trying to set up, Looks perfect for an RC-30 and Fishman Aura Spectrum.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Somewhat amusingly, the Grab board is barely big enough for my delay pedal and amp footswitch. Bugger.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Think I'm gonna concentrate on the Grab first and offer it three different length's as I'm really pleased with it as a nifty and practical small board.

Grab400 (400mm total,350mm Velcro)
    Grab500 (500mm total, 450mm Velcro)
    Grab600 (600mm total, 550mm Velcro)

I can then get this lot onto a Grab600 with the Cioks sitting underneath.

Hmmm.

HMMMMMMM.
    <space for hire>
    @dindude - reckon you could fit a Cioks AC Rider (130mm x 88mm x 39mm) under a Grab 600?
    <space for hire>
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    are we meant to silently add the "asbord" in our minds as we say "Smörgåsbord"?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    I like the look of these. They look like they're taken from a posh kitchen unit.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    frankus;659059" said:
    are we meant to silently add the "asbord" in our minds as we say "Smörgåsbord"?
    Kinda, for full effect think SmorGASboard
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha. Maybe a sideline in matching Smorg toaster and kettle?

P.s. A board in "your" size @gavhaus is a long way off!
    Just as well having just bought a Pedaltrain Grande! that a) is very good, and b) was very expensive, I could well do without the distraction!
    have you seen Templeboards? they look kinda cool
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    dindude said:
    Think I'm gonna concentrate on the Grab first and offer it three different length's as I'm really pleased with it as a nifty and practical small board.

Grab400 (400mm total,350mm Velcro)
    Grab500 (500mm total, 450mm Velcro)
    Grab600 (600mm total, 550mm Velcro)
    jpg

Argh, I could really do with the extra 100mm but then one wouldn't fit into the back of my combo which is kinda the point (jam-night / little gig 'board) - colour me interested in a Grab 400! Out of interest, would a Diago Micropower fit under one?
    GavHaus;659120" said:
    Nah, looks like a BBQ (it's competition, why would I like it ;) )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    IanSavage;659129" said:
    dindude said:

Grab400 (400mm total,350mm Velcro)Grab500 (500mm total, 450mm Velcro)Grab600 (600mm total, 550mm Velcro)jpg

Argh, I could really do with the extra 100mm but then one wouldn't fit into the back of my combo which is kinda the point (jam-night / little gig 'board) - colour me interested in a Grab 400! Out of interest, would a Diago Micropower fit under one?
    Yes, Diago would fit, looking at 30mm clearance
    dindude said:
    GavHaus;659120" said:
    Nah, looks like a BBQ (it's competition, why would I like it ;) )

hahaha. I thought Meccano
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    My only comment would be to design in sufficient clearance for all/most power bricks. I don't know if any are thicker than others but it would be a right pita if I bought a board only to find I couldn't mount my existing power brick underneath. 

Also, not sure about routing all cables upwards into the thin slot. Some pedals have power and input/outputs on the side so maybe another slot in between the Velcro strips?

Anyway, good luck with it all and hats off for having a proper go.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    edited June 2015
    rsvmark said:
    My only comment would be to design in sufficient clearance for all/most power bricks. I don't know if any are thicker than others but it would be a right pita if I bought a board only to find I couldn't mount my existing power brick underneath. 

Also, not sure about routing all cables upwards into the thin slot. Some pedals have power and input/outputs on the side so maybe another slot in between the Velcro strips?

Anyway, good luck with it all and hats off for having a proper go.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

On the smaller "Grab" boards, to get sufficient clearance for all Power Supplies, such as a VL PP2 at 44mm, it would be so far off the floor as to make it impractical to step on. The Grab is really in the same ball-park as say a PT Nano, which also wouldn't have such clearance, it's just not doable on such a small, narrow board. There are some new Power Supplies coming to market (such as the Cioks) which tackles this problem.

The larger (two-tier) boards will absolutely have sufficient clearance for all power supplies.

Regarding the second point - I guess what you've described there is a Pedaltrain, which is obviously a great option for a lot of people and no point me replicating that design, just go buy one if it suits your needs.

The idea with this design is that (for me personally), I always use solderless cables cut to length, there is no value in having them weave under and over the board - just keep them on top, trimed to length and kept in check if necessary with cable ties and bases.

The power cables need to pass under as that is where the power supply is likely placed, hence the gap - they can also be kept in check with cable ties and bases on top and all the slack length kept tidy underneath.

I guess the best thing is that I get one fully wired up, which I will do once I've built the final version, you will then see what I'm aiming for as an alternative to both a rails type board and a trad flat type board - I promise it will be a lot neater than the mess of cables you see dangling in between rails on a lot of Pedaltrains.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom