New Pedalboard - Smorg's gone Metal!

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    digitalscream;658888" said:
    @dindude - reckon you could fit a Cioks AC Rider (130mm x 88mm x 39mm) under a Grab 600?
    Sorry, missed this somehow. An AC rider would be a bit of a stretch. Probably doable with some taller feet but the pedals would be someway off the floor by then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    dindude said:

The idea with this design is that (for me personally), I always use solderless cables cut to length, there is no value in having them weave under and over the board - just keep them on top, trimed to length and kept in check if necessary with cable ties and bases.

Good point. Well made. I'll get my coat.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    dindude said:

Also looking at a cost effective soft case option.

I reckon I can get to having the first 5 or so of the "Nano" boards (I think I will call it "Grab" Board) with case option within 4 weeks.

Just in case it's sorting out the soft case option that's holding you up, I carry my pedalboard in a backpack with my bass amp head so wouldn't need one...I'm in no rush personally btw, just thought I'd mention it :)

Yeah, I guess it's time for a bit of an update.

Raw materials are on their way to me this week, enough to make 3 x Grab400, 3 x Grab500, and 2 x Grab600, although I will be taking one of the 600's for myself! So in total 7 are up for Grabs (arf arf). Will hopefully get some build time this weekend.

I will PM, in order, those who have shown interest in this initial thread for first refusal.

I've managed to achieve a nice finish on the black part of the frame in the end so they will look pretty much like the ones in the pics. I've got the rubber feet sorted so that they give enough clearance for a c.30mm tall power supply. I've also upgraded the Alu plate to a better spec for a bit of added stiffness.

Prices for these intial 7 will be at approx. 20% reduction from final selling price. Thereafter, so long as no major changes need to be made and thus tested, they will be at full price.

So expect the 20% reduced, board only, prices to be £30 for a Grab400, £35 for a Grab500, and £40 for a Grab600. Postage will be at cost on top, around £7 / £8 likely.

Bags are proving to take a little longer to get sorted but is a work in progress.

Quite excitied to get these first few up and running and some of them out there.

Cheers

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    These do look great. Congrats on turning what's in your head into a very coll reality.
    All three sizes together for comparison, and the first couple ready to fly the nest.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Looking forward to getting mine, and making up a 'simple' board
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I'll take a 600 if any are left

Cabicular said:
    I'll take a 600 if any are left

Grab600's from this first batch are all spoken for unfortunately, I'll PM you.
    edited June 2015
    A few sample bags have arrived.

Looking for some genuine feedback here. They are made from 10mm padded material with tough canvas style outer. Trying to keep things simple with the satchel style flap, no zips to break etc. makes unloading a breeze, just reach in and grab the board, pull the bag away.

But what do people think?, it's a bit different to a normal pedalboard bag.

There are a few dimensional tweaks to make the fit just right.

Here's the Grab400 and 600 bags.

I like those bags a lot
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    edited July 2015
    They look great! Only thing I might add would be a shoulder strap, just in case you're trying to carry guitar, amp and pedal board at once. But I'd buy one for my new Grab500! ;)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    The 600 one looks a bit odd with the offset handle - or is that a trick of the perspective?
    <space for hire>

Cheers for the feedback so far.

@markslade07 I will look at what cost some extra ringlets would add so that a strap could be added.

@digitalscream the handle on all of them is slightly offset, this so that it angles slightly as you carry it with the opening end pointing upwards slightly, so there is no danger of a heavy board opening the flap by accident (although unlikely)

General question, does the fact of a flap instead of a zip type bag cause any concern? - it means that it isn't fully sealed like a zip bag (although the outer material is fully waterproof)

I personally like the fact that they are a bit different to the norm, seems to suit the style of the board itself, but I'm interetsed in general concensus. 

And both, we need to see pictures of your populated Grab's - I'm sure everyone's bored of me wittering on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I like the flap and as long as if you held it upside down, (ie: you picked it up wrongly at a gig), and nothing fell out, it works for me. A shoulder strap is a good idea.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    edited July 2015
    Yep, that's actually a good reason for it - have a wisdom for the detailed thinking :)

The only concern I'd have with the flap is what happens when the velcro wears out, but that's a looooong-way-off problem which is easily solved a few years down the line anyway.

Here's mine:

I know it seems a but uneven, but the Decatrol has its socket on the right (next to the OD LED)...however, I wanted it next to my delay pedal, because they're the two most stomped-on units. I was considering moving the tuner and phaser to the left, but having used it last night at rehearsal it seems to work pretty well like this. Also, the Polytune's set back a bit because it's pretty close to the phaser, and I didn't want any silent-solo moments (which may or may not have happened a few times in the past...).

The cabling's a little messy, because I'm still not 100% set on the layout and I don't want to make cables up only to change my mine later. Also, I'm still hoping I can find a solution to the power supply problem caused by the Timebender...

EDIT: The point of all this waffling is that this board is the first I've come across that lets me put everything in a line without feeling cramped or like it's going to fall apart at any second (really, the build quality is brilliant). I was extra-surprised that the patch bay fit perfectly behind the amp footswitch, so no mucking around with pulling effects off to connect it all up either.

It's worth bearing in mind that bundled with these is all the velcro you'll need, plus adhesive cable routing widgets and cable ties; everything you need to keep it neat and tidy (just like I didn't).

I tweaked mine a bit by halving the height of the feet at the front, to get a bit more of an angle on the board (makes it easier to hit the switches for me). The fact that you can do that is a proper bonus, as compared with other similar boards made by popular manufacturers...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @digitalscream - I like how the vast majority of your last post is apologising for layout and messiness of cabling!! ;-)