Vibrato

What's Hot

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 182
    Anybody ever been to a guitar clinic like that? 
    I used to help out at IGF so got to sit in on some lessons which was cool. Fancy doing something like that again but solely as a student next time. 
    why not igf this year?  I'm doing da funk :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    16-19 July? 
    I'll be busy with work but maybe next time round!!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Back from the dead thread....

When I started this thread I was struggling with my vibrato. I have tried to work on it. When I got a new guitar a few weeks back I thought I'd record it. What I thought I'd do is just throw it up on here for a little bit of advice from you guys. I know the playing is ropey, it is really just a bit of rubbishy improv that I didn't think about (and it shows).

Please let me know what your thoughts are on the vibrato. I find it easier to shake the guitar rather than from the wrist for some reason.

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Been following along with Music Radar's 30 day challenge and here's their vibrato one:
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    shaunm said:

When I started this thread I was struggling with my vibrato. I have tried to work on it. When I got a new guitar a few weeks back I thought I'd record it. What I thought I'd do is just throw it up on here for a little bit of advice from you guys. I know the playing is ropey, it is really just a bit of rubbishy improv that I didn't think about (and it shows).

Please let me know what your thoughts are on the vibrato. I find it easier to shake the guitar rather than from the wrist for some reason.

notice that you only shake the guitar when putting vib on a note you've bent upwards..
    the rest of your vib is executed by twisting the wrist and pulley the string downwards..

if you bent the G string downwards [rather than upwards] you'd most likely use the wrist for both the bend and the addition of vib.. 
    which is exactly what Clarky's do
    play every note as if it were your first
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    My personal favourites for vibrato are definitely "bluesy" players. I would say Kossoff, Gilmour and Gary Moore in his slower moments (especially the "Blues for Greeny" album) have amazingly evocative vibrato.
    Clarky;745953" said:
    shaunm said:

notice that you only shake the guitar when putting vib on a note you've bent upwards..the rest of your vib is executed by twisting the wrist and pulley the string downwards..

if you bent the G string downwards [rather than upwards] you'd most likely use the wrist for both the bend and the addition of vib.. which is exactly what Clarky's do
    It is indeed only on the E, B and G strings when I bend upwards. That has been the mission really, bent note vibrato. I have always pulled down on the string but I find totally it doesn't sing in the same way as when I bend the string up so I have been working on the ability to add vibrato to a bent (up) note, something I've never been able to do.
    interesting... cos bent up or down, my vib sounds just the same...
    Clarky;746667" said:
    My shitty technique can make anything sound "different"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I think your vibrato on the regular fretted notes is very good, sounds particularly suited to your bluesy playing.

Your vibrato on the bent notes seems to be coming from a lifting of the forearm (at the elbow) rather than a rotation of the wrist (like your bends and regular vibrato are produced).

It doesn't sound bad, but might impede you when applying vibrato to shorter notes or in rapid sequences of notes. you should find it easier to control the pitch of the bend with a rotational vibrato too.

shaunm said:
    Clarky;746667" said:
    My shitty technique can make anything sound "different"

I wouldn't call your playing shitty at all..

I liked it..

• For me, the players with great vibrato (BB King, Albert King, Clapton, Peter Green) all have that superb control that comes with rotation of the wrist. The other thing they have in common is bending up to the note, then vibrato comes from relaxing down and pushing back up to pitch - never going sharp.
    @Clarky - thank you very much it's kind of you to say. I guess I am at that point where I've played for so long that I can play a bit but I have no real technique or I've never really studied my playing to improve it.

For the whole time I've played I've just not added vibrato to bent notes on the E and B strings and just slid up to the appropriate note. How lazy is that?!?
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

Not Lazy, just finding your own way.

We are lucky that we are able to enjoy the learning process all along the way, only needing to add or improve as we see fit.

I remember as a teenage boy watching "Maiden England" and wanting to have Vibrato like Dave Murray. It was hard trying to work out how he did it without anyone to point me in the right direction. Just had to watch which parts of his hands/arms were moving in which way.

If I'd had Youtube or forums to ask more advanced guitarists, I'd have been a better player now.

shaunm said:
    @Clarky - thank you very much it's kind of you to say. I guess I am at that point where I've played for so long that I can play a bit but I have no real technique or I've never really studied my playing to improve it.

For the whole time I've played I've just not added vibrato to bent notes on the E and B strings and just slid up to the appropriate note. How lazy is that?!?

you seem to move around the neck very comfortably and quickly.. your timing and phrasing are good..

thing is.. we all get very used to our own sound, note choices, licks 'n' tricks.. so we can all perceive ourselves as sounding a bit stale. this is not unusual at all.. and likewise we can look at other players and find them so interesting and exciting to listen to.. in reality though it's not because they are necessarily better, more like it's because they are different..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Just a small point going back to the early posts: doesn't Gilmour also use the trem for vibrato on bends?

Buy a strat!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think he does @streethawk but Clapton says that people don't need "one of those bars" and I believe him.

@Clarky - again, thank you for your kind words. That is the first time I've put a video up on here before.

What you said is so true, also I keep listening to a lot of SRV at the moment which is doing wonders for my lick library but nothing for my confidence as he makes it all so easy. It's the fluency that blows me away with people like him, Robben Ford and Larry Carlton. It's all second nature, the notes just jump from their amps right from the mind - or so it seems.
    @Clarky - What you said is so true, also I keep listening to a lot of SRV at the moment which is doing wonders for my lick library but nothing for my confidence as he makes it all so easy. It's the fluency that blows me away with people like him, Robben Ford and Larry Carlton. It's all second nature, the notes just jump from their amps right from the mind - or so it seems.
    here's the deal with the guitar legends…
    once upon a time… they were just as crap as everyone else… and before that they couldn't play at all..

the greatest contributing factor to what they became is about time effort put in..
    add to that plenty of experimentation / trial and error..
    and then a sprinkle of fair and gift..
    there really is no reason why most players cannot get close to the dizzy heights they achieved..
    it's not about 'wanting it' enough..
    it's about doing something about it in a way that tends towards obsession.. 
    OCD kid sort of obsession..

Back from the dead yet again.

I've still been practising my vibrato. This is a little bit of free playing at a blues jam last night. Personally I thing that my vibrato is starting to grow up a little. It's far from perfect but it's better.

Any advice would be great as always. I find it really useful to share on here.

https://m.soundcloud.com/mallia222/60s-blues

@Clarky what do you think? Any improvement?
    shaunm said:
    Back from the dead yet again.

I've still been practising my vibrato. This is a little bit of free playing at a blues jam last night. Personally I thing that my vibrato is starting to grow up a little. It's far from perfect but it's better.

Any advice would be great as always. I find it really useful to share on here.

https://m.soundcloud.com/mallia222/60s-blues

@Clarky what do you think? Any improvement?
    the vib sounds great.. 
    and given the style, it's nice and gentle too
    in this style you wouldn't want that great big wide vib like Schenker for example..
    top job..
    be careful with over bending.. on occasion you pushed a little past the target note..
    easily done though.. just something to be mindful of