Budget Freshman guitar?

daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681

My daughter, who's now 16 has previously dabbled with guitar and bass but at the time it wasn't for her, even though IMHO she had a natural aptitude.Well, she's now into music in a much bigger way and has decided she would quite like an acoustic guitar.

For reasons I won't go into she would like a Freshman. I was thinking the FA1ABK might be good. Anyone got any opinions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    No one?
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Worth reading this thread- http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/1059/cheap-but-decent-sounding-small-body-acoustic-recommendations-please#latest the OP eventually bought a Freshman, but gave his thoughts on similar guitars he tried before deciding.
     After I sold my old Gibson acoustic. i picked up a freshman ( I think the non electro/non cutaway version of the one you mentioned) I had intended it to be a make do purchase, so i could take my time deciding on new one. The Freshman was so good I ended up keeping it for a couple of years, even when I bought my Martin, it certainly didn't embarrass itself alongside. I only ended up selling cos I needed the space.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    I bought a Freshman FAsomethingorother (I don't have it to hand to check the model) a couple of years ago, and it really is lovely, certainly for the £75 it cost me. All solid woods, solid cedar top, good hardware, plays like a dream. I'd buy another one any day.
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 293
    I was the OP in that thread...

I ended up with a Freshman Renegade, which I think is bottom of the range. It sounds OK/good, rather than stunning (I think it has a laminate top) but was one of the better sounding folk sized ones that I tried within my budget. There are a few sloppy bits on the finishing, but nothing drastic. I believe they come with a lifetime warranty, too. My only niggle is that the string spacing at the bridge is quite narrow. The main thing about it, though is that it plays very nicely indeed.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    edited October 2013
    I used to have a FA400D. They're more money granted, but it was the best acoustic I've ever owned or played for that matter. Build quality was superb.
  • My mate has a cheap tanglewood with a solid spruce top.  It sounded nasty, but now after 6 years it sounds wonderful, especially for fingerpicking.  

I've tried plenty of Freshmans and they've all punched well above the price.  Even the cheaper all-laminate ones sounded excellent (I don't think solid top necessarily means better).  I preferred the satin finished ones too, but they also come in a nice variety of colours and finishes, which is nice at that price point.  Even the electros were good for the money.

Actually, most of them were good full stop - you could double the price and I'd think they were good.  I tried one of the £600 ones and a bloke who was playing a £900 takamine or martin (can't remember) came over, asked to have a go and bought it (asking if I was buying first obviously).  
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    I was helping a mate pick out an acoustic for his son this afternoon.

I thought the Vintage V300 was excellent for the money, but there was a £200 Freshman that really sounded great, a bit less strident and mopre rounded than the Vintage, but it was a bigger-body instrument.

I managed to get out of the shop before some personal Gas-age, but I think it's a case of "when", not "if".