What would it cost to have a mini-humbucker wound ...

What's Hot
BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
edited October 2013 in Guitar

I miss the rasping sound of my old Firebird V, and was thinking about fitting a mini-humbucker in the bridge position of my strat. I imagine it would have to be 'wound / made' to take account of the strats character if I wanted to retain some of the firebirds unique sound.

Thoughts ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    Thanks for the mention T Tony,  about £60 plus P&P and a 10 to 14 day wait from me. I can do you mini humbuckers in the poleless Firebird version ... my 'Winterizers', or standard mini humbuckers. 
    PM me for more info
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    I can do you mini humbuckers in the poleless Firebird version ... my 'Winterizers', or standard mini humbuckers. 

Before I commit, I am going to borrow a pup from a Les Paul Studio '70s Tribute to get some idea of the sound.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    Thanks for the mention T Tony,  about £60 plus P&P and a 10 to 14 day wait from me. I can do you mini humbuckers in the poleless Firebird version ... my 'Winterizers', or standard mini humbuckers. 
    PM me for more info
    Can you - and this is somewhat but not entirely speculative - do minibuckers in a P90 case? I really, really, really like that look - I have the DiMarzio ones in Sporkaster 3 - but it'd be nice to have more options regarding how they sound.

These are the DiM ones:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_pickup/dp210bk.jpg
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    I can do you mini humbuckers in the poleless Firebird version ... my 'Winterizers', or standard mini humbuckers. 

Before I commit, I am going to borrow a pup from a Les Paul Studio '70s Tribute to get some idea of the sound.

Remember those modern Gibbos are wound absolutely nothing like a real Firebird ... or my Winterizers ... that are pretty much bang on the sound of a 60s 'Bird' before they started chuffing about with 'sidewinder' designs or modern ceramic magnets.

Sporky said:
    PM me for more info
    Can you - and this is somewhat but not entirely speculative - do minibuckers in a P90 case? I really, really, really like that look - I have the DiMarzio ones in Sporkaster 3 - but it'd be nice to have more options regarding how they sound.

These are the DiM ones:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_pickup/dp210bk.jpg
    Should be no problem ... will have to drill a blank cover if you want the poles showing ... but that's doable.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

The poles showing is critical to the aesthetic appeal, I reckon. Ta!
    tFB Trader
    Yusss well I'd have to make a template for the job ... but that's pretty standard ... what sort of output would you want? The bobbins would be custom built for the job so that could be pretty much up to you.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Remember those modern Gibbos are wound absolutely nothing like a real Firebird ... or my Winterizers ... that are pretty much bang on the sound of a 60s 'Bird' before they started chuffing about with 'sidewinder' designs or modern ceramic magnets.

This is where I'm hoping some customization will come into play.  I understand the basic debate over the vintage vs modern Firebird mini-humbuckers. Ironically my Firebird was a 2005 model - so I assume it had the harsh pickups that no one appears to like ? (correct me if I'm wrong). So my thinking was to take the spec of the stock modern Firebird pickup and see if it could be customised to take into account the strats tone but still retain the Firebird sound.

Ideally, I need to borrow a Firebird pickup from a guitar built in recent years to hear the tonal difference in the strat .

Yusss well I'd have to make a template for the job ... but that's pretty standard ... what sort of output would you want? The bobbins would be custom built for the job so that could be pretty much up to you.
    Probably my normal preference; something low-mid output in the neck, lots of "chime", then much more oomph out of the bridge. I'll give you a shout when I'm at the point of knowing exactly what I'm doing (should that ever occur!).
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The Dimarzio ones are petty hot and sound like humbuckers. Used in Yammie AES1500. Good rock pickup. 
    Yup - the set I have (Air something and TZ90 I think) do sound conventional - good but conventional. It's mostly that I just really like the shape of them with the two rows of pole pieces. Much nicer to my eyes than the conventional 'bucker shape.
    tFB Trader
    They look a touch edible to me ... if they were in ivory I'd be thinking marzipan ... ooooo I knew I shouldn't have eaten that cheese last night

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013
    The thing that most irks me about the DiM ones is that the mounting screws aren't recessed - the entire head is proud of the pickup casing. It looks messy and unconsidered. Ideally they'd be countersunk and in black.
  • Maybe the head is just proud to be on a Sporkaster? :D
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    The thing that most irks me about the DiM ones is that the mounting screws aren't recessed - the entire head is proud of the pickup casing. It looks messy and unconsidered. Ideally they'd be countersunk and in black.
    Hummm have to try and better that :)

I did consider drilling the covers a little to recess them, but it just seemed a bit too likely to go wrong.