WTB Bass preamp pedal. Anyone have any suggestions... Or maybe one for sale ?

SnazzyGeezerSnazzyGeezer Frets: 38
I'm looking for a Bass preamp pedal ( mainly for recording) ,I've been looking at the Hartke Attack, the Eden WTDI, Sansamp bass driver. So far I'm liking the Hartke attack,the best. Does anyone have any experience with any of these pedals,or any others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Don't laugh but the Behringer BDI-21 Sans Amp clone is remarkably good. There was a load of A/B testing posted on TalkBass some years back and nobody could really spot the difference. Also, I've had mine for a good 7 years or so, bought second hand and gigged it loads, and it still hasn't broke.

For twenty quid, it might even do as a stopgap until you get your hands on one of the proper ones. I love the sound of the Aguilar Tonehammer, might be worth adding that to your list!

• SnazzyGeezerSnazzyGeezer Frets: 38
    edited June 2015
    Thank you sir,now that's very interesting, I've steered clear of that pedal disregarding it as junk ( not maybe be in sound, more built quality) as people say that they break just by looking at them. Sounds like they're wrong ! It'll be mainly for recording anyway, I'm definitely going to youtube it. All the best, Steve
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    I have 2.

The Tech 21 VT Bass DI and the Darkglass B7K

They are quite different, but both very useful. The VT is definitely an Ampeg but will go from the B15 to the SVT and more modern tones using the character control. The B15 sound is very accurate to my ears. Perfect for Motown and old (proper!) R&B.

The B7K is actually very good clean, but it's brilliant driven.

I do hope to get the Darkglass Vintage Microtubes  Deluxe as well at some point
  • ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 111
    All depends on the tone you want, what type of sound or style are you going for?
  • Nothing in particular,just a generic rock/pop sound, and a little slap maybe. The only distortion I'd use is to emulate a valve head, warmth rather than distortion I suppose.
  • ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 111
    I always found the Bass Drivers to add a rock tone to the sound, so it's harder to get a more natural or smoother bass sound without having the bass EQ too high or the wet signal too low. It's such a popular pedal, yet it's very tone altering in one dimension. For years all you could get was the Bass Driver, I had one for donkeys. I think that the Aguilar Tone Hsmmer is a great pre amp and it's one of my two, it's EQ is very sensitive and it's not so dramatically tone altering. The AGS function is great with the gain turned down low for a bit of bite. I have a Dark Glass B7K, great for overdrive and boosting your tone, but I wouldn't personally use it a preamp. My other preamp is s JHS Colour Box which I use for very old school sounds. Stupidly expensive and not one I'd recommend unless you really want that sound. Aguilar all the way for me, and believe me I've tried a ton of them! But it's all down to personal taste isn't it? So have I helped? Who knows?!!!! :)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited June 2015
    I have the M80 and BB1X. I like the BB1X personally, though I don't like it for really high gain more just for a nice warm fat sound. For distorted sounds I really like the M80. The clean sound on the M80 is basically just EQ, so if you're looking for just a bit of warmth I'd say it isn't the best choice, it is either clean or quite dirty.

IMO the BB1X sounds best when not hit too hard, then you can get more subtle warmth type tones out of it.  There is loads of level available afterwards to boost the volume up.  I've tried it with two active humbucker basses and a Jazz bass, and it sounded best with the passive Jazz.  I then went back and reduced volume on the active basses (via the M80 set flat) and was able to get ballpark of the same kind of tones again.  Without attenuation a high output bass could get quite a bit of dirt from it, but I personally prefer it for more moderate sounds.

I've forgotten my headphones today but I think this was one of the better demos.

• EBS Microbass II is definitely worth a whirl. Love mine.

http://www.ebssweden.com/content/images/products/microbassII_front.png
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    The bass attack is really good. Built like a tank, decent features, inexpensive,sounds good.

I didn't like my sansamp - no mids control was a pain.
  • I all sorted now, I bought two very different ones ( used ) an Eden WTDI and a Dave Hall Amps Valve pre amp/EQ/DI pedal. Thanks for all you input chaps,it's much appreciated : - )
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Glad to hear it, and two great choices too. The DHA stuff is ace!