Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    sweepy;1081070" said:
    What input impedance have you set with the Helix and have you enabled the guitar input pad.?
    Auto and no. But I'm using fairly low output sc so figured a pad is not required.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I'd use the pad tbh, even with single coils it can overdrive the input
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    This has made me wonder about the Helix's abilities as a special fx unit. With two more expression pedals and various parameters assigned to them and the footswitches, you could build patches of awesome bizarreness. :)
    Especially if one of the expression pedals is a Source Audio Reflex.

To be fair you can build some pretty weird stuff without any external controllers, but they do help...
    I need more info on the Reflex. It sends MIDI? Wow. Anyone with any gen on how it works with the Helix?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    It works very well with the Helix.

I have MIDI going from the Helix to the Reflex so that patches switch together, then one expression out and MIDI out going back to the Helix. Set the tapers and/or LFOs on the Reflex then use the controller assign to have it control any parameter you like. That also means you can use LFOs to control stuff that the Helix doesn't. Reverb depth is funny.

What doesn't work is the synchronisation, because the Helix doesn't (yet) send MIDI clock.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Looks like an interesting exp pedal but I'm not sure what it would give me over the usual exp pedal?
    LFOs!

Which means you can LFO control any parameter in the Helix.

Also different tapers. But mostly the LFOs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Any examples Sporks?
    Had a bit of a headphone break through last night.

Using the main 1/4 Jack outs into my zoom r24, then using that as audio interface.
    Sounds loads better than using Helix over USB with Helix headphone outs.
    Also my very old M30's sound heaps better than my New M50's but only with Helix.

Also discovered that if I record something that way, but playback over helix USB(phones, the audio output  is massively louder.

Still, I'm now getting usable sounds that feel quite nice. So at least I can now make use of the conveniences that helix provides.
    sweepy said:
    I'd use the pad tbh, even with single coils it can overdrive the input
    Really? That's sucks - I was assuming that the Helix input would cope with passive guitar signals just fine. I can't hear any input overloading, but will try adding a pad to see if it helps. 

I suspect though that there are two things going on - My M50's don't suit helix and I'm not digging the helix gain modeling.

Once my Two notes torpedo arrives and I'm putting a real amp through it, I'll see if helix is going to work for me or not.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23960
    I'm only using the input pad with my mental output EMG loaded Stingray.

I'm not using it with anything else - even with the silly Dimarzio Tone Zone in my Caparison (that pickup has to go. Overly compressed pile of arse).

So I'm surprised that anyone is using the pad with single coils!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    Any examples Sporks?
    I could make some!
    I'm only using the input pad with my mental output EMG loaded Stingray.

I'm not using it with anything else - even with the silly Dimarzio Tone Zone in my Caparison (that pickup has to go. Overly compressed pile of arse).

So I'm surprised that anyone is using the pad with single coils!
    I'm not either and I'm jumping from Filtertrons to N4s
    Sporky said:
    Cabicular said:
    Any examples Sporks?
    I could make some!
    That would be interesting! :)
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    I just wanted to say.....

MY HELIX ARRIVES TOMOOOORRRROOOOOWWWW!!!!!! :D :D :D
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    @johnonguitar - keep us posted mate, and let us know your thoughts !
    Wazmeister;1084561" said:
    @johnonguitar - keep us posted mate, and let us know your thoughts !
    It's like Christmas, I'll no sleep the night!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2016
    Ok so it was delivered at 10am and here's my first impressions....

The box is awesome. It reminds me of getting a new video games console when I was younger and it felt like you were getting something from NASA but more advanced

The unit itself is very impressive. It makes my old G-System look like a Nokia brick, whereas the Helix is an iPhone. This however also is making me rethink using the Helix gig bag and sticking the unit on the floor. Maybe I should get a board made after all. I'll need to have a think about that one. Not that it isn't sturdy.... I just couldn't imagine dropping it or something dropping on it. The G-System was practically indestructible.

I plugged it in and updated the firmware before I played a note. The Line 6 website could be a little clearer to be honest.

I never read the manual. I feel that in two hours I already know just about everything I need to anyway- it really is THAT intuitive. I remember having to read all 3 billion pages of Laird William White Paper on the Gsys just to set my gain levels right.

I plugged it into my MacBook and out through a Focusrite DSP to some KRK Rockit 5's and quickly tried a few presets. They were OK. The Helix definitely has its own sound no matter which patch you're on.

I tinkered with a clean fender sound and a mid gain plexi sound but couldn't settle.

The matchless sounds very nice for the short time I spent on it

So, I begin building a patch from scratch. Both clean fender and dirty Marshall. I still couldn't settle on my basic sound... Which is very basic! Too many artificts in the distortion.

I switched to dual cabs. This is a massive improvement. Really is... but still wasnt quite settled.

I downloaded Ownhammers Fender Deluxe ir, used the first one in the pack (57 up against the grill) and well... Put it this way I stopped tinkering with the amp at that point and just played. And enjoyed. And the more I played the better it sounded

I think says it all.

My next port of call was the drive pedals....

I'm getting the feeling already that the tube screamer isn't going to cut it for me. I haven't tried it into my amp 4cm yet and that's what its primary function will be but it already sounds nothing like what I think a TS should sound like.

I've spent time on the Timmy and the Klon both of which add back in more weird artificts with even a hint of gain.

Hmmmmm... I'll keep trying but there isn't really much to tweak on them!

I'll try them through my amp this afternoon, if they are passable then I'll forgive them... If not we might have another reason for boarding the Helix

anyway, I'll check back later!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23960
    Sporky said:
    Cabicular said:
    Any examples Sporks?
    I could make some!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Johnonguitar interesting first opinion and I would echo a lot of that...

Teetonetal;1085238" said:
    @Johnonguitar interesting first opinion and I would echo a lot of that...
    Like I've said before in here- I HAVE to get on with this unit because I'm stuck with it for a couple of years no matter what happens. So I'm not going in with a biased view or looking to not get along or nitpick, just looking to make it do what I need it to and do it quickly
    Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?