Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Cabicular;1111349" said:
    get a pedal snake and run the power at the amp end :)think there is room for a wah if I have a slimmer EXP pedal

It would fit with pancake jacks if you sat the boss flush to the helix. It's got such a large footprint it doesn't really matter if you do.

How about those pedal snakes btw? Doesn't running 4cm beside the power cause hum?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    Not if it's DC power.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    not in my experience
    I run 4 cables to and from the helix (I've introduced a Gmajor into the rack) and power from the rack
    With the M13 I ran two seperate powerlines. 1 for pedals and 1 for the M13
    no issues
    Expensive ... but makes set up easier
    Cabicular;1111440" said:
    not in my experienceI run 4 cables to and from the helix (I've introduced a Gmajor into the rack) and power from the rackWith the M13 I ran two seperate powerlines. 1 for pedals and 1 for the M13no issuesExpensive ... but makes set up easier
    What you using the G for? Reverbs and harmoniser?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    some of you guys are gonna end up running all your old system (rack/pedals) AND the Helix...whats the Helix gonna be left to actually do ? Just wondering like.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    johnonguitar;1111499" said:
    [quote="Cabicular;1111440"]not in my experienceI run 4 cables to and from the helix (I've introduced a Gmajor into the rack) and power from the rackWith the M13 I ran two seperate powerlines. 1 for pedals and 1 for the M13no issuesExpensive ... but makes set up easier
    What you using the G for? Reverbs and harmoniser?
    [/quote]
    Reverbs and delays
    The TC ones are exceptional and I can patch switch it via midi
    Another advantage of the pedal snake is it gives you a straight midi cable if you don't connect a tail
    It also takes a bit of pressure off the Helix allowing me to sneak an extra amp model in
    edited June 2016
    siraxeman;1111561" said:
    some of you guys are gonna end up running all your old system (rack/pedals) AND the Helix...whats the Helix gonna be left to actually do ? Just wondering like.....
    I bought mine as a kind of G System style controller plus multi fx that would have the added benefit of being able to go direct if I really couldn't use my amp (I had been using a fly rig based pedalboard) or to record direct using pretty much the same effects and sounds that I use live so that I could basically consolidate everything

It's worth bearing in mind I'm running a stereo rig with a lot of fx options
    Also I'm running the variax with an acoustic IR for 12 string acoustic
    There is a lot going on
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    What are the various Variax guitars like? 

I'm more interested in the tech than the need for another guitar. I am curious.
    Half-way tempted to scour ebay.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2399
    I've finally got it!! :)

Just updated it and wired it up in 4CM. Already some questions arise...

1. I'm using a Relay G70 to go itno it - what should the Guitar Impedance be? Auto?

2. For the Send and Return blocks, should the Send be set to anything specific (I've seen mention of -3db) and should the Retrun and Mix be altered? Or rather, how can I tell if they should be?

Thanks!
    FarleyUK;1111729" said:

1. I'm using a Relay G70 to go itno it - what should the Guitar Impedance be? Auto?

2. For the Send and Return blocks, should the Send be set to anything specific (I've seen mention of -3db) and should the Retrun and Mix be altered? Or rather, how can I tell if they should be?

Thanks!
    Set the input impedance to auto and you'll be fine. Your signals already buffered anyway so doesn't matter so much.

The only real reason to start messing with be gains is if you're experiencing a loss of highs from your direct sound?

Ps. First person to say "tone suck" gets perma-banned
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I hate that phrase
    It never used to be an issue then all of a sudden people started getting all pissy

I would leave the send and returns as they are unless you have a specific reason to change them

Always trust your ears
    What are the various Variax guitars like? 

I'm more interested in the tech than the need for another guitar. I am curious.
    Half-way tempted to scour ebay.
    I have the JTM 69 model
    Its a decent enough guitar.. doesn't set my world on fire but very playable
    However with the variax cable into the Helix I'm able to have a preset in drop D and then with a press of a button switch between the Variax and the Mags. (for example I use it for wanted dead or alive)
    The downside is that the tuning and models are stored per preset as opposed to being alterable on the fly but it suits my needs 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    FarleyUK;1111729" said:

Thanks!
    I have my external reverb and delay set to 100% wet then use the mix parameter on helix loop to adjust.
    edited June 2016
    Hmmm, I've noticed that having the delay, reverb and phaser after the return block - as opposed to in the 'send / return' section - makes them sound a lot better. In fact, adding any FX to the send / return section doesn't have a lot of impact!

And how can I assign wah to EXP1 and Volume to EXP2? Have them as selectable footswitches, but would rather have them as controlled and selected via expression switch.

EDIT: Also, been using Command Center to send a MIDI CC change to my amp - however, I need to send more than one CC change request on a single button press - is this possible? (FYI, it's to change to Master Volume 2, FX Loop on, Gate on and Channel change to OD2 RED. Know I can do it with a preset, but I'd rather find another way!).
    FarleyUK said:
    Hmmm, I've noticed that having the delay, reverb and phaser after the return block - as opposed to in the 'send / return' section - makes them sound a lot better. In fact, adding any FX to the send / return section doesn't have a lot of impact!

And how can I assign wah to EXP1 and Volume to EXP2? Have them as selectable footswitches, but would rather have them as controlled and selected via expression switch.

EDIT: Also, been using Command Center to send a MIDI CC change to my amp - however, I need to send more than one CC change request on a single button press - is this possible? (FYI, it's to change to Master Volume 2, FX Loop on, Gate on and Channel change to OD2 RED. Know I can do it with a preset, but I'd rather find another way!).
    Not sure what you mean? Send and return is for external fx plugged into one of the 4 loops?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:

Not sure what you mean? Send and return is for external fx plugged into one of the 4 loops?
    Followed this guide: 

How have you got it set up, out of interest?
    edited June 2016
    Ah got you, didn't twig you were using 4cm.
    Makes more sense now :)

I haven't tried it that way yet. I have stuck my real amp in a loop via a reactive load though. Worked well.. kind of the opposite approach.

Have you got a level select switch on your fx loop? That would have an impact. Might also depend where your amp has the fx loop placed. I know not all loops are equal and this can screw up 4cm..
    Yep, that seems fine now ta - I didn't realise all the blocks after the return block are actually the FX loop :)

However, I've noticed what I think is clipping - especially when hitting the bottom E and A strings. Kind of like a 'quack', sounds like the clipping on the GT100 I used previously. What's the best way to eliminate this?

Should I alter the return and send values? Or the path send?
    Where do you have the big knob set? Fnarrr
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom