What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I know .. It's just such a hassle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh I forgot about my Gibson Goldtone 30 RV
    That's a good idea
    It has stereo returns so as an all in one valve stereo amp combo for the Helix that might be the very dab!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Sporky said:
    siraxeman said:
    But for me personally live - I am already fully away no modeller is gonna beat my amp and pedal board...and you all know I'm right to don't ya ? ;)
    I think you're right for you.

For me the Helix is proving much "better" than the amps-and-pedals setup I had before.
    I think if you just play at home (do you gig ? ) then absolutely! I still want a Helix and see one being my ownership at some point down the line...for me it will be mostly for home fun and recording as of course we all know devices like this are so easy to get a good sound down without any real volume..dead handy for home recording. Real amps like a bit of volume to get 'em going a bit and they often sound much less good in the home environment. That's my experience anyway. For home players personally I'd say better to stay away from valves as its much more faff to get them to sound their best in the low volume world. IMHO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Helix gives you the best of both worlds in that respect
    At home I have a couple of different EQ blocks that pull a lot of the midrange out that I use live
    It does mean a lot of patch maintenance (I have one base patch that I have 6 variants of) but it just means editing the block on my template patch and then copying the block to the rest of them
    I prefer to keep the global eq free so if I have to do something at a venue I can quickly do it across all patches simultaneously
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4129
    Incidentally, the Matchless Ch1 model with no cab/IR into the front end of a Cornell Romany sounded monstrous. I need that sound in a stompbox now!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    siraxeman said:
    I think if you just play at home (do you gig ? ) then absolutely! I still want a Helix and see one being my ownership at some point down the line...for me it will be mostly for home fun and recording as of course we all know devices like this are so easy to get a good sound down without any real volume..dead handy for home recording. Real amps like a bit of volume to get 'em going a bit and they often sound much less good in the home environment. That's my experience anyway. For home players personally I'd say better to stay away from valves as its much more faff to get them to sound their best in the low volume world. IMHO
    My last gig was over 20 years ago, so yes, home use. And some recording.

If I was playing live I think I'd manage with a wah, a delay and a decent sounding amp.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    Cabicular;1135760" said:
    And when I say amps I mean Amps with a capital A
    Give you an example of what gets left behind when I take the Helix out
    Friedman BE100
    Matchless DC 30
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
    DR Z Maz 38 anniversary
    Mesa Boogie MKIV
    Fender Twin
    Blackstar Artisan 30 and 15
    Budda Superdrive (pre peavy)
    Two rock studio 35, Jet 22 and Gainmaster 22

So I'm not just someone who doesn't know what a good amp sounds like ..

You need to get a grip :') isn't there some form of support group for whatever it is you're suffering from?! :D
    As long as it comes with lots of storage
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Yeah I offer you my support group. Comes with lots of storage and everything. Just send me your address and I shall send the van to collect it and put it into careful storage for you.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    johnonguitar;1135827" said:
    [quote="Cabicular;1135760"]And when I say amps I mean Amps with a capital A
    Friedman BE100
    Matchless DC 30
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
    DR Z Maz 38 anniversary
    Mesa Boogie MKIV
    Fender Twin

You need to get a grip :') isn't there some form of support group for whatever it is you're suffering from?! :D
    [/quote]

Could Mark and me be any different :)
    Cabicular;1135863" said:
    [quote="johnonguitar;1135827"][quote="Cabicular;1135760"]And when I say amps I mean Amps with a capital A
    Friedman BE100
    Matchless DC 30
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30
    DR Z Maz 38 anniversary
    Mesa Boogie MKIV
    Fender Twin

[/quote]

Could Mark and me be any different :)[/quote]

He even restringed that bass yet? :')
    Not to my knowledge
    Still using that shitty H&H amp too
    He's the only person ever to get a decent noise out of it but I still DI him through the PA
    I've also made him buy a pedal board ... You should see his coupon .. He's hating it :)
  • sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 723
    If I'm using my fx8 and I'm thinking about going for a helix just for the effects and drives, worth doing?
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4129
    Only if you plan on replacing the fx8 with it? I can't speak for the FX8's interface but the Helix's is great, and personally I think the effect tones are about as good as the originals too (drives in prticular).

That said, you've probably got more models available via the FX8, so...?
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I've had both and I think the fx8 sounds better. V tempted by an ax8 though sticking with Helix for the moment. My quick summary:

1. FX8 fx are better, particularly the reverbs and delays. Not much to choose with the drives.
    2. Helix interface is much nicer.
    3. Helix more versatile (amps, recording etc)
    4. Helix prob a bit easier to use external pedals with.
    5. More concurrent fx with helix.
    6. Scenes better on fx8 (none really on helix though you can do multiple things with one switch).
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    Found a slight issue with my Helix over the weekend...

I'm in 2 bands and have 2 setlists - one for each band. In the first bank on setlist 1, I have programmed the patches to initiate midi changes on the amp - these are different to the midi changes in the first bank on the 2nd setlist.

However, it appears that the Helix doesn't remember the midi messages when you switch between setlists - I have to re-program it each time.

Anyone else encountered this?
    Cabicular;1136405" said:
    Not to my knowledge
    Still using that shitty H&H amp too
    He's the only person ever to get a decent noise out of it but I still DI him through the PA
    I've also made him buy a pedal board ... You should see his coupon .. He's hating it :)
    Is that still working?! Can't believe he has a pedalboard, fucking sell out
    FarleyUK;1137486" said:
    Found a slight issue with my Helix over the weekend...

I'm in 2 bands and have 2 setlists - one for each band. In the first bank on setlist 1, I have programmed the patches to initiate midi changes on the amp - these are different to the midi changes in the first bank on the 2nd setlist.

However, it appears that the Helix doesn't remember the midi messages when you switch between setlists - I have to re-program it each time.

Anyone else encountered this?
    Sorry dude, haven't used the midi out on it yet
    So I was reading today that actually the fuzz pedals need the correct type of impedance to make them work correctly? As in you need them at the start of your chain as in real life, with the correct input impedance set. Or if set to auto it will change when you bring block one in or out.

That's nuts!!! Surely one of the points of having digital stuff is to get away from the crap bits of having iffy fuzz pedals dictating pedal line up?!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    So I was reading today that actually the fuzz pedals need the correct type of impedance to make them work correctly? As in you need them at the start of your chain as in real life, with the correct input impedance set. Or if set to auto it will change when you bring block one in or out.

That's nuts!!! Surely one of the points of having digital stuff is to get away from the crap bits of having iffy fuzz pedals dictating pedal line up?!
    Realism gone mad. I agree, it's nuts. There is no need for this (if true) I think it's actually something that's really holding modelling back, the big boys are trying to recreate real gear to the minutest detail, really they should use their ears more and create better "inspired by" products. But the marketing of modelling seems to be disappearing down a realism rabbit hole. 

I want stuff that sounds good, is usable with dynamic response to players style and guitars, but also takes the annoyance away.