Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I fortunately got near as dammit what I paid for my Helix when I moved it on, thankfully I got it at Trade plus a few pints ;). I have the Axe-Fx now, but I still fancy a Helix rack as well, certifiable ? possibly ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheap digital gear always has the same problem - it's built down to a cost from the very beginning, so it'll be lacking in both features and A/D quality. While newer technologies come down in price, there's an awful lot in those things which has already sunk as low as it will go; MIDI interfaces, for example, are about as cheap as they're ever going to be, yet still it's the first thing to go in the bin when the accounts department gets involved in product design. Effect loops, too; even cheaper than implementing MIDI, and the designs for them are even more ubiquitous, yet so many digital units don't have them.

They'll cheap-out on the power supply and A/D converters, so the noise floor is always going to be higher than it should be. Even down to the sockets and switches - lower-quality wins in the < £300 market.

I very much doubt that any fully-digital gear running your entire rig will ever be tour-worthy at under £600-ish.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    No idea, that's the problem! I haven't changed anything except for the firmware update but I did that when it came out, not recently. I've got awful digital clipping whenever I play it now. Just done a test today and I'm getting nasty clipping on clean tones as well. Sounds like this but worse - 

http://line6.com/support/topic/20355-nasty-digital-distortion-with-some-amps/

It's a tad worse with high output pickups but it's there whatever.

Any progress with this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Currently in for repair with Line 6. Should be back later this week, early next week, we'll see what they say. I did have the opportunity to try my patches with another Helix and it was fine so I'm assuming there is a fault somewhere.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    I had the return of some nasty digital noise on my Helix after replacing my pickups (Suhr Aldrich set in my Les Paul. Awesome pups, BTW).

The only thing that seemed to correct it was starting a new patch from scratch (I'm going 4cm).
    edited October 2016
    There's a new video up on YouTube, Richie Castellano, Blue Oyster Cult's guitarist who's started using the Helix.  It's the best sounding demo I've heard so far.  Just shows that in the hands of a pro the Helix can create some fantastic sounds

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    John_A said:
    There's a new video up on YouTube, Richie Castellano, Blue Oyster Cult's guitarist who's started using the Helix.  It's the best sounding demo I've heard so far.  Just shows that in the hands of a pro the Helix can create some fantastic sounds

and this is 3 days after him having one.....
    certainly helps that he's shit hot, but it sounds amazing!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    welshboyo said:
    John_A said:

and this is 3 days after him having one.....

It sounds great. He is a monster player.
  • I want that H/S Stingray.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Not only has my rotary knob (giggidy) stopped working when being rotated..... but it now doesn't work when you press down on it. So that means I have no way of adding or editing blocks....

Thankfully it's going back to Andertons, but I've got a gig on the 22nd so will wait until after then!
  • It seems quite concerning how many comments I've seen with rotary knobs failing.

Thankfully line 6 have always been exemplary in getting them sorted in all the threads I've seen.

(I'm sure the number of failures is minimal considering how many units have sold but it's still a concern when you put all you eggs in one basket as you have to with helix)
    there have been some scribble strip failures and some button failures too and my mic input failed
    but without stats it's hard to say how reliable they are
  • I suppose issues are ok if they're fixed properly and promptly. I read that line 6 went on record on another forum saying that they will fix any known issues (scribble strips, rotary failure) even outside warranty.
    If they stand by that it's pretty decent and quite important in my opinion. I sold my entire pedalboard to put my trust in helix alone.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Richie Castellano vid is great. I really like the functionality of the Helix but the amps still sound digital to me which is why I never got on with the POD HD500X , although I did use it as a stomp box in 4CM.
    Now I have the FX8 as I only want effects but with all the added features - it's not that dissimilar in the tricks they both have up their sleeve - I think everything in this vid that he talked about In can do on the FX8 but the Helix does look cool with all the bright colours and having the EXP pedal built in is a bonus!
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Epic by the end @Drew_TNBD Great vid - was that just looped and then you added all the effects and changed parameters as it played?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Vaiai said:
    Epic by the end @Drew_TNBD Great vid - was that just looped and then you added all the effects and changed parameters as it played?

Yep, that's basically the size of it!
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    Just bought the Helix rack & Controller today, Having lotsa fun :)
    Goodbye Roadster I think
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom