Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• Awaiting B7K clips and comparisons
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Waaaah, I need to do some upgrades on my new (old) computer before it can support helix editor and stuff :( 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    Yay MIDI clock!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23960
    B7K model is banging!

The Pearce is wonderful too 
  • Is there a decent analog octave in the Helix, and does it track well on bass? My reference point is the MXR BOD
    After a catastrophic moment of stupidity I saved a blank patch set over the top of my back up.
    My previous version is very old and is basically useless now.

After a lot of laughter from the wife I am now starting from scratch.

This has caused the birth of something wonderful.

Pearce BC1 jumped on one path, B7K pummelling a Mesa 400 on the other. Plenty of low, plenty of highs and massive mid grind.

Its like the bastard son of Nolly and Billy Sheehan. 

I've done a sex wee.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    ohhh - no time to do this until sunday!! Very excited with this one - hoping the bass capacity is massively improved.
    Amateur! ;)

Updated last night!

ohhh - no time to do this until sunday!! Very excited with this one - hoping the bass capacity is massively improved.
    It is.

im only 1 pedal away from not needing any outboard gear. Just the Digitech Bass Synth Wah.
    @digital_igloo you have really done a fantastic job on the bass stuff.

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    So what's this?

• Pitch/Synth > 3 Note Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    • Pitch/Synth > 4 OSC Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original

NOTE: As 3 Note Generator and 4 OSC Generator make sound without any instrument connected, their blocks are turned off by default. Press BYPASS to turn them on.

Achieving this without a synth?

From http://line6.com/support/topic/20088-using-helix-to-control-a-synth/

A little clip I put together today just as kind of a proof of concept. I've been wanting to try this for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it. I assigned MIDI note values to a few of the Helix's footswitches and used them to control a patch on the Minilogue as pad in the background. Nothing special about the guitar playing. So I recorded the synth and guitar simultaneously into Reaper (4 tracks in total). The synth is being controlled by and recorded through the Helix.

https://soundcloud.c...minilogue-helix

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Nice clip^^

I'm so tempted to go this route with each update.  The only thing stopping me are lack of dual loops on the looper, lack of a POG replacement and the desire for some big ambient verbs.  I've got £200 in the kitty, but reluctant to part with it while I decide.

I'm conscious in focusing on the few things the Helix can't do, I'm missing out on the millions it can.

I'd be keeping my amp and use it for FX only or recording, possibly the odd amp free jam at the studio.

I've still got 2 bass heads. No guitar amps though. I use one of the bass amps just as a power amp for guitar use.

If I'm just going for a jam or to play with my kids' music trust orchestra I'm not taking a rack full of goodies with me to play double bass or piano parts. Bass, tuner, amp is plenty for that.

Although I have to say, now I'm wondering if I need a Helix floor unit as well, with a powered cab.

Just because! :D

• So Drew sent me a clip last night of his B7KU vs the Helix model, while they weren't quite dialed in to match (the model seemed to have less gain dialed in) the general tone and character was there which is very cool.

I stuck my email in the notify me box on the Helix Native plugin page.  I'm hoping it isn't too far off as I'd like to demo it for use with bass guitar, it would make life a lot easier to be able to split a tone multiple ways in Logic with easy recall between songs.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    L6 have said "Spring" for Native.

What year that is has not been disclosed! :D
    I need to get the update done this weekend and see what I can do with the Reflex and Helix now they can be synchronised with MIDI clock...  maybe controlling a filter sweep and tremolo tap division at the same time. That should be nice and wobbly.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    So what's this?

• Pitch/Synth > 3 Note Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
    • Pitch/Synth > 4 OSC Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original

NOTE: As 3 Note Generator and 4 OSC Generator make sound without any instrument connected, their blocks are turned off by default. Press BYPASS to turn them on.

Achieving this without a synth?

From http://line6.com/support/topic/20088-using-helix-to-control-a-synth/

A little clip I put together today just as kind of a proof of concept. I've been wanting to try this for awhile, but haven't gotten around to it. I assigned MIDI note values to a few of the Helix's footswitches and used them to control a patch on the Minilogue as pad in the background. Nothing special about the guitar playing. So I recorded the synth and guitar simultaneously into Reaper (4 tracks in total). The synth is being controlled by and recorded through the Helix.

https://soundcloud.c...minilogue-helix

It is, in use here

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    ^that is impressive - looking forward to trying that out a lot...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Note to self : rename IRs suitably before next upgrade... dragging files in to slots from old screenshots is dull lol 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Only had a quick play last night but there are some excellent possibilities - using one of the Reflex's LFOs, locked to the Helix clock, to switch between clock divisions means you can make some interesting pattern tremolos. Adding in filter control with the Reflex's expression pedal gets into Boss Slicer territory, but without being restricted to their patterns. Nice.