Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    By the way, what a good demo that was. Whether you like the gear or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelg;763497" said:
    Deijavoo said:

Snap on the Twin fartyness.

Yeah, but also surprisingly thin sounding. Disappointed in the clean tones. Need to do better in that department to interest me. SRV SSS model along with a Super Reverb and count me mildy interested again.

Thats the thing with these modelling gizmos. Do crunch, metal, and hi-gain distortion quite well but fail on the clean dynamics and EQ.
    A little thin, but not flat to my ears - and twins do fart out at high volume, especially on higher output pickups and hard hit strings.

Line 6 said they've modelled to a fault - I liked the clean tones. I reckon if you just added a sho or a spark boost you'd add that extra something to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Drew_fx said:
    From what I recall.. Twins do sound farty, especially when you're using the neck pickup on higher volume settings.

I've never actually played through a Twin at any volume - I'm surprised at this, based on my experience with Fender amps further down the food chain I'd expect a Twins low end to be deeper than the deep blue sea itself.

Either way, the sound of the Twin in that clip wasn't good to my ears, there are some great sounds there, but not that one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude;763636" said:

Drew_fx said:

From what I recall.. Twins do sound farty, especially when you're using the neck pickup on higher volume settings.

I've never actually played through a Twin at any volume - I'm surprised at this, based on my experience with Fender amps further down the food chain I'd expect a Twins low end to be deeper than the deep blue sea itself.Either way, the sound of the Twin in that clip wasn't good to my ears, there are some great sounds there, but not that one.
    If you listen to alter bridge live, the clean bits are always two twins in stereo. You can occasionally hear a bit of flabbiness.

They're not an amazingly tight amp, though, just huge deep bass and clear treble. I bet it's among the harder amps to emulate though...
  • Pretty impressive if they have in fact modelled the Twin fartiness!

Would be good to hear a clip of the Twin model on a clean setting. But the /13 patch was so good, I'm sure they've got this covered.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    mellowsun said:
    Pretty impressive if they have in fact modelled the Twin fartiness!

Would be good to hear a clip of the Twin model on a clean setting. But the /13 patch was so good, I'm sure they've got this covered.

Not many people would actually be able to play a Twin loud enough to make it fart out. They are horribly loud. So it would have been better to demo it with settings that mere mortals would recognise.
  • @hywelg - I've got to admit, I heard that Twin 'fartiness' and I thought that I'd never personally heard one like that...
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I've played my twin (65 ri)  at some pretty loud volumes and it's never sounded like that.     Could be a different version they modelled of course - there are quite a few variations on the twin. 
    @hywelg - I've got to admit, I heard that Twin 'fartiness' and I thought that I'd never personally heard one like that...
    If you had you'd be deaf now.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Try this:

Not 100% the same, but on some of the lower notes you can hear it quite clearly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd imagine if you turn down the virtual master volume it'd be less flubby?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    And this one:

I'm not hearing much flub on the Super unlike the Deluxe which is only 20w and 6v6's Not many people would actually use a Super Reverb on 10. They sound best when just into breakup 5-7.

This was what I was hoping to hear in the Helix. But not a quite that volume ( I do know how loud that is and its earplug time!)

• hywelg;764241" said:
    This was what I was hoping to hear in the Helix. But not a quite that volume ( I do know how loud that is and its earplug time!)

Maybe it's my ears but that seems a bit fizzy sounding!

Just goes to show, one man's taste and all that.
    hywelg;764241" said:

Maybe it's my ears but that seems a bit fizzy sounding!

Just goes to show, one man's taste and all that.
    Not hearing 'fizz', if anything I'm hearing it a bit wooly/bassy (and the bass is fully off, its an early one before Dr Z changed the bass pot), I would probably have the treble up a bit more. Breakup yes, he has got the Pre on 7. I am also hearing some fret noise (1:35ish), too low an action for SRV style playing, probably too small gauge strings too.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    I'm getting tobacco, cherries, oak and leather with a distinct after taste of tarmac...

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's always difficult this. You could spend days, nay weeks dialling in sounds and not get quite the right one that someone is specifically looking for. A lot is also down to taste. I'm 100% certain the tone you're looking for will be in here. Just a case of dialling it in. 

FYI, the new THR NAILS that tone easy peasy like. It's looking more possible that I will get over to the amp day in Nottm. Might not be for long but should be able to make it. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• I'm already ten minutes into this vid. So much better than the Andertons one. I know he works for Line6, but still the audio quality is far superior. Have to admit I am interested..
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.