Lennons LP jnr sound?

Does anyone know how what equipment john lennon was using alongside his modded LP junior in the early '70's - about the time he released cold turkey etc?
His sound seemed to be a lot thinner at that point - would it be due to the charlie christian pickup he had fitted?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Can't see that the CC at the neck would have given him a thin sound. From what I read the Jr coincided with him discovering light strings so that might be it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    AAIFK he pretty much always used Fender amps, if that's any help. And yes, the thinner strings would have come in around then.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Hmm..wonder what tracks the CC pickup was used on then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    edited October 2013
    Can't see that the CC at the neck would have given him a thin sound.
    It would if it was out of phase with the P90...

I have no idea if they are or not, but given the way things tended to be done back then it wouldn't surprise me. There was very little technical knowledge about this sort of thing. (eg Peter Green's Les Paul.) Bear in mind that with two very different pickups like these, if they are out of phase they don't necessarily sound as out-of-phase as you might expect, so it might not have that characteristic sound, it would just sound a bit thinner.

Thin strings do give a thinner sound (in my opinion) but not *that* much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein