If you could design your own amp..

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
edited October 2013 in Amps
..what would it be?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26966
    AC30 with a proper master volume, switchable to 15W and weighed sub-20kg. I can but dream..
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Mesa Trem-o-verb.

I'd like it to weigh half as much, but not if it affected the tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It'd be a stack of JVM+5150+Dual Recto preamps in a box, going into a decent solid-state poweramp for lightweight portability. I'm talking each of the clean, crunch, overdrive variants with all the trimmings, an FX loop for each, and the Satriani amps noise-gate. I'd basically never need another amp again.
  • Four channel head. Independent EQ for each channel. Plus a decent boost.

It would run on a set of EL84 and a set of EL34/6L6 valves - allowing you to select between different power-amp characteristics. This would be self biasing. Ability to set different power amps per channel - so the bluesy channel might use EL84 and the lead kick in some EL34 roar.

There would be a set of inputs and outputs specifically designed to enable an optimised four cable setup with FX units. This would be able to calibrate itself to ensure optimum signal level. There would be appropriate ground lifts and noise reduction elements within the signal chain.

Built in wireless as an option. Built in tuner. Wifi and digital control via apps/software. The signal path would be analog, but it would be full of great tech enabling the user to recall sounds, settings etc. - via midi and other software. 

---

After typing this what I've described isn't a million miles away from a Blackstar ID Series is it? I just need to let go of the valves. Heck I suppose what I want a fabulous modelling amp head (these things exist already) with a brilliant control software (these sadly do not). I think I am working towards is that perhaps the old design of amps - copied even in the latest digital versions - doesn't have to be the way amps are controlled now. Even the ID series looks like a traditional amp head. Why not have a touch screen (not a fucking ipad/ipod dock though), and a rechargeable footswitch that works over wifi so no cable needed. Why not add wireless for the guitar. Heck why not a wireless FX loop too.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    AC30 with a proper master volume, switchable to 15W and weighed sub-20kg. I can but dream..
    Isn't that a Hayseed 30?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Si_ said:
    ..what would it be?
    Deluxe Reverb channel, Marshall/Vox channel. A Carr Slant in other words

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited October 2013
    Basically something that sounds exactly like a vintage Fender on the clean channel (with a switch to go between 100% authentic blackface and tweed voicings), has an ac30 (100% authentic) cleanish/light crunch channel, a plexi (100% authentic) crunch channel, a hot-rodded jcm 800 (100% authentic) heavy crunch channel (or maybe the plexi channel could have a switch to go to the hot-rodded 800 voicing), and two high gain channels- one recto (100% authentic), one soldano (100% authentic).

I'm well aware that's basically impossible. :)) Aside from anything else, you'd need a shedload of different speaker types to really make the thing sound right, not to mention actually designing an amp which would do all of that is basically impossible unless you bunged like 6 entire amps together, which is going to be totally impractical :))
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited October 2013
    It'd be a 1X12 cab with a built-in solid-state/Class D power amp and XLR direct out, to be used with modellers. :)

• Mine would be the (as yet un-made) Jet City JCA50H FLEX. Basically, fully MIDI-controlled preamp (parameters and switching) with all three Soldano channels (Lucky 13 clean, SLO crunch and overdrive), with the effects loop after the master volumes (like the JCA22H, as opposed to the other JC amps where it's before the tone stack).

The only mods I'd make to the stock one - should it ever see the light of day - would be to drop the loop level down to instrument-level, and maybe EL34-ify it.
    <space for hire>
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    how about a DC30 tray, removed from the cab then?
  • A 30w 1x12 Tweed deluxe with reverb and tremolo. 
  • £100, hand wired in UK, amp that sounds like the noises I have in my head.

Failing that, a nice head that has deep, shimmery cleans and nice, high gain, heavy-as-balls channel that can be blended with the clean channel with a second footswitch.  Said amp will have built in delay, stereo chorus and noise gate in exactly the right places in the signal chain.  Don't care if it's solid state or valve.  It will come with a 4x12 that can be split into two 2x12 cabs for stereo use. And it will sound the balls.
  • A four channel valve head along the lines of Fender/Vox/Marshall/Mesa. Independent EQ, boost & reverb for each channel. Fx loop & some sort of power scaling so it's perfectly usable at quiet home volumes as it is at gigs.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Dave_Mc said:
    Basically something that sounds exactly like a vintage Fender on the clean channel (with a switch to go between 100% authentic blackface and tweed voicings), has an ac30 (100% authentic) cleanish/light crunch channel, a plexi (100% authentic) crunch channel, a hot-rodded jcm 800 (100% authentic) heavy crunch channel (or maybe the plexi channel could have a switch to go to the hot-rodded 800 voicing), and two high gain channels- one recto (100% authentic), one soldano (100% authentic).

Perfect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Dave_Mc said:
    You've just described any modelling amp.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    It would be a 50 Watt valve amp with reverb [switches for half power, 2 Watt and ½ Watt], switchable solid state/valve rectifier, built in Power soak and be lightweight.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited October 2013
    I'd find away of merging my two existing amps that I've been happy with for a long time, keeping the look and build quality of my decatone but scrap the clean channel for my superlead marshall. That way I'd have awesome soldano crunch and overdrive channels then the creamy hendrix tone with the guitar backed off then full on for that classic rock tone.  
    wtf is this smiley for btw?
    :o3
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited October 2013
    Deijavoo said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Perfect.
    :)

Forgot about powerscaling, though- guitarcookie1's post reminded me. Might as well bung that in too. And reverb. Hey, if it's going to be impractical, it might as well be totally impractical :))
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    You've just described any modelling amp.

;)
    LOL

To be honest I can get by with something that has one good sound (assuming that one sound is suitable). Just if we're playing perfect amps, might as well have it all :D
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited October 2013
    I did spec my own amp and had it built as no one made what I wanted in one amp. I asked Martin at MJW to build me a 60 watt amp with the SLO lead channel, Fender Blackface clean channel, effects loop, power scaling and the Warren Haynes mod in Blonde Tolex and rack mounted side handles. It's the nicest sounding amp I've owned by far and I saved over half the price of a real SLO!
    :\">
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    That's what I'm looking to do.. 

I'm thinking of a JMP 2204 channel 1, Friedman Brown Eye Channel 2, Valve FX Loop, foot switchable boost on both channels. Probably 50w with a low watt setting..