Landlord inspection...

What's Hot
holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
The letting agency want to do one soon. The rabbits have caused some damage, will they kick us out?
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Those pesky rabbits and their wild house parties.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    jellyroll said:
    Those pesky wabbits and their wild house parties.
    FTFY
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Just set the rabbits on them. Problem solved.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    holnrew said:
    The letting agency want to do one soon. The rabbits have caused some damage, will they kick us out?
    No. :)
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Oh good. I don't mind repairing it or paying for the damage, it's just we've not been able to afford to.
    My V key is broken
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886

make sure they understand you want to fix it, landlords don't want people who trash a place and intend to carry on making it worse

Mind you, what damage?

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Mind you, what damage?

They soiled the carpets during their organised sex partys.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886

Maybe you could eventually buy a vax carpet cleaner or clone - we bought a clone that was quite good from Argos? ore rent one, or offer to rent one?

It does take a long time to kick people out though, but if you like the place, it's best to not scare the landlord

Mind you, I think you should man up and not blame your pets, living the rock and roll lifestyle can take its toll on the carpet, all those groupies and so little time   ....... ;-)

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

ToneControl;65844" said:
    ..... I think you should man up and not blame your pets, living the rock and roll lifestyle can take its toll on the carpet....

So it wasn't the rabbits that soiled the carpets ...OMG !!!

Lol. I wish the carpets were soiled. They've chewed the corner of the carpet in their room (they're enclosed, but managed to move the enclosure) and they've ripped wallpaper off the walls in a few spots.

That being said, there are some issues that are the responsibility of the landlord. The fill tap for the boiler is behind the washing machine, and it's had to be accessed a couple of times and taking the washing machine out has torn up the vinyl. There's a step from the living room to the kitchen, which is just fibreboard on top of a support in the middle, and the board has sagged either side, which is a bit dangerous. The toilet wobbles, the bathroom is a bit mouldy, the masonry around the front door is crumbling a bit as well as the wood in part of the door frame, the door itself has a crack in one of the panels, acouple of  wooden windowsills are rotten on the outside, the back yard has an open manhole because the lid rusted away (there was a wooden cover, but it's disappeared).

So on balance we're ahead :P

We plan on buying a place north of the river (Tyne) next year, so it would be nice to not have to move to other rented accommodation, and live there for a few months.

One of the letting agent's employees left a message on my other half's phone, saying that they'd be in the area on Wednesday and were wondering if they could come and inspect. We're out that day, so maybe they'll leave it until they're nearby again.
    My V key is broken
  • Do what we do, tell them you're only around on Saturdays because you're at work during the week. The girls from the letting agency come round on the Saturday and can't wait to get the inspection over so they can clock off for the day

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    Do what we do, tell them you're only around on Saturdays because you're at work during the week. The girls from the letting agency come round on the Saturday and can't wait to get the inspection over so they can clock off for the day

This.

Our letting agent sends us a hopeful e-mail every now and again as he's 'in the area' on said date.  We always say we will need to re-arrange for another time, then you don't hear from him for another 6 months.  Not actually worried about him visiting at all, it's just in the past he's used the need to inspect as a way of dragging out repairs that are pretty urgent, so now we just return the favour.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24265
    Just put heavy stuff in front of the damaged areas - hide it in other words !  As long as it's basically clean and tidyish and you haven't been smearing faeces down the walls and it doesn't smell like it either, you'll be fine.  Landlords know good tenants when they see them. All they're really interested in is 'are you wrecking my property?, 'cos I need to be able to let it out after you've moved on, with the minimum of work needed' and 'am I getting my money regularly'.  You'll be fine.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    Does it say that you are allowed animals in the house in the tenancy agreement? 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    What Emp says.

My missus is renting a house out, and as long as she gets paid when the rent's due, and the place isn't being smashed up, then she's happy. I would say that you have a duty to keep it in a reasonable decorative condition, but it depends what the contract says, and a decent landlord will know that wear and tear is normal.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited October 2013
    Emp_Fab said:
    Just put heavy stuff in front of the damaged areas - hide it in other words !  As long as it's basically clean and tidyish and you haven't been smearing faeces down the walls and it doesn't smell like it either, you'll be fine.  Landlords know good tenants when they see them. All they're really interested in is 'are you wrecking my property?, 'cos I need to be able to let it out after you've moved on, with the minimum of work needed' and 'am I getting my money regularly'.  You'll be fine.
    not completely true.  -   not every let or landlord has the same 'relaxed' view. Anything more than acceptable wear and tear,  Id expect you to pay for - and that includes things like getting the carpets cleaned ............. also can depend on what the damage actually is (ie is it likely to cause other problems....), and the cost of repair, if you dont cough up  it may come out of your bond money.

As part of our management fee,  we get video inspections done on our two lets every 6 months - the letting agent insists on it.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Yup, exactly what Emp says.

• bertie said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    not completely true.  -   not every let or landlord has the same 'relaxed' view. Anything more than acceptable wear and tear,  Id expect you to pay for - and that includes things like getting the carpets cleaned ............. also can depend on what the damage actually is (ie is it likely to cause other problems....), and the cost of repair, if you dont cough up  it may come out of your bond money.

As part of our management fee,  we get video inspections done on our two lets every 6 months - the letting agent insists on it.
    Presumably you wouldnt evict thogh, simply reclaim costs from the deposit on termination of the agreement?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    It's superficial damage. The carpet damage can be easily hidden, but the wallpaper not so much. I'm not fussed if it gets taken from the deposit money, it's what it's there for, and like I said when we move, we'll be buying so a reference isn't a problem. I'm just worried about staying here until then!
    My V key is broken
  • Don't sweat it, they won't care.

They're more bothered about whether you are ripping up carpets and painting things weird colours and tearing down fences etc. It really is just a "let's make sure the walls are still standing" type of thing.