*edited* Fishman rare earth blend or LR Baggs M1A?

BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
edited June 2015 in Acoustics
Looking to put either of those in my acoustic. Anyone got and advice etc on the above models and which is best?
Cheers chaps
Bo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4193
    My gigging experienced with the Rare Earth Blend was that the mic was very feedback prone so in most cases it had to be so low in the blend as to make it pretty pointless - so I'd only consider it if you like the sound of the magnetic pickup because that's what you're going to be hearing most of, with the mic just adding a little air where circumstances allow.

Never used the Anthem but I'm a big fan of the Lyric which uses the same mic. I despise the piezo sound so much that even a hint of it in the mix (as is used by the Anthem for the bass frequencies) is enough to turn me off the Anthem.
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    I have heard about feedback issues with the rare earth. Now looking at an lr baggs m1a
    Anyone use one?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've no personal experience but someone whose opinion I respect a lot has recommended the Seymour Duncan Mag Mic to me.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/acoustic/mag-mic.php

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I've got an M1A in my Stonebridge. It sounds great and I've never had a feedback problem with it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26973
    I really really liked the M1A in my Taylor 214.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Here is my Stonebridge/M1A combo. Going through a Yamaha THR10 on 'flat', just to get some reverb.

Game of Thrones theme acoustic - DiscoStu:
    The M1a is looking like the favourite so far. Just looks simple and effective
    I'm also looking at the m80 too. Anybody have any experience with that model. Thanks for the info so far guys it's really appreciated :)
    Bo
    Bump for info on the lr baggs m80
    Nice features on the M80 but flipping expensive for what still sounds like a soundhole pickup....
    I really like the idea of the active/passive switch as I'll be running it straight into a pa and other times into an amp. It is pricey though.
    edited June 2015
    BowynMadley;681758" said:
    I really like the idea of the active/passive switch as I'll be running it straight into a pa and other times into an amp. It is pricey though.
    Not 100% sure but I think Takamine's rebadged version of the M1a has that switch?

*edit* - just checked and it does. It's £20 more than the M1a and £80 less than the M80 at Thomann
    Cheers @lewy much appreciated. I've been umming and arrring for a month or so now. That takamine pickup is a good price but I've found a m80 for a very simular price. Bit more umming and arrring I think. I'll rip through some more review tonight.
    All sorted now thanks guys. I went for the lr baggs m80 in the end. Got a really good deal on it.
    Bo
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Zombie thread.... 

All sorted now thanks guys. I went for the lr baggs m80 in the end. Got a really good deal on it.
    Bo
    How you getting on with the m80?

I'm looking for a pickup to share between 3 guitars and the m80 is in the running. 
    Chris_J said:
    Zombie thread.... 

Bo
    How you getting on with the m80?

I'm looking for a pickup to share between 3 guitars and the m80 is in the running. 
    The m80 was a fantastic pickup and very versatile. It wasn't as practical as they say though. Changing it over from guitar to guitar is very fiddly without taking the strings off. In the end I realised that I only gave one acoustic that I want to have a pickup so I sold the m80 and bought the lr baggs anthem tru Mic SL. I'm very very pleased with it. Sounds very good

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    I use the Rare Earth Blend for plugged in playing - does the job. I tend to play through a TC Electronics ParaEQ so can give it more Mic in the mix.
     It's on the Bourgeois JOM thread - but not plugged in on those - does that even make sense. 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Thanks for getting back to me! 

I'm in 2 minds whether to just fit a pickup permanently to my 000 or to go down the route of a removable soundhole pickup so I could share it with my D18 and parlour... Decisions decisions. I used to have a guitar with a k&k mini, which was decent, but, if I wanted to play more than 1 guitar live then I'd need multiple systems.

I get what you're saying about the m80 being a pain to switch between guitars. I'm guessing all the decent soundhole/blend pickups week be the same due to their size. 

The rare earth blend is also in the running as is the Schertler m-ag6 with the additional mic. 
    Chris_J said:
    Thanks for getting back to me! 

I'm in 2 minds whether to just fit a pickup permanently to my 000 or to go down the route of a removable soundhole pickup so I could share it with my D18 and parlour... Decisions decisions. I used to have a guitar with a k&k mini, which was decent, but, if I wanted to play more than 1 guitar live then I'd need multiple systems.

I get what you're saying about the m80 being a pain to switch between guitars. I'm guessing all the decent soundhole/blend pickups week be the same due to their size. 

The rare earth blend is also in the running as is the Schertler m-ag6 with the additional mic. 
    If i were you I'd go fully installed. Yes you loose the interchangeability (Not sure that even a word) but what you gain in tone will far outway that. Plus what you have to take into account with sound hole pickups and especially the m80 is that it has 3 magnets in it. The humbucking coil and and 3rd for body resonance. This makes it a bit chunky and heavy. I bought my anthem sl from an American lr baggs dealer and after paying the import fees it was close on £100 cheaper than any uk dealer. 
    edited June 2017
    Since this Zombie thread is resurrected, I'm no longer the big fan of the LR Baggs Lyric that I said I was a couple of years back on this thread. Great sound potential, but way to fussy to get a good sound quickly on a gig.