Which amp should I get for sounding awesome?

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I think pedals sound like pedals, regardless of amp, but they can sound completely brilliant into an amp that likes them. 

I think my current setup of Shredmaster into Puretone is the best drive sound I've had. I don't know if it would fool anyone into thinking it's a valve amp, but I don't really care. 

Even when I've had amps with supposedly good drive channels like the Supersonic and Blackstar HT. I only really got excited when they were being thrashed by a pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Nerine said:
    In my experience, I've never rated Oranges as good pedal platforms. My RV50 never used to like them on the clean channel.

On the Orange forums I'm fairly sure I read a thread about pedals that actually worked well with Orange amps.
    The list wasn't terribly long if I recall correctly.
    It depends on the Orange... the Rocker 30 sounds great with pedals, as did the old 70s ones. Oddly enough the Rockerverb is a different enough amp from the Rocker that it doesn't work as well. Friends of mine have had both of them and the difference was really surprising.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I think its called choice. Too much of it.

Everything I buy these days I soon view as inadequate and superfluous because A: I don't have a clue how to really use it, and B: There is always retail therapy to satisfy.

To add a quick C into the mix. I'm an advertisers dream and fall for anything :(

• NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    ICBM;68166" said:
    Nerine said:In my experience, I've never rated Oranges as good pedal platforms. My RV50 never used to like them on the clean channel.

On the Orange forums I'm fairly sure I read a thread about pedals that actually worked well with Orange amps.

It depends on the Orange... the Rocker 30 sounds great with pedals, as did the old 70s ones. Oddly enough the Rockerverb is a different enough amp from the Rocker that it doesn't work as well. Friends of mine have had both of them and the difference was really surprising.
    Agreed. We have a Rocker 30 here at the studio and it's a very different animal to the Rockerverbs.
    Sounds superior to me.

Not a fan of the 6V6's in the Mk1 RV50.
  • Nerine said:

Any chance of a linky? I can't seem to find that thread.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    (a) I think pedals sound like pedals, regardless of amp, but they can sound completely brilliant into an amp that likes them. 

(b) Even when I've had amps with supposedly good drive channels like the Supersonic and Blackstar HT. I only really got excited when they were being thrashed by a pedal. 
    (a) agreed.

(b) yeah i tend to prefer a high gain amp boosted than not boosted. personally i still consider that to be mainly the amp generating the distortion.
    ICBM said:
    I didn't try them with pedals, but I remember when I tried the rocker 30 fairly soon after trying the rockerverb (not head to head, but fairly soon) i thought the rocker was broken because it had so much less gain and was so much more vintage-sounding. :))
  • Dave_Mc said:
    I didn't try them with pedals, but I remember when I tried the rocker 30 fairly soon after trying the rockerverb (not head to head, but fairly soon) i thought the rocker was broken because it had so much less gain and was so much more vintage-sounding. :))
    When I tried the Rocker 30 I just thought it sounded a bit bland (and how much?! with no fx loop?!). But when I tried the TH30 it made me cream my jeans. Horses for courses.
    Yeah i wasn't that fussed on the rocker when I tried it, either (though I may well appreciate it more now :)) ). I haven't tried the th30.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Dave_Mc said:
    That's exactly why I like it - it's the only one of the modern Oranges I do, and the one which to me sounds most like the old 70s ones - even though the dirty channel in particular is more 'Marshally' in some ways. The dirty channel works well with boost/dirt pedals, and the 'natural' channel is great with heavy distortion and fuzz pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Everyone know what I am going to say so I won't bother repeating it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    That's exactly why I like it - it's the only one of the modern Oranges I do, and the one which to me sounds most like the old 70s ones - even though the dirty channel in particular is more 'Marshally' in some ways. The dirty channel works well with boost/dirt pedals, and the 'natural' channel is great with heavy distortion and fuzz pedals.
    Yeah it's entirely possible I'd like it more if I got to try one now. :)) I'm more used to pedals and the like now and might well prefer it to the rockerverbs these days...
  • RocknRollDave;66206" said:
    Forget amps, it's down to your plectrum choice, that's where you're going wrong, lad.
    It's actually your shampoo.
  • Well, at our practice place tonight I played through a LC30 combo and it sounded awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The way I see it, you need a few options to stop yourself getting bored. Have a Marshall and something else, so when you're not feeling the Marshall you can switch to your EVH, or your Orange, or a Fryette, or a Mesa.. etc.. etc... and then when you get bored of that, go back to the Marshall.

On one level, it's just gear - it makes sounds. If you like them, groovy. If you don't, flog it and get something else. No need for any partisanship really.

A lot of the Porcupine Tree albums were recorded with Pod XT's for what it is worth - it's about knowing how to get the best from what you've got, and knowing when what you've got is holding you back or whether it is just all in your head.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    Suhr Badger 30
  • Well, at our practice place tonight I played through a LC30 combo and it sounded awesome.

Just to finish this thought off...I was actually really surprised by this amp. It has been sitting in our rehearsal space for ages but I always assumed it would be a bit meh so I never used it. I used one of the Laney VC amps and also a Lionheart head (actually, not sure I have used the Lionheart but the other guitarist in our band has used it a few times) and I've never been that impressed.

The LC was surprising though - not so much about the sounds but the responsiveness...it just seemed to do what I wanted - if I wanted sustain it just sustained and if I wanted clean, it cleaned up really well. I set it up with quite a high gain tone and then (because I didn't have a footswitch or really any idea how to use the amp) just used the guitar volume to change the tone. Just seemed effortless to play. Like it.

• Lc30 it is then! There is a 50 watt version but it sounds a fair bit different, different power section.
  • On the pedal thing - I tried some distortion pedals (Marshall Guvnor, RAT, MXR dist III) into the clean channel of the LC30 and they sounded the worst I have ever heard pedals sound. Just artificial and compressed and nasty. Surprised me...I would have thought an amp like the LC30 which is a prettty basic valve amp would have been a great pedal platform.
  • gearaddict;75634" said:
    On the pedal thing - I tried some distortion pedals (Marshall Guvnor, RAT, MXR dist III) into the clean channel of the LC30 and they sounded the worst I have ever heard pedals sound. Just artificial and compressed and nasty. Surprised me...I would have thought an amp like the LC30 which is a prettty basic valve amp would have been a great pedal platform.
    It is, and that surprises me... The mxr works better into a dirty amp, and the rat sounds like a rat, regardless of amp I find. The guvnor I've used into an lc30 before and loved, but only when used at unity volume as a preamp sort of thing, rather than boosting the sound.