Did The Roland JC120 Design Change At All

I have toyed with the idea of grabbing a JC120 for the past 15 odd years.  Lately a few have popped up.  Does anyone know whether the year it was made makes a marked difference?  Like JCM800s, is there a particular vintage I would expect to pay more for?
My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    There are several different versions of the JC120 which all look more or less identical from the outside, but don't all sound the same. The most obvious external change is when they added an FX loop on the back. (Though why'd you'd really need one on an amp that's almost only used as a clean 'power amp with controls', I have no idea.)

In my opinion the older ones do sound better in general. There doesn't seem to be any price premium to them though, possibly if anything the opposite - condition seems to matter more than age.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    There's quite a lot of info here regarding JC's

Gaz
  • Thank you both.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I wont start digging up the links cause they are a bit obscure and would take me all day but JC120 aficionados  would tell you they have changed and got worse. The non 120 variants ( I forget now what numbers they were assigned but they made smaller ones and bigger ones) seem to come up quite cheap although how close they are to the 120 experience I don't know.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I had a JC20 practice amp for a while, bought it in the mid 90s. Clean it sounded great and was remarkably loud for something so small. But the distortion sounded like arse though. I'd pick up another if I needed a small practice amp.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    That's ok.....the distortion on the 120 sounds like crap too
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    1nten5e said:
    That's ok.....the distortion on the 120 sounds like crap too
    Even that varies. OK, none is exactly going to thrill a valve amp user, but some sound a lot worse than others! I've played a few where you can get an acceptable gritty distortion sound - although never with the EQ set the same as would give you a decent clean, which is somewhat counterproductive - and others which just sound dire no matter what you do. I should explain this by saying that I always test it when servicing the amps, but I don't know why! :)

I actually got a genuinely good overdrive sound out of a JC55, which is the little 2x8" one and is almost ridiculously cool, as well as being surprisingly loud and full-sounding. I had one in for a service years ago, never seen another, and if the owner had been willing to sell I'd have bought it on the spot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein