The difference between a Key and a Mode

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
edited June 2015 in Theory
I thought that this was a clear answer to the recurring question:

Question: "What's the difference between a Key and a Mode"
Answer: "The Key will tell you what note is the tonic and the Mode will tell you the scale."

From this site Jake Hertzog. Guitar Player Magazine:
http://JakeHertzog.com

"What’s the difference between a diatonic key and a mode like super locrian or lydian?—Moded out in Manhattan

Dear Moded:Great Question! This is where some of the terminology of music theory becomes confusing. So you’re not alone in trying to figure this out, to make it worse, many of these words are not always used correctly in common conversation, so it’s no wonder people are confused. Think of it this way: A KEY refers to a particular “home base” or tonic note. For example the “Key of C”. But that doesn’t tell you anything about the rest of the notes that will be used. A MODE refers to a particular set of half steps and whole steps, but does not specify any one tone. So the KEY will tell you what note is the tonic and the MODE will tell you the rest of the scale construction. Lets break it down with an example: Our good old fashion C Major, is called “key of C” but that is a mis-nomer. The truly accurate description of this harmonic system would be the “KEY of C Ionian”. Now I’ve given you a tonal center (c) and a mode type (ionian) that tells you that you will start on C and then go : w w 1/2 w w w 1/2. and then you will be back at C. So Remember, you need BOTH things to tell you what notes to play, KEY and MODE. They are linked. This should also lead you to the idea that practicing in a KEY means you play every MODE and practicing in a MODE means you play every KEY. Hmmm…got a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck!!!"
"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited June 2015
    IanSavage said:

Enough of that, is Sweet Home Alabama in D or not?!?

;)

The question might be, "What Mode is Sweet Home Alabama in?"

;)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    GuyBoden said:
    IanSavage said:

Enough of that, is Sweet Home Alabama in D or not?!?

;)

The question might be, "What Mode is Sweet Home Alabama in?"

;)

G. Ionian.

D. Mixolydian.

C. Don'tgiveafuckian.

There, sorted.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I disagree with that answer...

the "key of C" refers to the key of C major.. it's perfectly clear...

if the key is something else, like a minor one with C as the tonic, then the key will be Cm...

the guy writing that is making clearly stuff up cos he is not 100% certain of the answer either.. look at a classical score for any instrument / ensemble / orchestra "in C", and the title will NEVER say "in C Ionian". It'll be "blah blah in C". And as you'd expect, the key signature will have no sharps or flats... and the piece will be in C major...

that answer is jazzer slang at best

yes there is a difference between key and mode... but it has nothing to do with that answer... unless of course you're a jazzer cos then it'll make perfect sense... and everyone else that's not a jazzer don't count... cos they're stupid.. lmao

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    Clarky said:

I disagree with that answer...

the "key of C" refers to the key of C major.. it's perfectly clear...

if the key is something else, like a minor one with C as the tonic, then the key will be Cm...

the guy writing that is making clearly stuff up cos he is not 100% certain of the answer either.. look at a classical score for any instrument / ensemble / orchestra "in C", and the title will NEVER say "in C Ionian". It'll be "blah blah in C". And as you'd expect, the key signature will have no sharps or flats... and the piece will be in C major...

that answer is jazzer slang at best

yes there is a difference between key and mode... but it has nothing to do with that answer... unless of course you're a jazzer cos then it'll make perfect sense... and everyone else that's not a jazzer don't count... cos they're stupid.. lmao

I more or less agree with Clarky.  The key is not only defined by the Key Signature, but also then tells you what the sequence of notes are i.e if it's C Major then the notes in the scale are CDEFGABC. The Key in this case could also be the Relative / Natural Minor (A Minor). The Modes relate to the degree of the parent scale on which you choose to start the Mode, i.e if you start C Major on the second note of the scale (D) then you get D Dorian.

It eternally fascinates me how you can play the same set of notes in different ways and get them to sound differently. If you're improvising in C Major, and then change to A Minor (Aeolian) or D Dorian, then the colouration of your sound changes, despite the fact that you're playing from the same set of notes.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

I agree with Clarky (jazzers are some of the most creatively stupid people on the planet) - and I will now say stuff he might well disagree with, but I agree with what he's written.

A Key is something you write at the start of a piece of music - it's generally a note on the accidentals you'd expect to encounter in the music.

At the start of a piece of music there's also a time-signature - it's generally the best pattern to frame a passage of music to be read, like a key.

So if you don't read music time signature and key are words about the music rather than artefacts of a piece of notation.

An analogue of that is "the central line is red", "the picadilly line is blue" their portrayed on a popular map in those colours is all.

It's possible to express one time signature sound using another (not for all examples, but some - as found in Rhythmic Illusions)... equally you could write something in the key of C and pepper the notation liberally with # and b so that someone listening transcribes it in their head as another key. There's more than one way of doing it...

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    edited June 2015
    I agree with what Jake Hertzog from Guitar Player Magazine has stated on his site. He's using more recent music theory, the Key signature might have the F# sign on the staff, the Key tonic note is "A" and the Mode "A Dorian".    :)

Using recent music theory; the Mile's Davis Modal Tune "So What" is in the key of D, using Mode Dorian.

guitar mag theory or not, answer that question in a real music exam like that, in a real university, and you'll get zero points...

because this

Answer: "The Key will tell you what note is the tonic and the Mode will tell you the scale."

is completely untrue.. opinion has nothing to do with this stuff.. what a key is and what it does is just a simple fact.. the whole thing about adding the mode type looks to me like some stuff that someone made up cos they couldn't answer the question in a better way. sorry mate.. it's just wrong

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:

guitar mag theory or not, answer that question in a real music exam like that, in a real university, and you'll get zero points...

because this

is completely untrue.. opinion has nothing to do with this stuff.. what a key is and what it does is just a simple fact.. the whole thing about adding the mode type looks to me like some stuff that someone made up cos they couldn't answer the question in a better way. sorry mate.. it's just wrong

It's not my theory, it's how Modern Music Theory is taught.

Jake Hertzog from Guitar Player Magazine knows his stuff.
    frankus said:

I agree with Clarky (jazzers are some of the most creatively stupid people on the planet) - and I will now say stuff he might well disagree with, but I agree with what he's written.

A Key is something you write at the start of a piece of music - it's generally a note on the accidentals you'd expect to encounter in the music.

At the start of a piece of music there's also a time-signature - it's generally the best pattern to frame a passage of music to be read, like a key.

So if you don't read music time signature and key are words about the music rather than artefacts of a piece of notation.

An analogue of that is "the central line is red", "the picadilly line is blue" their portrayed on a popular map in those colours is all.

It's possible to express one time signature sound using another (not for all examples, but some - as found in Rhythmic Illusions)... equally you could write something in the key of C and pepper the notation liberally with # and b so that someone listening transcribes it in their head as another key. There's more than one way of doing it...

I agree with all of that but not the way you use the word accidental... an accidental is a note outside of the key.. so... if we were in the key of G for example, the key sig would show the note F as a sharp.. that's not an accidental because it's in the key of G.. however, if at some point in the music we wanted the note C to be C sharp for a little while, the sharp sign would be next to the note [and not next to the clef].. the C sharp is the accidental until it becomes C natural again, which puts it back in line with the key sig..

your point about "peppering sharps around" actually happens.. if you look at the score of a minuet for example, there will no doubt be a key change roughly have way though... you'll see a couple of give away 'things' for the key change.. lots of accidentals will show up.. and there will [certainly in classical music] be a perfect cadence to establish the new key..

all my crap ramblings above put to one side... I totally understand point you're making and fully agree with it..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

hmmmm.... looking at my comments above and I think I'm in danger of looking like a complete asshole.. and that is totally not my intention..

anyways... I'm just trying to get the point across that some of the music theory in mags etc [and even some contemporary music academies] is not good.. and being modern don't make it more right either... just like trem arms that do vibrato, or calling a chord a sus4 chord just because it contains the same notes as a real sus4, but it's not involved in a suspension event... etc.. simply put, they are very poorly chosen labels for things because they were misunderstood, but now they are generally accepted terms..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Wiz
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

Yes - I did misuse accidentals! it's the polar opposite of what I've written.

I am wondering if this is one of those "when in Rome things", in Karate there are about four stances we use, in boxing there's one and in Muay Thai another... all meant to do the same things, all supposedly the way to do it. but there's value in each and cross-over to be exploited - knowing all of them gives an interesting perspective.

In so many disagreements it's easy to be experts on our own side, the people who're massively useful are those that can step outside their own, and at some point that means having adopted neutrality enough to absorb another person's point of view.

What I've found is the only way to achieve convincing someone else you get their point of view is to paraphrase it and repeat it back (at this point the other person corrects - either the other person or themselves) and the other person has another go.. in counselling it's called active listening and it's a proper skill in dealing with difficult people and tricky situations.

From my understanding of Clarky, I believe he's grokked the idea of keys and such inside his own area of expertise and used that as a platform to understand it for other genres or modern approaches. It might be useful for someone to identify the disparities in a summary to nail it for all time.

I can think of three people on this thread who are either inclined to or qualified for some parts of the job, and I think understanding this might be enriching - not just for us plebs, but just to crystalise the differentiations for people preferring or knowing one part.

edited June 2015

you're right about the "when in Rome" thing.... there are certainly theoretical points that make most sense within a specific context..

for example, in old money [17th Century], for a key change to be fully established, a perfect cadence is absolutely mandatory.. Just like a cap is at the start of a sentence or a full stop is at the end. it was a point of grammar. and of course in modern music [irrespective of genre] rules such as that don't need to be adhered to.. and are generally not adhered to in practice either..

so yes context is a big deal...

when I teach theory, I teach classical first because that is where the fundamental principles were established and really nailed down.. then I overlay the contemporary.. so I teach both "the rules" and some of the ways that they got broke [good and bad]..

there are two ways of looking at modes... one of them is obvious.. how do I find / use them cos they're so powerful and cool...

the other is more historical... where did they come from so why do they even exist... and how were they used.. it's this question that begins to give a little insight as to them being what you could sort of consider as "sub-keys" within the parent major key [in exactly the same fashion as a minor key being "relative"]..

Just thought I'd add that Jake Hertzog studied music at Berklee College and his Masters at the Manhattan School of Music.

Yeah, I'd say, he knows his stuff.
    It's not really contributing to the discussion just reinforcing your position, planning on becoming entrenched? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I only ever consider what Key a song is sung in. Then I know the chords that are most likely to be suitable or 'fit'. TBH I couldn't explain modes if you paid me...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

GuyBoden said:
    Just thought I'd add that Jake Hertzog studied music at Berklee College and his Masters at the Manhattan School of Music.

if that's true, then I'm gobsmacked that he answered that question so poorly

in his defence though, that is a very difficult question to answer briefly with clarity because the background knowledge needed is quite large. as always with music.. so many things are so easy to demonstrate but so difficult to explain with the written word..

@frankus I can do the entrenched bit if ya want.. lol… cos I still think the answer is in the 'not that great' to 'totally wrong' area
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'd go with playing each mode in a single key to hear the differences.

So in (for example) G

G major

G Dorian

Etc

That'll explain things way better.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Clarky said:
    GuyBoden said:

if that's true, then I'm gobsmacked that he answered that question so poorly

in his defence though, that is a very difficult question to answer briefly with clarity because the background knowledge needed is quite large. as always with music.. so many things are so easy to demonstrate but so difficult to explain with the written word..

Yeah, Jake Hertzog is a talented player/educator and has even opened for John Scofield.

Check him out on wiki or just Google him.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hertzog11/Jake_Hertzog