Sign of the times - PRS Custom 22 £850 gets no bids on ebay...?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    edited October 2013
    Times is hard in the dentistry game nowadays....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Man alive I could really go for one of them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    He might have pulled the auction before the end. I'm pretty sure that cancels all bids so it looks like there weren't any. If so he probably got a buyer off Ebay - that seems to be the way to do it if you don't want to pay the fees. just use the listing as an ad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixote;66226" said:
    Man alive I could really go for one of them.
    In a more interesting colour scheme, but yes. All of this.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    can't comment on the guitar selling side of things, but we're certainly noticing a drop in sales, and the stuff we are selling (we deal in 2nd hand books and collectables) tends to be the cheaper stuff. It's difficult to say if this is happening to everyone, but in our experience, people seem to be less willing to spend than they were a year ago.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:
    He might have pulled the auction before the end. I'm pretty sure that cancels all bids so it looks like there weren't any. If so he probably got a buyer off Ebay - that seems to be the way to do it if you don't want to pay the fees. just use the listing as an ad.
    If the listing was ended early it would say, also any bids placed and cancelled are still visible and there are none.

As @fretfinder said, it was poorly listed with the words that most would search for omitted from the title.

EDIT: Collection only doesn't help either
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    ICBM said:
    If the listing was ended early it would say, also any bids placed and cancelled are still visible and there are none.

As @fretfinder said, it was poorly listed with the words that most would search for omitted from the title.

EDIT: Collection only doesn't help either
    Yep, the auction did run its full course. If it had been a wide fat neck I probably would have bid on it at that price.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Yeah, the collection only thing really kills a sale. You can double the sale price of an item if you add postage.
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    Seems like a great deal to me. 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Shit, Id hapilly pay that for a CU22. Best gigging guitar ive used. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    was there a reserve price? Not sure you can tell if no one bids
  • DannyP said:
    Times is hard in the dentistry game nowadays....
    And Lawyers, they must be strapped for cash too.
  • I don't think collection would be a problem in this case.Surrey's the home of the stock broker.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    I caveat this story with the fact that I like PRS and Mesa. 

I was talking to a keys player I play with and he was complaining about how his other band don't get out much because the guitarist is a dentist and thus very busy. 

Plays a PRS into a Mesa? says I

Yes, do you know him? was the answer :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited October 2013
    Maybe nobody near enough to pick it up wanted one.  Stuff doesn't have to sell via auction at any price.

Items in the £8xx price bracket aren't really the kind of thing people buy on a whim because one pops up at auction at a bit less than the going rate.  They're usually planned purchases, and if nobody who saw the ad wanted it and/or had the cash then it isn't hard to see why it hasn't sold.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Collection only does make for low prices but surely someone in Surrey would have been looking for one - it's got to be worth a bit of a drive at that price...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited October 2013
    John_P said:
    Collection only does make for low prices but surely someone in Surrey would have been looking for one - it's got to be worth a bit of a drive at that price...

I don't think it is that low for a private sale.  I thought £8-900 was the going rate for CUs of that era with dots and regular (non 10 top) tops privately, and in the low £1k region for shops.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    John_P said:

I don't think it is that low for a private sale.  I thought £8-900 was the going rate for CUs of that era with dots and regular (non 10 top) tops privately, and in the low £1k region for shops.
    That's probaby true to be fair - I sold a swamp ash special for 800 last year and given it's a plain model it wouldn't fetch a high price - it's a very good buy as opposed to a bargain but if it had been witnh 30mins of me I would have found it hard not to go and check it out.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    That is a starting bid though not a buy it now price and may well have had a reserve.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    John_P said:

I spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at used prices and don't recall seeing any Customs before going for £850, and on ebay apart from the very occasional exception they tend to go for £1200+.