Meanwhile in Shropshire ...

What's Hot

Bus Spotters?

BUS SPOTTERS?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strange isn't it. I knew a chap once who liked buses so much that he bought Rover tickets to travel on all the routes he could during his spare time. He wasn't autistic, and was to all intents and purposes completely "normal", except for his enthusiasm for buses.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I used to know someone who had a compulsive thing with busses and he had memorised the entire West Midlands bus timetable. He was a long term psychiatric patient ( I was working at the hospital) and never went on a bus so it was useless information to him although useful and surprisingly accurate if you asked him how to get somewhere.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Ah, the bus timetable...a superior work of comedy fiction if ever there was one.

• Ah, the bus timetable...a superior work of comedy fiction if ever there was one.
    Even better than rail timetables :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    And the headline in the Shropshire Star just about sums up the place. Left at 19, and found that there was a world literally and metaphorically outside my home town... 
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Ah, the bus timetable...a superior work of comedy fiction if ever there was one.
    when I was regularly catching the bus into Birmingham city centre ( only earlier this year) the bus companies had abandoned the idea of a timetable for quite a lot of services, just replacing it with an approximate frequency. For example, if a bus is due on average every 20 minutes if 3 turn up together once an hour then they weren't fibbing.
    However, after that teenage girl was murdered on the bus on the route I took I gravitated toward the train instead.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited October 2013
    Ah bus obesssives... here's a tale:

My son hadn't been at school for too long when the teachers were wondering whether he was somewhere on the autistic spectrum -- it's unusual for 5 year olds to be doing sums with square roots and so on.  And he was totally absorbed by the registrations and serial numbers of buses... there are books of these things you know, and he had several and he would study them all the time.  Sure, he liked stories about bears and stuff, but if you wanted to know what model bus was introduced into which UK fleets in such-and-such a year, he knew.

For the longest time this was his favourite song:

So it was kind of no surprise when, now 20, he went into a particular occupation.

And about three weeks ago  I got a wonderful text full of excitement which basically said, “Hey guess what, you know my favourite bus in my bus book, the LN 407B* the first of the 1987 low loading double deckers, on page 6 -- well, I've just found out that it's here, it's been fully restored, and I'M DRIVING IT!!  :-)  “

Just for the record he's not autistic, he's just really, really into buses!  :-)

* I can't remember what number it was because I'm not a bus freak
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    After a six year stint, I'm leaving Shropshire next week. Think you'll understand why now.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Oh you can never leave. Never.

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh you can never leave. Never.
    Is Royston Vasey in Shropshire?
  • Great story!

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited October 2013
    Oh you can never leave. Never.
    Is Royston Vasey in Shropshire?

I like to think there's a bit of Royston in all of us

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    250,000 photos by two people in three years?

That's 114 photos each per day.

A tad excessive?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I did my army basic training just outside of Royston (no vasey tho, but it's not far off it).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I don't get bus spotters. Trains are far cooler.
    My V key is broken
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    VimFuego said:
    I did my army basic training just outside of Royston (no vasey tho, but it's not far off it).

Bassingbourn barracks?

Funnily when dad was in the RAF he did his Canberra course there....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Question of the day has to be, why is Decker one of the blokes in the picture?

Unless he's a bus spotter

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)