Reverse Engineering

A product requires revision. I did not design or write the original, but because I have redefined the message format and protocol, this product must be revised. It was written in PIC assembler . The code looks like it was neatly done by someone who understood very clearly what he was doing. Comments are meaningful, but a little sparse. The design of the algorithm is highly coupled to the architecture and instruction set of the PIC, which I am having to learn with the data sheet open in another window while I'm reading the code.

No wonder my brain is feeling bashed at the end of a working day. Am I too old for this? Don't answer that!
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How come there are two of these posts? Mods?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited August 2013
    Where? Have you been on the home brew again? Oh, yes, so there is. Spooky!

• So its not just me then! Why don't we have another pint?
    edited August 2013
    That's a tempting offer, but we'd probably end up with rather more than two duplicate posts. Oh, and yes, you ARE too old!

• That's a tempting offer, but we'd probably end up with rather more than two duplicate posts. Oh, and yes, you ARE too old!
    You're not a recruitment agent are you?

BTW how do you delete text you don't wish to quote? control-x doesn't work neither does delete
    :-/
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    I hate reverse engineering. Currently having to reverse engineer a customer solution that was put in 10 years ago. Design was done on the back of a fag packet (which is now lost), anybody who knew anything about it has either left or has been made redundant. Alas it's a core component of most of their business processes. By luck only it has never gone down.
    Oh yes everything about it is out of support. Hardware , OS, database and application. So out of date in fact that there are no direct upgrade paths.
    I need to virtualise it, but the hosting partner will not support out of support OS's
    That's a tempting offer, but we'd probably end up with rather more than two duplicate posts. Oh, and yes, you ARE too old!
    You're not a recruitment agent are you?

BTW how do you delete text you don't wish to quote? control-x doesn't work neither does delete
    :-/

No, I'm not a recruitment agent, and it's no use asking me about anything technical!