Creamery P90 Sized "Hidden" Humbucker

axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
Sounds a bit intriguing. Anyone tried one?

A dual blade magnet humbucker pickup inside a P90. Great string definition & clarity due to the dual blade magnets. More of a crunchy "Doubled up" hum-cancelling tone than the fat single coil voice of my classic P90, these new P90 sized dual blade Humbucker Pickups give a rich, crunchy, bright & biting attack.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Necro-bump!

...as I'd also like to know if anyone's tried one of these yet.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Not tried the Creamy pickup but I do have a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop "JB90".

The Duncan is, essentially, an SH-4 with shaved down bobbins so that it squeezes under a soapbar P90 cover. Of necessity, the polepiece screws emerge through the cover off centre and the mounting screws are offset to the ends.

Fits neatly into a soapbar P90 routed cavity. Sounds like a fractionally brighter than normal JB. Job done.

Looking at the Creamery P90-sized humbucker, surely, with the magnets within the coils à la Firebird mini humbucker, the fillister head screw polepieces must be mainly for cosmetic purposes.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I haven't but...
    I do have a set of his Domino Split Coils. These are single coils in a Humbucker housing. I had them made as a classic Fender style spec with Alnico II.
    It didnt make my LP style guitar sound like a Fender, but I feel sure it would in a Tele or Strat style guitar.

I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The Domino Split Coil model resembles two of the original (Lindy Fralin built) pickups in my ancient PRS EGII. Even in an alder/maple/rosewood guitar with a screwed-on neck, those did not sound sound especially "Fenderish".

Ironically, with three PRS humbuckers and no coil splitting, my EGII manages to sound surprisingly Fenderish.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.