What's your favourite Johnny Marr guitar moment?

What's Hot

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Intro to Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

Sheila Take a Bow, love how huge sounding this song is.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    edited June 2015
    Iamnobody said:
    As HSiN has been suggested i will go for the intro of This Charming Man.

This charming man!! and he is too.

A little story:

Some years ago my eldest son's English teacher lost his wife to cancer, He's a great teacher and all the kid's really liked him so, Ellis (my son) and a few of his mates decided to have a whip round to get said teacher a gift. Ellis asked what I thought they could get him, so knowing that he was a guitarist who liked, amongst others, Led Zeppelin and The Smiths, and being a Les Paul player, I suggest that a black Danelectro (a' la Jimmy Page) and, as one of Ellis' friends is the daughter of Graham Lambert of the Inspiral Carpets who happens to be a good friend of Johnny Marr, perhaps he could get him to get it signed by Mr Marr himself.

Graham agreed, spoke to Johnny, who was at this time playing with The Cribs who would be playing at The Ritz in Manchester soon.

Johnny invited Ellis and his 5 mates to the soundcheck to spend the afternoon with him and the band where he signed the guitar.

Ellis has somewhere a little bit of phone footage of Johnny playing "This Charming Man" unplugged on the Dano. If I can find it I'll post it.

Not only that, but about year or so later Ellis and I went to see Little Barrie at the Day and Night Café in Manchester where we bumped into Johnny Marr who remembered Ellis and spent a good half hour chatting with him.

The nice thing about it was it was Johnny asking most of the questions - he seemed genuinely interested in what my son had to say.

Proper Chap and brilliant player in my eyes!!
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    DesVegas said:
    The chords to That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore is up there with everything else mentioned here .. Sublime to say the least.

Not to mention the lead line over the later choruses.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    The bridge on William, It Was Really Nothing. Also his entire guitar part in This Charming Man.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @ellangus

Fabulous post. Thanks so much for that.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Agreed. Says a lot about the man.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I'm mostly familiar with Johnny Marr's playing during his time with The Smiths.

I can't think of a track during the whole of The Smiths catalogue that I don't admire his playing.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Yet some people still 'just don't get him.'.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852

They get it. Most of the time it's just their hatred of The Smiths that holds them back.
  • For Me its The Headmaster Ritual and either Barbarism begins at home or Bigmouth for second. 
    Always a good challenge learning a smiths track.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    OMG, has anyone else noticed how much Macca ^ looks like Johnny Marr? Whose that guy your with?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 84
    edited June 2015
    Steve Harmison

hahaha, i dont post much here and forgot all about that pic
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    edited June 2015
    randomhandclaps;681150" said:
    Normally it's the people who don't realise there's as much genius in composition as there is in technicality.

"I can play all his lines " they bleat, not realising that it was writing those lines that was the trickiest bit.

(plus, given how few decent Smiths covers I've ever heard -most guitarists can't ape him at all)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    /\ Spot on. He's like Jimmy Page in that you play to fit the song rather than using the song as a vehicle for showing off your playing.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    randomhandclaps;681150" said:
    Normally it's the people who don't realise there's as much genius in composition as there is in technicality.

"I can play all his lines " they bleat, not realising that it was writing those lines that was the trickiest bit.

(plus, given how few decent Smiths covers I've ever heard -most guitarists can't ape him at all)

Skarloey said:
    /\ Spot on. He's like Jimmy Page in that you play to fit the song rather than using the song as a vehicle for showing off your playing.

Yes, ever since his Smiths days, I've always thought of him as a composer/songwriter. His guitar solos aren't partially impressive, but I consider his compositions and use of harmony to be top notch.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    DesVegas said:
    The chords to That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore is up there with everything else mentioned here .. Sublime to say the least.
    This x1000
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    I love the intro to this charming man but Morrisey's three-note melody lines drive me mad.  It's like an album of great guitar playing with some twat singing "I know a song that gets on everybody's nerves" over every track.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Emp_Fab Awwwwww come on. Morrissey is a STAR.

Marr's a great guitarist but his work without Moz isn't as good.

Whereas Moz solo at his best proves he's one of the great english originals in any art form.

Vive le Moz baby.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited July 2015
    Fucking hate everything about Morrissey.

Johnny Marr is brilliant. Favourite moment? Hmm... Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now was my introduction to his playing, I particularly like the jangly riff before the first verse, the little lead line before the second verse and the riff in the second verse. And the bass part.

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out has a brilliant chord progression, but for me it's the bass part that really stands out.

This Charming Man... that fkin intro, how brilliant is that? How did he manage to coax that riff out of those chords? Great bass part too.

Why does Andy Rourke not get more credit?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Also, here's an even better version of Please Please Please... lovely playing as ever, and it's Marr singing rather than Cuntface.

Such a great chord progression in that one too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."