Will learning Jazz theory stop me playing in the style I have already developed?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11892

I've been playing for 34 years, and I can play to professional-standard in the areas I have taken an interest in.

I have mostly avoided learning other peoples' solos, and tried to develop a style from the ground up, slowing down my playing then building up speed after the notes started meaning something. This probably leaves me somewhere in style between Dave Gilmour, Rev Gibbons (his slower styles), Matt Scofield (but not quite as Jazzy) and John Mayer, but with lots of my own little foibles. My techniques and theory are advanced in bits I am interested in, and significantly less elsewhere, since I am self-taught

I've enrolled for the Jazz improv course, and I've always liked (some) Jazz - I'd like to be able to do full-on Jazz when I feel like it, and mix in a bit (like Matt Scofield) when I want to

I'm slightly worried that, rather than simply giving me extra vocabulary to use when I desire, this new knowledge might stop me being able to play in my current style. Is this a valid concern? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    So you're a blues player and you're worried about becoming a jazz player? ;-)

Do you speak French? I do and yet I can still speak English ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The DNA of jazz is the blues. Your skills are transferable, your concern is of course valid because you're concerned about it. I'm sure you'll be fine. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Yes.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    In the late seventies the option of learning Jazz theory online was obviously not available. So most guys were stuck with either finding a Jazz teacher, or..........copping all the solos from Frampton Comes Alive, then playing them endlessly, and then waiting...... for the licks to "infiltrate" your solos. You always knew the exact moment when this process started because the Drummer would suddenly give you "a strange look" - the first time he has even noticed you all evening.

I recall a punter approaching me straight after a gig at around that time:
    Him: " Excuse me. Are those Mixolydian scales?"
    Me:  "Huh? I think it's just a shaving rash."

:)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    edited October 2013
    Normally no, but it depends on how you'll approach it. I find it common that when I venture into smth new, my previous playing changes a bit. If you learn the theory in order to get a better understanding of it then no. If you learn it to incorporate elements in your playing then your playing will change. You will be able to play the same things but you maybe be able to enhance them in ways that will make you sound different Than before. You can then focus on isolating the styles or intentionally mixing them which I think is what you want. That's progress and development IMHO. But you won t be formatting the hard drive in any case. You are essentially adding Just one more tool in the bag. Just keep in mind though that you'll eventually have to learn a few licks from the old cats and that a big part of practicing jazz is actually trying to really play it with others which is not always easy.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    ToneControl said:

I'm slightly worried that, rather than simply giving me extra vocabulary to use when I desire, this new knowledge might stop me being able to play in my current style. Is this a valid concern? 

It depends tbh. Considering the influences you've cited, I doubt it'll be a problem. For the way I play, if I dropped in some of the more exotic stuff into a punk influenced r'n'r solo I would get some comments for sure. As I'm playing for the average listener and not other musos I'm more concerned about what they think than anyone analysing the validity of my note choice.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Gives you more things to play with and the ability to chose what to play, rather than being able to play just one thing. 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    It will just make you a better musician. Classical musicians are always playing pieces in different styles and it just enhances their abilities as well as enriching their artistic outlook. Go for it. And try using the symmetrical diminished in Anarchy in the UK, it goes down a treat. Has your drummer got brushes?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • The simple answer is "no" - the more nuanced one, maybe a little.

Chances are every time you pick up the instrument you are reinforcing and maintaining your existing styles.  If you start spending most or all of your practising time in other areas, that maintenance stops happening.  You could become a little less fluent in your current styles.

The second thing is new habits become ingrained.  If I try soloing on a 12 bar blues sticking purely to minor pentatonic, which is how I'd have done it when I started out, I find it pretty difficult.  I either stick in some notes I shouldn't because they are now so hard-wired into my thinking, or I find my playing quickly gets repetitive and samey. Partly that's maturing taste but I've also lost some of my ability to make the most of a limited palette because I don't practice it.

Having said that, I'm sure you will gain far far more than you lose from broadening your horizons.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Have 1 point, wise one.
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    It's not a valid concern really. It will only affect how you play if you choose to use it. Are you implying that learning Jazz will make you play differently? Surely having an interest means you want to play differently. Play whatever you want, when you want. I might be misunderstanding something here.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    The anxiety of learning new things and challenging preconceptions may have an effect, but we only grow as individuals when we step outside our comfort zone.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    You are overlooking the real danger which is that you may start wearing berets and take up gauloises.
  • On this topic I have just started using jazz music and "theory" to try and improve my playing. My tutor is starting to teach me chord tone soloing and expanding my chord knowledge using jazz as a framework to hang it on. It makes a nice change from soloing up and down the scales.

I was pretty much stuck in 12 minor pentatonic playing plus a few songs but even that was blues/rock so it's been invigorating to play something different and challenge myself.

On that basis I can highly recommend learning it... A little bit addicted now and after a good jazz guitar :O
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    T-Bone Walker used chord tone soloing? ;)

I suspect chord tone soloing in blues predates pentatonics which were probably part of the white-boy blues phenomena.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?