Know nothing about acoustics - HELP!

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3445
Hi,

I have 4 electrics with a lot of overlap tone-wise so I decided I should swap one for an acoustic. I've got a really good offer:

Now, I know very little about acoustics. Does this look like a good one? I'm more of a picker and fingerpicker than a strummer, and certainly not a singer/songwriter but I do write some clean guitar instrumentals that will sound better on acoustic than electric.

All help appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    In general dreadnought-size guitars are more suited to strumming than gentler picking, although not always. My Gibson Dove - which is also a maple-back dreadnought - is excellent for picking.

You really need to know someone who has played one personally, or by reputation if it's a better-known maker.

It looks well-made in the pics, but even that isn't a guarantee that it will sound good and play well. The bridge saddle also appears to be somewhat high, although that isn't always a problem.

How much is it valued at as a swap for the electric?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    ICBM said:
    The bridge saddle also appears to be somewhat high, although that isn't always a problem.

Indeed it does. I'd ask for a measurement of how far the strings are off the soundboard, measured right in front of the bridge. If it a lot more (or less for that matter) than half an inch then something has likely gone awry in the build.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Isn't that adjustable with a setup, though?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Isn't that adjustable with a setup, though?
    Easily.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    Depends on the action as it is already.
    If it's already low-ish and it has a way high saddle then the geometry could be off. The height of the strings above the soundboard, irrespective of action, has an effect on the guitars performance.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Here's a video about it which I've just found out:

My trade item has a value of around £200 so I think I'm getting a good deal here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    My trade item has a value of around £200 so I think I'm getting a good deal here.
    I think I would take a chance on almost any hand-built acoustic that looks reasonably well made, for that sort of value.

The bridge height is *not* "adjustable" though, as Lewy said - it's dictated by the angle of the neck joint and to a very small extent by the neck relief. So although it can be adjusted by altering the height of the saddle, you have to use it to give the correct action on the basis of the other two things. If the neck angle is wrong, there's nothing you can do about the saddle.

However, makers who really know what they're doing will often build the guitar with a high saddle on purpose - over time under the string tension, the neck block will compress slightly and the top will pull up, meaning that the saddle has to be lowered to maintain the right action. So you don't want it too perfect when the guitar is brand new, or after a while you have no more room for adjustment and the only real fix is to reset the neck, which is why this is a common repair on very old acoustics.

So if that pic was takes when the guitar was straight off the bench, it could be deliberate and not a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom