Rickenbacker Basses ... edu-macate me :)

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
edited June 2015 in Bass
Hello ... for no other reason than the fact I like how they look, I'm fancying a Ricky.

What's to know? The model numbers and this seem odd, plus buying used seems like the prices are all over the place.

Help!
(Please :) )
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    The classic Rick bass is the 4001, but since the early 80s it's been called the 4003 and the 4001 is now a vintage reissue.

The 4000 is the same thing but with only one pickup, the 4001S is the same thing but with less fancy trim and no stereo output option, the 4002 is an 80s model with different pickups and electrics, the 4004 is a modernised version of the same body shape, and the 4005 is a semi-acoustic that looks totally different. Then there are the quite rare and cheaper 3000 and 3001, which are not really the classic Rick bass.

Older 4001s are worth a little more than modern ones, but not that much. Before 1973 they seem to get a little more valuable since they have the desirable checker binding, full-width neck inlays and the proper 'Horseshoe' pickup rather than a normal pickup with a cover over it that looks similar. In the mid-70s the 4001 neck pickup position was moved a bit further from the neck. Before 1985, all Rickenbackers had a different truss rod design which can be a trap for the unwary, so may be best avoided.

If you just want the classic Rick bass for a sensible price and with no complications, buy a 4003. The new price has gone up a fair bit recently so prices can be variable, but it's fairly unlikely you'll get one in decent condition for under a grand, and you shouldn't pay more than £1500.

Does that help at all?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
    Thank you - that makes a tonne of sense :) I've been offered (what I now think is) a 4001. Two pickups, and the serial says mid 1980. Should I worry about the truss rod issue? The neck is straight, but it has some minor wear. Any idea on the value? Or even if it's something I should avoid? I just want to replace my 90s Squire P Bass ... I'm assuming a Ricky won't be limited in sound? I see many and varied payers with them.
  • ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 111
    edited June 2015
    The older truss rod blocks ( bit that holds the end of the two rods, yup they have two rods!) are known to bend so make sure you can get a saucepan truss rod adjuster round the end of the rod before you buy. Ricky's are totally marmite basses, you either love them or simply don't get it at all. They are definitely a desired taste. I like them in essence, but after owning one years back I never would again, just too much of a Fender style man myself and a Ricky will never be as versatile as a Fender Bass. They are well worth a play and I'd never tell anyone not to get one, just make sure you have a proper play before you buy!
    ... Or wait a week and I can sell you a 5 string Music Man StingRay for £850 ;) ( got it coming in on a part exchange) Sorry, was that a bit too cheeky?!
    The older truss rod blocks ( bit that holds the end of the two rods, yup they have two rods!) are known to bend so make sure you can get a saucepan truss rod adjuster round the end of the rod before you buy.
    Even more critical, you *must* learn the correct method of adjusting them since if you don't, you will not only bend the rods, you can pop the fingerboard off. The saucepan adjusters are part of the problem really, since they encourage the ability to tension the rod without relieving the neck first.

Ricky's are totally marmite basses, you either love them or simply don't get it at all.
    I would agree with that. I wouldn't play anything else, but I do know a lot of people don't get them at all.

a Ricky will never be as versatile as a Fender Bass.
    But I don't agree even slightly with that! The Rick is far more versatile than either a P-Bass or even a Jazz, in my opinion. I used a P-Bass at band practice the other week and it just couldn't do the sounds I normally get out of my 4001. It's a perfectly fine… one sound bass :). The Jazz is slightly more versatile but it still can't do the same deep thump on the neck pickup or the grinding power on the bridge one.

Thank you - that makes a tonne of sense :) I've been offered (what I now think is) a 4001. Two pickups, and the serial says mid 1980. Should I worry about the truss rod issue? The neck is straight, but it has some minor wear. Any idea on the value? Or even if it's something I should avoid?
    That will have the old truss rods, yes. If the neck is straight, there is no sign of cracking under the fingerboard edges and the rod ends are not bent downwards (too much - most are slightly) which you will need to take the logo plate off to see, it's probably fine. One of the good things about the old rods is that although they are tricky to adjust, they tend to *stay* adjusted - they're much less climate-sensitive than other designs.

Value is probably around £1500 for a 4001 (bound body, triangle inlays) and a little less for a 4001S (dot inlays) from that year in fairly good condition.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Got Weller on at Glastonbury - his bassist is that something like a Rickenbacker Cheyenne?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I've got to say, this thing is a lot of fun to play.

I don't have an amp for it, so have been plugging it into my guitar amp, but it does sound very "chunky" for want of a better word.

I find the thing quite comfortable too, so that's cool. I've only just noticed that the cover for the bridge pickup is missing, which is a pain. Can't seem to find out how much it will cost to replace - will factor for that into the price if I buy it :)

Thanks for the advice chaps!
    I've got to say, this thing is a lot of fun to play.

I don't have an amp for it, so have been plugging it into my guitar amp, but it does sound very "chunky" for want of a better word.

I find the thing quite comfortable too, so that's cool. I've only just noticed that the cover for the bridge pickup is missing, which is a pain. Can't seem to find out how much it will cost to replace - will factor for that into the price if I buy it :)
    You can find them fairly easily - a lot of people take them off because they get in the way, so be careful before you pay a lot for one.

I find it does get in the way on a later 4001 or a 4003 with the "1 inch" neck pickup spacing, which puts your natural picking position right where the bridge pickup is, but on the earlier "1/2 inch" spacing your hand ends up slightly further forward and the cover then isn't in the way at all. At least for me.

You can also buy aftermarket inserts for the pickup surround which close off the unsightly gap around the pickup and can incorporate a small thumb-rest - http://www.rickysounds.co.uk/Bezels.html

Oddly enough Rickysounds doesn't seem to have the pickup covers even though they have just about everything else, maybe they really are that unpopular!

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited June 2015
    ICBM said: Chiliwailer said: Ricky's are totally marmite basses, you either love them or simply don't get it at all. I would agree with that. I wouldn't play anything else, but I do know a lot of people don't get them at all.
    Chiliwailer said: a Ricky will never be as versatile as a Fender Bass. But I don't agree even slightly with that! The Rick is far more versatile than either a P-Bass or even a Jazz, in my opinion. I used a P-Bass at band practice the other week and it just couldn't do the sounds I normally get out of my 4001. It's a perfectly fine… one sound bass :). The Jazz is slightly more versatile but it still can't do the same deep thump on the neck pickup or the grinding power on the bridge one.

Yep, I love
    everything about Ric 4001/ 4003s, except how they play! I have been disappointed so many times whenever I pick one up and get my hand round the neck. It just isn't for me, which I find very upsetting!

They are very versatile. Anyone who says otherwise is silly!
    dogload said:
    Yep, I love everything about Ric 4001/ 4003s, except how they play! I have been disappointed so many times whenever I pick one up and get my hand round the neck. It just isn't for me, which I find very upsetting!
    They have varied quite a bit over the years, if that helps - in general the older ones are narrow and medium depth, the 90s ones tend to be narrow and deeper, and around 2005-2006 they got wider *and* shallower. I'm not sure what they've done after that, I don't think I've played one much newer than that. There's certainly a big difference between my previous '06 4003 (wide/thin) and my '73 4001 (narrow, nice and rounded), which is partly why I swapped.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Got Weller on at Glastonbury - his bassist is that something like a Rickenbacker Cheyenne?
    Googled it. Yes it is. Well done me.  :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2015
    Two things I've learned from forums 1) Never argue with a Rickenbacker devotee. 2) Never argue with a Music Man devotee. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Two things I've learned from forums 1) Never argue with a Rickenbacker devotee. 2) Never argue with a Music Man devotee. ;)
    In that case you would probably have to say, 3) never put one of each in the same room.

Unless you're placing bets :).

ICBM said:
    In that case you would probably have to say, 3) never put one of each in the same room.

Unless you're placing bets :).

Wouldn't know who to bet on, I love both of them! Anyway, I'm a Mike Lull devotee so that must make me a pacifist? :)
    I forgot to say, I love Gibson basses too - well some of them, anyway. Which I suppose just makes me nuts!

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440

Only thing I can really say about them is if you want a new one be prepared to wait a very very long time. I used to work for the distributor and the back orders were mental. Years wait rather than weeks or even months.

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    My 4001 is still my bass of choice. I love how it plays, I love the sounds/versatility (I haven't found a style of music it can't cope with yet) and it's just so damn cool to look at!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    I pulled the trigger on that 80s 4001 in the end ... it's very very cool, in both looks and sound.

Very happy !
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Wicked. NBD thread required