Smooth Hound Innovations - Classic Wireless Guitar System

What's Hot

Comments

• smigeon said:
    Ooh, review at some point please! I think my main concern is kicking the receiver on my pedal board and losing signal ( although I'm not asking you to try that!). 
    If you're looking for other reviews, there's plenty of customer feedback on our website now.

I've not tried kicking the receiver ... I did stand on it though for another customer :)

I'm wondering if I could stick it on my board using my existing multi-PSU... Looks like a standard Boss centre-negative plug, I'm guessing? What is the current draw?? 
    Yes, so long as you have an isolated output with 250mA current capability and you'll need a polarity swapper as it is centre positive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SmoothHoundUKSmoothHoundUK Frets: 21
    edited December 2015
    Double post. :\">
    edited December 2015
    Triple post. :\"> :\">
    edited December 2015
    Quadruple post. :\"> :\"> :\">
    I only posted twice. Honest!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    do you sell transmitters separately ?
    I typically have 3 to 4 transmitters per reciever in my wireless set up  
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Only just spotted this! I must live about 2 miles from you - I'm in Histon at the North end just next to Cottenham Road, @Corvus is also a Histon Fretboard-er. Don't think we have any Cottenham regulars, though. I was gigging at the Railway Vue in Histon last night, I could have arranged a road-test!
  • Cabicular said:
    do you sell transmitters separately ?
    I typically have 3 to 4 transmitters per reciever in my wireless set up  
    Yes. There's no limit to the number of transmitters you can bind to a receiver. We have quite a few customers who use multiple transmitters - it makes for very quick and nearly silent guitar swapping. They cost £79 each.
  • bigjon said:
    Only just spotted this! I must live about 2 miles from you - I'm in Histon at the North end just next to Cottenham Road, @Corvus is also a Histon Fretboard-er. Don't think we have any Cottenham regulars, though. I was gigging at the Railway Vue in Histon last night, I could have arranged a road-test!
    Small world! I enjoyed belgian beer in the Red Lion and a cracking curry in the Indian Ocean on Thursday night. I didn't know there was live music at the Railway Vue. I see Stingray are playing there on New Year's Eve. Their guitarist, Jon is a customer of ours.

Let me know if you'd like to come round to Smooth Hound HQ for a try out.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Thanks @bigjon I missed this too... I'd like to try this as well. Praps a joint visit? Good choice of venues Mr Hound, and a belated hello : )
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    @smoothhounduk   I nearly ordered one tonight (was about to buy a g30 and thought I might try the classic instead) but if I try to pay with paypal there is an extra £10 p&p charge?  It looks like the shipping is free if I use a card though - is that right or am I missing something obvious?
  • John_P said:
    @smoothhounduk   I nearly ordered one tonight (was about to buy a g30 and thought I might try the classic instead) but if I try to pay with paypal there is an extra £10 p&p charge?  It looks like the shipping is free if I use a card though - is that right or am I missing something obvious?
    Hi John, It is as intended. It's meant as an incentive to use our c/card processing company rather than a penalty for paying with PayPal. That majority of the difference goes to pay PayPal fees. Chris
  • Corvus said:
    Thanks @bigjon I missed this too... I'd like to try this as well. Praps a joint visit? Good choice of venues Mr Hound, and a belated hello : )
    Hi @Corvus, drop me a PM or email via our website and we can discuss the best way to meet up. I'm happy to bring the kit to you if that's easier. Chris
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    My good lady wife bought me one of these (on my request) for my birthday this year. Saturday night was the first opportunity I had to gig it. Overall Its brilliant! Really quick to pair and I didn't notice any difference in tone. Whilst I'm hardly running around on a 80ft stage at the O2, I find it really liberating to not have a lead around my feet. It's also great at soundcheck to go out the front of house to check balances. The only area I'm yet undecided on is how best to attach it to my guitar. I bought the extension barrel and was going to strap it to my strap with a short lead. As my strap is too skinny, I really need to get a pouch or something to put it in as the safety place to tuck it. If I don't, it also means the on/off switch presses against the body of the guitar and turns the transmitter off. So I've been plugging it straight in to the body for now whilst I decide what to get. It's really neat and looks in no way amateur.    
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Nice one Chris but you're so close popping up is no probs, I'll be in touch, cheers, Bill.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited December 2015
    Genuine question - I'm highly versed with the Line6 wireless systems (ex Service Manager for them).

The band I play in use a L6 wireless but due to some accidental damage (and me not being able to get cost price replacement parts) we are looking at options for our bass players rig. How does it work with another wireless system operating on the same stage?

There are limitations to the L6 system in terms of error correction (we use RF1 for greater packet size in four bands) and so will your system work in conjunction with this or is there a potential for drop out?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    Genuine question - I'm highly versed with the Line6 wireless systems (ex Service Manager for them).

The band I play in use a L6 wireless but due to some accidental damage (and me not being able to get cost price replacement parts) we are looking at options for our bass players rig. How does it work with another wireless system operating on the same stage?

There are limitations to the L6 system in terms of error correction (we use RF1 for greater packet size in four bands) and so will your system work in conjunction with this or is there a potential for drop out?

The short answer is that the Classic will work fine along side L6 gear. We have an endorser, Florian Friedrich, who I know uses his set alongside an L6 in one of the bands he plays with.

The slightly longer explanation is that all of the L6 wireless units can be switched to operate on one from 6/12 available 'channels' where a channel actually means a selection of four (sometimes five) frequencies in the 2.4GHz band. The frequencies used are published here. When switched to a particular channel, it will stick to those four frequencies.

The Classic also uses four frequencies but selects them from 79 available. If it detects interference (from, for example, an L6 unit) on a particular frequency then it will automatically stop using that frequency and select a different one. Each set automatically and continually adjusts which frequencies it is using to find the clearest region of the band.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    edited December 2015
    Parker said:
     As my strap is too skinny, I really need to get a pouch or something to put it in as the safety place to tuck it.

FYI, the leather cigarette pack pouches marketed at a certain type of biker (yes, I've owned one :D ) work very well for attaching guitar wireless packs to straps. Does look like the Smooth Hound's a bit smaller than the Shure and Line 6 ones I've employed this for though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Sale-Cigarette-Hard-Leather-Holder-Case-Pouch-Wallet-Purse-/400918750498?hash=item5d589ea522:g:IysAAOSwgkRVUcy2

EDIT: one of these would probably work quite well: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZJOBEE?dpID=41my55LA2JL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR73%2C135_&refRID=WN0GCRQJ5R9DD0N7NZGF&ref_=pd_rhf_sc_s_cp_2

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    SmoothHoundUK;899388" said:
    impmann said:

The short answer is that the Classic will work fine along side L6 gear. We have an endorser, Florian Friedrich, who I know uses his set alongside an L6 in one of the bands he plays with.

The slightly longer explanation is that all of the L6 wireless units can be switched to operate on one from 6/12 available 'channels' where a channel actually means a selection of four (sometimes five) frequencies in the 2.4GHz band. The frequencies used are published here. When switched to a particular channel, it will stick to those four frequencies.

The Classic also uses four frequencies but selects them from 79 available. If it detects interference (from, for example, an L6 unit) on a particular frequency then it will automatically stop using that frequency and select a different one. Each set automatically and continually adjusts which frequencies it is using to find the clearest region of the band.
    Ok thanks.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Hi all :)

@SmoothHoundUK, if you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to use a hinged jack instead of a simple jack input (mirroring the "Output" one)?
    It seems to me that it would have worked as well and make the unit cheaper to produce, even though it'd require for a short lead to connect the guitar to the unit. :)
  • ddlooping said:
    Hi all :)

@SmoothHoundUK, if you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to use a hinged jack instead of a simple jack input (mirroring the "Output" one)?
    It seems to me that it would have worked as well and make the unit cheaper to produce, even though it'd require for a short lead to connect the guitar to the unit. :)
    Hi @ddlooping,
    The main reason is to keep the transmitter as small as possible. It'd be a good deal bigger with a jack socket fitted in it. I understand that this design decision splits opinion but I wanted to make the smallest coolest looking thing that I could. Having a small plugin transmitter also makes switching guitars much easier as well as using the system around the house without a strap. Chris