Fastest Sat Nav in the, erm....west?

Hi folks!

Bit of a random question but I HATE my Sat Nav (TomTom One XXL I think) - it's PAINFULLY slow, to the point of if I'm going round a roundabout, it doesn't rotate fast enough and if I've missed the audio instruction, I miss the exit I need!

Also find the interface laggy and unresponsive.

What units do you guys have and what would you recommend?  I do about 40,000 a year to random places I've never been to before so have to have something that WORKS.

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I bought herself a decent Garmin last year for her new job. Sat in the car park and fired it up, it registered and clocked the route home faster than my decent phone based sat app which already had it without looking, A few weeks later we took it to france and did 1500 miles with no problems.

You might find a decent app for your phone but Garmin get a good rep.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Why don't you simply drive a bit slower on roundabouts, and give it a chance to catch up?

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What about letting Emp Fab build you some form of arduino based contraption to direct you on your journeys?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    We had a TomTom for years which was fine. However, I hadn't paid to update the maps and it kept crapping out so we bought a new one. Think it is the same one as in the OP. Yes, painfully slow and unclear.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggy;67780" said:
    Why don't you simply drive a bit slower on roundabouts, and give it a chance to catch up?
    That's ALMOST a Viz 'Top tip'. Drivers: When your Sat Nav goes wrong, simply stand on the brakes and wait for it to sort itself out. Other drivers will understand.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited October 2013
    a) I dont use one
    b) mrs bert has an old (er) near bottom of the range garmin that tells you whicht exit to take, prior to entering a round-a-bout

I used it once to find some hotel/golf course place up near wilmslow/macclesfield - it worked pretty well

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Fixed.  Went to Halfords this morning and demo'd a few.  Sorted myself a nice Garmin and it's ace.  

Now I no longer need to stop still in the fast lane of the motorway to work out if I need to turn off or not.  My wife will be pleased.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    my next car has it built in apparently............. we'll see how much I actually use it.................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.