Question about Luthier Performance Tools - in particular Nut Files

What's Hot
andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
edited July 2015 in Made in the UK
Have an option to source direct some top quality swiss made joint files. They are flat, round edges . They have serrations on both edges,( i.e. 2 cutting edges per file)  and are basically the best tool we have found for cutting nut slots easily and accurately.

If you are concious of the need for good nut files. I wondered what you guys would pay for a set that covered doing 9's and 10's accurately?   

0.3mm string gauge 009-010

0.4mm string gauge 011-013

0.5mm string gauge 015-017

0.7mm string gauge 026-030

1.0mm string gauge 040-042

1.2mm string gauge 048-052

I think we are likely to have them available to clinic customers ( along with some fret levelling, re crowning gear )  to buy as a set of six (around £6-8 each) , or possibly at a reasonable fee to hire for a couple of weeks. 

So please if you have a minute let me know your thoughts on what you would 

happily pay to own a set of quality swiss nut files?

or 

pay to hire and what sort of hire period you would need?

many thanks in advance of your reply.
kind regards
Andy Preston

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd buy them, assuming they're good quality and do a good job, that sounds a lot cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I'd be interested in buying a set if they are good.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30906
    Hi- the best nuts are cut using the @mdphillips1956 stealth nut file.

It's fully automated, but so subtle you can hardly see it's been used.

This is the pre-production prototype

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30906
    edited July 2015
    In fact, I found this on eBay, testimony to the @mdphillips1956 methods. You have to look really closely, but he's recut that nut, not that you'd tell straight away

If Lego made nuts....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    If a set was around the £40 mark I'd definitely be interested!
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    I'd buy a set at that price for sure, the nut files currently available are overpriced,at least for the casual tinkerer like myself.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    Gassage;691559" said:
    In fact, I found this on eBay, testimony to the @mdphillips1956 methods. You have to look really closely, but he's recut that nut, not that you'd tell straight away

If Lego made nuts....

My Nan was wondering where her dentures got to!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah I'd be interested in a set of these
  • thank you for the feedback. 

UPDATE
    These will be in the on-line shop in a week or so. Retail will be £80 for a set. 
    Customers attending the Luthier Performance clinics http://www.wudtone.com/2015/04/20/luthier-performance-clinic/  ( only one place left in Sept at the mo) will be able to get them for 25% off and also other tool options developed to help self builders confidently do 

fret levelling, A 50cm channel ( engineer ground high level of accuracy) with non clogging 400grit on it. 

You basically clamp the guitar to a desk ( strings on and tuned)  , until the neck is perfectly straight. Unless its a new build ( with un cut nut) stick a pencil in front of the existing nut to lift the strings up a bit) , The channel comes with spacers to judge when the neck is bang on straight. Once clamped dead straight the channel slides the full length of the fretboard under the strings and scrapes off any high spots until they are level (under string tension matters as this creates an s curve ( slight hump around the 12-18th fret ). To see progress  pop a bit of nobo marker on each fret, when each has fret been touched etc. works perfect every time and so cutting nut, setting neck relief for great action etc after levelling frets is a confident breeze .

then a much debated fret end shaping ,

a swiss made, swiss fine 3 cut triangular file with the edges rounded ( so you don't mark the fretboard) and these make great tools for shaping fret ends just how you want them to be shaped. Low cost,  flexible shaping as fast as your experience or desire enables, brilliant.  

then

fret recrown / polish tool , made from hard rock maple , grooved to suit particular fret wire and used with 400 grit to re crown, 1500 grit to polish. Very low cost, doesn't wear out, simple and so effective.

If you not sure / confident using such tools , we cover how to etc in the clinics etc http://www.wudtone.com/2015/04/20/luthier-performance-clinic/ 

kind regards

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    £80 too much for me! Hiring may be interesting, dependant on cost.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Gassage said:

If Lego made nuts....

the milky bar kid's guitar
  • axisus said:
    £80 too much for me! Hiring may be interesting, dependant on cost.
    open to that , by all means make a suggestion as to what you would pay and for how long. etc 

It is a bit of a faf but if it helps folks, they get better results and could save folks all the time, money you might spend messing about with cheaper options. I'm sure that has been well debated here.  It would be worth making happen. 

let me know what they are worth to hire etc.chrs
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited September 2015